MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — The reason it was noteworthy was that it went against the Green Bay Packers' tried-and-true methodology.

A few days after veteran Pro Bowl center Scott Wells signed a lucrative free-agent deal (four years, $24 million, $13 million guaranteed) with the St. Louis Rams in March 2012, the Packers turned around and added not only an unrestricted free agent, but one who was no spring chicken: Ex-Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday, who signed a relatively inexpensive two-year deal ($7.75 million, with $4 million in combined pay for 2012) to replace him.

At most positions, the Packers would have simply promoted the next young player on the depth chart, or allowed multiple young players to compete for the job. And the Packers did have young center already on the roster in Evan Dietrich-Smith, who was entering his third NFL season and had started three games in 2011 in spot duty.

But, as coach Mike McCarthy explained at the NFL Meetings that year in Palm Beach, Fla., he was uncomfortable with the idea of a young player taking over the center position, given the complexity of the Packers' offense and his plans to expand use of the no-huddle with quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

"I think the way we play on offense it's important to have a veteran center," McCarthy explained. "I think Jeff will handle those types of little nuances very well, and he may bring a nuance or two to the table. You have to tap into the experience that him and (ex-Colts quarterback) Peyton (Manning) have had for so long in Indianapolis."

As it turned out, the Packers probably would have been better off simply giving the job to Dietrich-Smith, since that's what they ended up doing anyway with two weeks left in the regular season, when McCarthy benched Saturday anyway. While Saturday brought the intelligence and leadership the offense needed and was still good as a pass protector (three sacks, two hurries and five hits allowed, according to ProFootballFocus), he struggled in the run game and his age — 37 — finally caught up to him.

In truth, what Dietrich-Smith lacked in experience, he made up for with a much-needed tough-guy edge. His football I.Q. was probably high enough to allow him to play sooner, according to quarterback Aaron Rodgers' rave reviews of him. After starting the final four games (two regular-season, two postseason), he's now technically the only constant on an offensive line where both tackles and both guards will be on the opposite side of where they were last year.

"More than anything, having a center like Evan who brings some crazy energy to practice every day and brings a wealth of knowledge and intelligence, that really helps," Rodgers said. "Because when he can be in the middle and have two incredibly intelligent guards next to him, you can do a lot of things."

Dietrich-Smith has certainly matured as he enters his fourth (credited) NFL season. He has seen action at three positions (left guard, center and right guard) the past two seasons, and whatever faith the teams might have lacked in him before last season, the coaches are now at the other extreme.

The only other true centers on the roster are undrafted rookie free agent Patrick Lewis of Texas A&M, and first-year man Garth Gerhart. Greg Van Roten, who was promoted from the practice squad last season as an undrafted free agent, is the top backup on the interior line, but it's abundantly clear that the team is not only counting on Dietrich-Smith to play, but play very well.

"For him, it's a matter of just to keep growing. He's made a lot of big strides in the last two years," offensive line coach James Campen said. "Playing the center position, it's a command and he has to generate enthusiasm in and out of the huddle, tempo, along with making calls.

"(He needs to) just keep progressing and attack it the same way he did when he started attacking his game at a serious level two years ago. That's been talked about before. He changed his work ethic, his habits, and just to continue to grow in that role."

For his part, Dietrich-Smith is looking forward to a year where he's locked in at his position — "It's definitely a lot easier when you can focus in on one spot and work all your techniques for that," he said — and having been retained with the low qualifying offer as a restricted free agent, Dietrich-Smith will play this year at $1.323 million with the potential of earning much bigger dollars as an unrestricted free agent next spring if he plays well.

An undrafted free agent out of Idaho State, the 6-foot-2, 308-pound Dietrich-Smith made the team in 2009 and was active for 13 games, mostly playing special teams. The Packers cut him on the final roster reduction at the end of training camp in 2010, though, and he spent most of 2010 out of football until the Packers re-signed him the final week of the regular season when injuries hit. He never played a snap that season, but he considered his experience a wake-up call.

He decided to take a more professional approach entering 2011, and that led to this opportunity. What he does from here is up to him — and vital to the team's 2013 success.

"Last year, he was a guy we really hadn't seen play much but obviously everybody trusted him when he got in there he played well," right guard T.J. Lang said. "And finally got the chance last year to take over that center job and really hasn't looked back.

"He's just a guy that keeps overcoming all the adversity he's been through, and he's really a great guy to have there in the center of the line. He's a smart guy and athletic. He can really get the job done for us."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Yes, but #7? I think EDS will do fine, but I can't see putting him as the 7th most important Packer or even the 7th most important question or decision or whatever.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Yes, but #7? I think EDS will do fine, but I can't see putting him as the 7th most important Packer or even the 7th most important question or decision or whatever.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Try telling that to Aaron Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Try telling that to Aaron Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I wouldn't want to argue with Aaron Rodgers, but I think he has a strict policy of "speak no ill about fellow Packers", and that goes double for those standing between him and the other team. Did he even say anything bad about Saturday? I'm just saying that EDS should be good and a big improvement, but if he wasn't there, and it was Lang, Lewis, Gerhart, or whoever, the difference wouldn't be enough to rank #7 in importance.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

He's important in that, if he goes down, we got nobody else.

At least, nobody proven.

Maybe Lang or Van Roten could get it done. MAYBE.

Seems like a rookie would be hard pressed to step in and just take over, being that it's apparently a very complicated position, as far a making calls for the Oline blocking assignments and whatnot. Whatever. I still like Patrick Lewis. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
OlHoss1884
10 years ago
Is Lewis the kid from Texas A&M? I agree that EDS belongs somewhere up on the list for the injury factor...long term the kid might be a better center but I wouldn't want him to get pressed into service too early in the year. In addition, I think an adequate center with adequate guard play will work, but a bad center with any kind of guard play, like with Saturday last year, means a long year for a-Rod and the RB stable.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (58m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.