wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Commercial beekeeper Tim May has worked 16-hour days, six or seven days a week for the past month to get more than a thousand hives with millions of honeybees settled in the countryside of northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

Spring has not been easy for northern Illinois beekeepers like him who lost anywhere from 40 to more than 80 percent of their hives over the fall and winter. Now they struggle to rebuild.

It was "the perfect storm" that did them in, beekeepers say. And this season, which some call their worst ever, follows what was for many one of their best — 2011-12, when their bees were healthy and the honey abundant.

Problems exist throughout the country, where preliminary figures from the American Beekeeping Federation show that 31 percent of managed bee colonies were lost this season — more than 40 percent higher than a year ago.

"I have yet to talk to anybody who came out of this year (2012-13) and didn't have some losses, notable losses," said Jim Belli, a Wadsworth beekeeper and president of the Illinois State Beekeepers Association.
In northern Illinois, last summer's drought meant less nectar and pollen available for the bees, which left bee colonies weak as autumn arrived. Then came a long winter followed by a cold spring with late blooms. That was topped off with the usual assault of parasitic mites and viruses, exposure to crop pesticides, an increasing number of single-crop farms and the decrease of bee habitat — weeds, flowers and fence rows.

Habitat is important for bees to get the nourishment they need to produce honey and pollinate plants. About one-third of our foods and beverages are made possible through pollination, mainly by honeybees, according to the federal government.

May, a third-generation beekeeper in Marengo, estimates he lost 80 percent of his 1,400 hives in the fall and winter. He found in late fall that his bees were stressed and hurting.

After replenishing, he is working with 1,300 hives this year. He bought many new bees that come in 2- and 3-pound packages, and he split some of his stronger hives into two, moving half the bees and a new queen into a new box to form a colony.

Commercial beekeeper Phil Raines, of Davis, west of Rockford, had 150 of his 500 hives die at Raines Honey Farm. He estimated his financial loss at about $30,000.

And as the bees decline in number, the price for them goes up. Raines and others predict that honey and other food prices will follow.

"There are all these straws on the camel's back, and the poor bees can't take it anymore," Raines said. "It doesn't matter how small or how large your operation is. Your bees are dying. This year is worse than any year we've had."

May agrees. He owns and operates May's Honey Farms with his father, Phil, and son, Colin. They keep 30 to 40 hives at 44 locations, generally on parcels of rural land they call bee yards. In business since 1948, the Mays sell packaged Sunny Hill Honey through independent grocers and farmers markets.

"It's gotten more and more difficult to keep bees," he said. "We had it bad about 15 years ago, but this is the worst."

Downstate beekeepers like Rich Ramsey in Rochester, east of Springfield, report minimal loss. Ramsey lost just one of his 25 hives and said he does not think beekeepers around him suffered any significant losses, but he points out that losses vary from year to year. It is not unusual, experts said, for a beekeeper to lose 5 to 25 percent of his hives each year.

But, Ramsey said, beekeeping even in the best years is not as simple as it used to be.

"I don't know much, but I do know that 30 years ago you could put bees in a hive, turn them loose and not have to worry about them," said Ramsey, vice president of the state beekeepers association. "It's a management issue now. You have to do things you didn't have to do before. It's more work."

Nationwide, the biggest news among beekeepers since 2006 has been colony collapse disorder, during which bees die and disappear. CCD is most widely recognized among large commercial operations that truck hives into California each spring to pollinate the almond groves, then move them on to orchards and crops around the country.

"We think (CCD) occurs more in large commercial operations," said Gene Robinson, entomologist and director of the Bee Research Facility at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. "However, they may be in a position to monitor more carefully and intensively than some hobby beekeepers … and those are the bees most stressed."

According to apiary inspection supervisor Steve Chard of the Illinois Department of Agriculture, there has been only one documented case of CCD in Illinois — last year in Boone County, near Rockford.

There are about 2,000 registered beekeepers statewide, managing 21,000 colonies, Chard said. Eighty-five percent are hobbyists.

Jim and Karen Belli, hobby beekeepers for 12 years, have been winning ribbons at the state fair for their honey. This season they lost 10 of 16 hives.

"We have always had some losses, but not this heavy," Jim Belli said. "For me, the two critical things were the drought and the varroa mite. The drought weakened the bees, and then the varroa took over."

The varroa destructor mite, a parasitic Asian mite the size of a pinhead, was first discovered in the U.S. in Florida in 1987. Although beekeepers can treat their hives to minimize the mite's damage, it has spread through the country like a plague, Jim Belli said.

There are efforts to breed bees that are resistant to it, Robinson said, but he cautions about other mites in other parts of the world that may be as bad if not worse. "We live in fear of getting those mites as well," he said.

The varroa mite is "no big deal" in Asia, where the bees and the mites co-evolved, and so the bees are resistant to it, he explained. Here it causes massive die-off and leads to viruses that infect the bees.

Also high on the list of bee adversaries are pesticides, particularly neonicotinoids, which are incorporated into the plant itself. European officials recently moved toward banning the nicotine-derived neonicotinoids, but U.S officials have said there is not enough evidence to support banning one group of pesticides and that the cost of banning could exceed the benefits.

At Kuipers Family Farm, near Maple Park, Wade Kuipers grows pumpkins and has 25 acres of apple orchard. For the past two years he hired Tim May to bring in bees to pollinate the apple trees, and both years they found the bees dying right outside the hives.

Kuipers questions the effect of chemicals being applied to the crops in nearby farms. A state apiary inspector removed some live bees from his hives for study, according to Chard. The results are pending.

Dead bees in front of a hive are a classic symptom of chemical poisoning, Robinson said.

Communication between farmers and beekeepers is important. Whenever possible, farmers should use materials that are less toxic to bees and apply chemicals to fields when they can minimize bee contact, Robinson said.

"Of course growers have demands on their time," he said, "but that kind of give-and-take would certainly help minimize situations."

Aurora beekeeper Charles Lorence believes "suburbia is getting to be a better place for bees than the country," because there is more variety and more bee habitat than in the country, which has become mostly corn and soybeans.

A longtime beekeeper, he lost 10 of 25 hives this year but remains "the eternal optimist," seeing promise in an increased awareness of bees and the fact that the suburbs and the city are becoming home to more hobby beekeepers.

There are no empty seats when Lorence teaches beekeeping in Wheaton, Geneva and at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Ramsey finds the same popularity downstate. Classes don't have to be advertised and the men could fill more, they said.

"It's a missionary zeal to save the honeybee," explains Lorence, who predicts that a quarter to less than half of his students will stick with beekeeping as a lifelong hobby. "Others will get stung or just lose interest."

Increased interest helps not only improve local gardens with pollination, but, Robinson said, "The more people educated and knowledgeable about hobby beekeeping and how to keep them and what their value is, the more their case can be made to the general public."

Jim Belli knows others are fascinated by his hobby. An architect, he chuckles that people at parties would rather hear about his bees than his buildings.

"I would have never thought you could become that attached to an insect, but you do," he said. "When you lose them, it's heartfelt."

Phil Raines was working in a bee yard recently on a muggy, windy afternoon near Elburn, keeping an eye on what appeared to be an approaching storm. Sweat rolled down his face under the protective bee hat and veil, and he had been stung a few times before he got the suit on. He shrugged it off.

"It's not one thing alone that's killing our bees. It's the barrage of things, one on top of the other," he said. "Even with all these trials and tribulations, the reward side of beekeeping is unimaginable. When you lose them, it breaks your heart. It's a sense of failure. Like you didn't get your job done."

link 

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
I'm curious. How many hives does a typical beekeeper have?

How about you, Troy? How many do you have?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago
I have no idea what is typical. I suppose one factor would be are they doing it commercially or a hobbyist.
Also how many other hives are in the area. IE- is there enough plants to pollinate? The story talked about one man having hives all over northern IL. I always figured the beekeeper would, at most, have them scattered over a 5-10 mile radius but that was about it.

I could see them having two or three hives in any one spot I mean bee yard and then having a couple of more a half mile away.

I seem to recall Troy saying the amateur I mean hobby keepers don't do enough to keep the mites down.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago
We lease around 3500 hives in the summer and spread them out over a 70 mile radius or so. I don't worry about all these diseases and things because the lessors take care of that. I do sometimes help them medicate.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago
that is a huge amount of hives. At least to me. No wonder you have to work so hard.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago

that is a huge amount of hives. At least to me. No wonder you have to work so hard.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I don't call you guys pussies because I'm mean. I do it because compared to me, you are! [grin1]

And just for fun, my BA at the Union Hall just sent me up to Antelope Valley Station for a six month gig at the power plant. No rest for Dumbass Dakota this summer. I'm gonna be extra ornery until November.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 years ago
Bees are big. You ask any farmer or anyone that knows anything about growing stuff...

Bees are big.

wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

I don't call you guys pussies because I'm mean. I do it because compared to me, you are! [grin1]

And just for fun, my BA at the Union Hall just sent me up to Antelope Valley Station for a six month gig at the power plant. No rest for Dumbass Dakota this summer. I'm gonna be extra ornery until November.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

who wrangles the herd when you are gone?
bees not the girls.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago

who wrangles the herd when you are gone?
bees not the girls.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I have a partner, and we hire guys. I am a jobs creator you know.

We also use some contract labor - Mexicans - who could work circles around Gunny and Texas - at any age.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

I have a partner, and we hire guys. I am a jobs creator you know.

We also use some contract labor - Mexicans - who could work circles around Gunny and Texas - at any age.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I don't know whether the Mexicans around me are illegal or not. Frankly, I don't care. Why?

There was a big deportation roundup down the road in Postville a few years back. It annoyed the heck out me. Why?

Because, IMO, the work ethic of Mexicans around here, legal or illegal, well surpasses that of the "average Americans" around them. We'd be better off with more, rather than less.

IMO the average "border control" employee (or politician ranting about immigration reform) does less for our country than the average "illegal immigrant."

Far less.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.