MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — No one is more keenly aware of the expectations for Tramon Williams than his head coach, Mike McCarthy; his position coach, cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt; or Williams himself.

And as the Green Bay Packers veteran cornerback enters the 2013 season committed to recapturing the 2010 form that put him in the upper echelon of NFL cover men, McCarthy, Whitt and Williams are all convinced that he can be that player once again, despite two somewhat disappointing seasons after suffering nerve damage in his shoulder in a collision in the 2011 regular-season opener.

"Tramon Williams has obviously set a standard of play for himself. And that's really where you want him to get back to," McCarthy said as the offseason organized team activity practices and minicamp wrapped up. "I always remembered when we signed Tramon and how he worked his way up on the practice squad. To me he would be the poster child for someone to come in to an NFL ballclub, particularly our place, you give a young man an opportunity... sitting in the front row, taking notes and just doing the things the right way.

"Yes, he's had a significant injury in the past that he's dealt with. He is truly one of the ultimate professionals on our football team. We just want to get him back play back to the standard that he has set."

That standard set by Williams was that of a shutdown corner. In 20 games (including playoffs) during the Packers' Super Bowl XLV-winning season of 2010, Williams tallied 77 tackles, one sack, an eye-popping nine interceptions (including three in the playoffs) and broke up 31 passes. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Williams played a team-high 1,256 defensive snaps that season and was thrown 123 times. He allowed 56 completions for 690 yards, and quarterbacks had a passer rating of just 42.4 when throwing at him. He gave up four touchdowns that season against nine INTs and missed nine tackles. His most unforgettable play that season was a game-turning interception return for a touchdown in the NFC Divisional Playoff game at Atlanta.

Then came the Sept. 8, 2011 opener against the New Orleans Saints. Inadvertently hit by safety Nick Collins late in the game, Williams suffered nerve damage in his right shoulder that caused him to miss the following week's game at Carolina. When he returned, he struggled with being physical — both at the line of scrimmage, when jamming receivers in man-to-man press coverage, and when tackling receivers after the catch.

Even during the offseason leading up to last season, Williams' shoulder wasn't at full strength. Nonetheless, he had some shutdown moments, like he did in Week 2 against Chicago, when Brandon Marshall caught just two passes for 24 yards after talking a big game in the days leading up to the matchup.

But he also had some ugly moments. One came against the New York Giants on Nov. 25, when he appeared to turn down a tackle on a 59-yard screen pass to Ahmad Bradshaw. Both Williams and Whitt said afterward that Williams misread the play but wasn't afraid to hit Bradshaw. The other came on a 17-yard completion to Minnesota fullback Jerome Felton in the Packers' regular-season ending loss to the Vikings at the Metrodome.

"Tramon played very solid. Now he had some glaringly bad plays," Whitt acknowledged. "I hear people saying, 'Tramon can't play.' They're wrong. They're wrong. They're taking a few glaringly bad plays and saying a man can't play where I'm going to tell you this, there's few guys that I would take over him. I don't know if there's any that I would take over him because when he's allowed to do what he does best, he's pretty good, and that's just what it is."

"And so I know some people are going to say he's protecting his player. No, that's just what it is because after the season I went back and watched every play, over 1,200 plays, the guy can play, and he played physical, too. Let me clear that up too. You go back and watch the games. Now, did he miss the tackle on the fullback from Minnesota? Yeah, but he went up there and hit it. We're going to miss some tackles.

"He's going to play fine this year. He's not what I'm worried about."

Nor is Williams worried about his health. During OTAs he said he is "healthy enough" to be the player he's been in the past.

"I'm feeling better than I've felt in a long time," Williams said. "I've done some stuff in the offseason, got into yoga, and I'm feeling really good. I'm playing really well, feeling confident, the whole nine (yards)."

One thing that could play into Williams' resurgence: Whitt plays on letting his corners play the way they feel most comfortable, giving them some latitude whenever possible to decide for themselves whether to play off coverage or press-man coverage. Now, some defensive calls will require a certain coverage; other times, Whitt said, defensive coordinator Dom Capers will build into his defensive call a coverage that's best for each cover man.

After intercepting only two passes last year — a startlingly low number after his six regular-season picks in 2010 and four in 2011 — Williams believes having the opportunity to play off his man more frequently will lead to more big plays.

"(Whitt) is going to give us freedom to do what we like, what we're good at. In the past year or two, we've done some different things — according to some calls, you have to play a certain way. whatever way is the best way to play, that's how they're going to let us play," Williams said. "For me, it's going to be mixed up. I don't think you can do one thing the whole game and not have the quarterback begin to pick up on you. If you can mix it up, I think you'll definitely have a lot of success."

"My thing is, I had some bad-looking plays last year, but with the exception of me not getting a lot of turnovers, I felt that I played well. If I came down with some of those interceptions, it would be a different story, it would be a different topic, but I only ended up with two interceptions. I had a chance to get more but didn't, but that's the way I feel: If I would have had more, it would have been a different story."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I'd put Tramon a lot higher than #14. With any luck, he is better this year than last because of slowly recovering from the injury. And he was still good enough last year to cover the best the opponents had. I will be VERY disappointed if the Packers dump Tramon Williams for whatever reason.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I get frustrated with CBs when they hold, but Woodson held a lot and he is a great player. Heck all players hold at one point or another in a game. I really don't have any issues with Tramon blowing assignments from what generally see and he has great instincts. I suppose we are all just waiting for him to be the old Tramon again... specifically Atlanta playoff Tramon.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

I get frustrated with CBs when they hold, but Woodson held a lot and he is a great player. Heck all players hold at one point or another in a game. I really don't have any issues with Tramon blowing assignments from what generally see and he has great instincts. I suppose we are all just waiting for him to be the old Tramon again... specifically Atlanta playoff Tramon.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Hayward made Woodson expendable.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
yooperfan
10 years ago
Things have been kind of quiet on the Tramon Williams status.
Is he getting close to coming back?
Will he be coming back?
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
I'm glad we've got depth at CB. Hopefully Tramon can make a comeback this year. It' will be interesting to see how much our "improved front seven" helps our CBs.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.