wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Longtime White House journalist Helen Thomas has died at age 92 after a long illness, sources told CNN Saturday.

Thomas covered 10 presidents over nearly half a century, and became a legend in the industry.

She was a fixture at White House news conferences -- sitting front and center late in her career -- where she frequently exasperated government spokesmen with her pointed questions.

she did her job well.

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/20/us/helen-thomas-obit/"]CNN[/URL]
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

she did her job well.

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/20/us/helen-thomas-obit/"]CNN[/URL]

Originally Posted by: wpr 

BULLSHIT!!!!!

Ding Dong!!! The Land of Oz is Happy tonight.

This woman epitomized the EVIL of the God damned ELITIST LEFTIST Mainstream Media.

Good Riddance, Bitch!!!

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
dfosterf
10 years ago
I thought she was a real gas-bag as she got older.

wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

I thought she was a real gas-bag as she got older.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

yeah she could be a pain. I didn't like her politics but she did ask questions no one else could.

She was a pain to everyone.

One afternoon in October 2009, she targeted President Barack Obama's spokesman, Robert Gibbs, during the daily briefing.

Health care reform was being debated at the time, and Thomas asked Gibbs every day whether a public option would be part of the package.

In the back-and-forth that ensued, Thomas said that she already had reached a conclusion but could not get a straight answer from the presidential spokesman.

"Then why do you keep asking me?" Gibbs inquired.

"Because I want your conscience to bother you," Thomas replied.

The room broke into laughter as Gibbs turned red.

she was not without some merit.

"We were never hyphenated as Arab-Americans. We were American, and I have always rejected the hyphen and I believe all assimilated immigrants should not be designated ethnically. Or separated, of course, by race, or creed either. These are trends that ever try to divide us as a people."

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 years ago
Don't get me wrong, I dig chutzpah, but she started to get a bit inane and blatantly biased as she geezed. In her prime, she was a (net) good for journalism in general, but that was a long, long time ago.

This is a somewhat convoluted analogy, but I could no more stand listening to her questions than I could listening to Sen. Byrd for YEARS (and all the b.s. accolades from his colleagues, on both sides of the aisle) when HE went hard-geezin'. Man, I wanted him to pass, or West Virginia to wake the fuck up and not re-elect him, in spite of the pork headin' their way, largely thanks to our collective confusion regarding competence vs. name recognition, popularity, pop-friggin' culture, seeking royaly in every corner- whatever it is we dumb asses as Americans like to do with these clowns.
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I dig chutzpah, but she started to get a bit inane and blatantly biased as she geezed. In her prime, she was a (net) good for journalism in general, but that was a long, long time ago.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I have no problems with this. I think her popularity increased as she did cameos in movies.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

yeah she could be a pain. I didn't like her politics but she did ask questions no one else could.

she was not without some merit.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Read your own examples. Yeah, she harrassed Obama's guy a little bit - ABOUT NOT GOING FAR ENOUGH IN THE LEFTIST DIRECTION. The reason she was loved so much by the leftist assholes was because she harrassed Reagan and both Bushes from the ANTI-AMERICAN point of view. I suppose you could point out that she was "fair" because she nagged Clinton over his personal foibles - yeah, but nary a word about anything political. She was MUCH more extreme from the left than Ann Coulter, for example, from the right, and it makes me absolutely SICK that she is painted as something other than the evil bitch she was. All that and the disgusting pro-Muslim/anti-Jew, anti-Israel crap she spewed.

I say again, Good Riddance to the God damned evil piece of shit. May she rot in hell.

OlHoss1884
10 years ago
you sound bitter. Maybe your post makes more sense in the original German.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

you sound bitter. Maybe your post makes more sense in the original German.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

Hell yeah I'm bitter! I grew up watching that God damned COMMUNIST Walter Cronkite propagandize the country, and people with Good Normal America-loving views get ridiculed by ELITISTS just like that evil bitch. They have the GALL to call her a JOURNALIST and make her out to be something other than the piece of shit she is, while disparaging anybody with a slant toward the pro-American side. Ann Coulter is every bit the "journalist" the dead bitch is, yet she is routinely spit on by the God damned left-biased America-hating mainstream media. Same for Limbaugh, Hannity, and many others who simply REFLECT the good normal views of good normal Americans.

Rot in hell, Helen Thomas. Burn right next to Murrow, Cronkite, Russert, Brinkley, etc. - "iconic journalists" i.e. left wing bastards one and all.

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Journalists should be scruffy pain-in-the-ass bastards. People garbed in wrinkled corduroy or two-day-dirty white shirts. People who have scars and unhealthy habits. People who will stare at a microfilm screen for hours and who will hang out on the wrong side of town. People who don't give a damn for being photogenic. People who don't desire to be a news anchor. People who like digging up dirt regardless of whose dirt it is. People who can use the English language like a stiletto, like a baseball bat, like a velvet glove or like a boxing glove. Who can whisper in the reader's ear like Bacall, and make smartass remarks like Bogart. Who can thunder like John Wayne, sneer like John Malcovich, and knock you up side of the head like Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Someone who doesn't buy this bullshit modernist distinction between "good reporting" and "commentary" because she knows that commentary done without hitting the streets and doing the research and dealing with the shit of actual real world stories, journalistic editorializing isn't worth shit.

Frankly, I don't give a damn anymore whether Helen Thomas or 99.99 percent of the White House press corps is a liberal and ignores "the other side."

To me, the problem is that we have to choose between the Helen Thomases and the Ann Coulters and the Andy Rooneys and the O'Reillys and the Olbermanns of the world.

I miss Ernie Pyle (okay, he was dead before I heard of him, but in my days as a historian, I've read a good deal of his stuff).

I miss Dr. Z.

I miss real reporters.

I miss Mike Royko.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (38m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.