MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Perhaps it will be, as Aaron Rodgers affectionately calls him, "The Used Car Salesman," who steps to the fore. Or maybe one of the rookies — second-round pick Eddie Lacy, or fourth-round pick Johnathan Franklin — will prove ready from the jump. Or perhaps Alex Green, who had the misfortune of not recovering from his torn anterior cruciate ligament the way that Adrian Peterson fellow did, will be the player the coaches hoped he'd be last year. Or maybe, just maybe, James Starks will put his long injury history behind him and manage to stay healthy, since the guy's been pretty good when he hasn't been hurt.

Or perhaps they will utilize some or all of them, playing to each of their strengths and proving that running back by committee can work if you have better talent on the committee.

Whatever happens, however it happens, this much is clear: The Green Bay Packers need someone — anyone — to step up and be the kind of running back that teams actually think might be worth paying attention to.

Because last year, no matter who was back there, defenses didn't.

"It had an effect," offensive coordinator Tom Clements said of the lack of a running threat. "In previous years, our action passing game was very productive. We hit some big shots down the field. And we didn't get the type of reaction on the run-fakes that we had gotten previously, when we were able to run the ball better. Hopefully we get that and they have to come up and stop it, and we get that reaction."

That will require more production than last season, when Green carried 135 times for 464 yards (3.4-yard average), Starks ran 71 times for 255 yards (3.6-yard average), veteran Cedric Benson ran 71 times for 248 yards (3.5-yard average) and Harris burst onto the scene late and ran 34 times for 127 yards (4.6 yard average).

At season's end, it was Harris — the same guy who'd been out of football and working at a Jacksonville car dealership when the Packers called and added him to the practice squad on Oct. 24 — who was serving as the lead back and rushing 28 times for 100 yards and two touchdowns in the playoffs.

Although he ceded some of the built-in advantage as the quasi-incumbent by missing the entire offseason — first with an undisclosed injury, then after having a fist-size cyst surgically removed from his lung — the 5-foot-8, 203-pound Harris has at least one person in his corner as he prepares to battle Lacy, Franklin, Green and Starks for the No. 1 role.

"I love 'The Used Car Salesman.' I think he's a special player," quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "I think DuJuan Harris is an incredible combination of strength and agility for a man of his size, and I'm excited about seeing what he can do as a featured back.

"It's (also) been good having Johnathan and Eddie here. I think you're seen Alex Green and James Starks do some really good things this spring. It's going to be a tough competition for however many guys they keep at that spot."

The 5-11, 230-pound Lacy and the 5-10, 205-pound Franklin are vastly different players — Lacy should be fascinating to watch once the pads come on in training camp starting July 26, and Franklin's suddenness was impossible to miss in shorts and helmets — but both were able to carry the load as featured backs in college. Whether they get the chance to do that as rookies depends on how quickly they pick up the offense, including pass-blocking.

Even Rodgers, despite his affinity for Harris, sees potential in both.

"Both Johnathan and Eddie bring some different things to the table. Johnathan's a quick, athletic, loose-hipped guy who can make guys miss in the open field regularly, and Eddie is a power back who also has some agility," Rodgers explained. "You saw (Lacy) on some power runs, especially this spring, where he's been able to read his blocks and make guys miss. He's a very patient runner, which we haven't had here in awhile. I think you saw some of that with Cedric but really since Ahman (Green) was in his heyday, we haven't seen anyone be as patient back there.

"I think this training camp will be really important for him, to go from a high pick to a guy who can really be a difference-maker for us in the backfield. I think when he figures out the mental part of this, which I think he's getting closer, I think he could be a very talented back for us."

Rodgers recognizes that his life would be considerably easier if the running backs — alone or in unison — present a genuine threat to opposing defenses, as he believes Benson was starting to do when he suffered a season-ending foot injury last Oct. 7 at Indianapolis. The bottom line? Whoever is christened the No. 1 back will be vital to the offene's success.

"There's competition at that spot. No doubt," Clements said. "You've got James and Alex and DuJuan from last year, who came in and did well, and now you have the two rookie (draft picks) in the mix, and the free agent (Angelo Pease) as well, who's a good player. So it's a talented group, and it'll make our team better and that position better."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Quantity doesn't really help that much, though. What we need is for at least one of those guys to emerge as special - vision, strength to break tackles, cutting, at least some degree of breakaway speed. My bet is on Lacy.

Unlike what some have said, I DON'T want to see a major change in play calling. Oh sure, run most of the time on 3rd and short, that would be nice, but mostly I want the Packers to still be a pass first team, and the enhanced running ability - hopefully - to be used mostly as a threat so that Aaron Rodgers can be even more efficient and super than before in the passing game.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
warhawk
10 years ago

Quantity doesn't really help that much, though. What we need is for at least one of those guys to emerge as special - vision, strength to break tackles, cutting, at least some degree of breakaway speed. My bet is on Lacy.

Unlike what some have said, I DON'T want to see a major change in play calling. Oh sure, run most of the time on 3rd and short, that would be nice, but mostly I want the Packers to still be a pass first team, and the enhanced running ability - hopefully - to be used mostly as a threat so that Aaron Rodgers can be even more efficient and super than before in the passing game.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I like the quantity of talent from two different angles.
First, from a depth perspective. It's highly unlikely there will not be injuries at the RB position. I can see less drop off in production with all the talent there.

Secondly, this amount of diverse talent will allow to go with the guy that gets hot and is the right fit for the D they are playing on any given week. Certainly the goal is for an Eddie Lacy to standout and clearly show he can be the horse they ride but there will be times where the RB styles of a Franklin or Harris will be very effective.

There is nothing wrong with quantity when the quality is there and I would say this is the most talented group of RB's we've seen in a very looooong time.

"The train is leaving the station."
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Play calling. I don't want to see us passing as much on 2nd and 3rd and 1. Do it a couple times but we have made it a habit these past couple years and that's no good.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
nerdmann
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Instead of the FB dive to Kuhn, I'd like to see us develop a classic WCO screen/short passing game. Johnathan Franklin and Alex Green would look pretty good as Roger Craig.

However, it will be interesting to see if controlling clock to help out our suspect defense will even be a consideration to Mike.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
TheKanataThrilla
10 years ago

Instead of the FB dive to Kuhn, I'd like to see us develop a classic WCO screen/short passing game. Johnathan Franklin and Alex Green would look pretty good as Roger Craig.

However, it will be interesting to see if controlling clock to help out our suspect defense will even be a consideration to Mike.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Our sad running attempt on 3rd and 1 will hopefully be a thing in the past. I am still thinking that Franklin will be the shocking rookie for this season. His intangibles seem to match very well with A-Rod and I do see defences having fits trying to figure out what we will do. Fakes on the short game set up deep throws to our WRs. My only concern is a sure handed TE which should be a check-down safe.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Our sad running attempt on 3rd and 1 will hopefully be a thing in the past. I am still thinking that Franklin will be the shocking rookie for this season. His intangibles seem to match very well with A-Rod and I do see defences having fits trying to figure out what we will do. Fakes on the short game set up deep throws to our WRs. My only concern is a sure handed TE which should be a check-down safe.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Eddie Lacy is money on short yardage. He also gets better in the clutch.

Gonna be fun to watch.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
The yards are all the same no matter who's name is on them.

It doesn't matter if there is one guy getting 100 yards or 4 guys totaling 100.

The teams with a feature back putting up top 5 rushing totals each year are not the ones winning super bowls.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
UserPostedImage

With an improved run game in 2013, I'm hoping for more 10-15 play dives. Let'em drop two safeties back and Rodgers, the WRs and the RBs will chew defenses up short this year! With any luck, the image I posted will become a figment of the past.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
10 years ago

UserPostedImage

With an improved run game in 2013, I'm hoping for more 10-15 play dives. Let'em drop two safeties back and Rodgers, the WRs and the RBs will chew defenses up short this year! With any luck, the image I posted will become a figment of the past.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

My fear is that defenses will keep their safeties deep, because they KNOW Mike and Aaron won't run the ball or throw short anyway, even if they can.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.