Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 5:26:54 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,832
Applause Received: 1,978

There was an airplane crash in San Francisco in which one of the two whom died may have been ran over by a first responder. The comments talk about a pending lawsuit for those who were hurt. It reminded me of something I heard in a movie 20 years ago.

Deak: Do you have any idea what we are gonna do to you, if we find one itty, bitty scratch on 'em?
ShepRamsey : Let me guess. You're gonna pound my face. Break every bone in my body. Then you're gonna drag me across a gravel road and feed my remains to a warthog. Is that about right?
Deak: What are you nuts? This is the '90s. We're gonna sue you.

I worried about that mentality getting worse with our country and mainly society. It seems to have done just that and lawyers are basically the most powerful group in this country.

A few comments were mentioned regarding the hot coffee lawsuit and some were saying that the case was not frivolous and the elderly lady had every right to sue. What do you folks know about this? Personally, if you spill coffee or some other hot drink on yourself, I think it's on you, not the temperature of the coffee.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 6:55:15 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Of course, suing ain't necessarily winning.

They shouldn't take away the right to sue. Sheesh! You're so hot for freedom in the other thread, then here you want to casually throw away a fairly fundamental freedom? Redress of grievances or whatever it's called?

One person's "frivolous" is another person's sincere injury. What they maybe should do is tort reform. Ol' Hoss had a great idea in the other thread about that. Also, there could maybe be a mechanism for directed verdicts - the judge can limit or overturn results similar to what they can do now in favor of a criminal defendant. I hate trial lawyers, and I sure don't just want to make sure they don't lose business, but you start limiting the right to sue, and SOMEBODY has to make a potentially unfair decision taking away that freedom for redress of grievance.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 7:21:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Of course, suing ain't necessarily winning.

They shouldn't take away the right to sue. Sheesh! You're so hot for freedom in the other thread, then here you want to casually throw away a fairly fundamental freedom? Redress of grievances or whatever it's called?

One person's "frivolous" is another person's sincere injury. What they maybe should do is tort reform. Ol' Hoss had a great idea in the other thread about that. Also, there could maybe be a mechanism for directed verdicts - the judge can limit or overturn results similar to what they can do now in favor of a criminal defendant. I hate trial lawyers, and I sure don't just want to make sure they don't lose business, but you start limiting the right to sue, and SOMEBODY has to make a potentially unfair decision taking away that freedom for redress of grievance.

You really have a twisted way of viewing things. I didn't say they should take away the right to sue. Did I? No. I am saying it seems like we Americans think if we don't like something, rather than do something about it, we hire an attorney.

There is definitely a place for litigation, however, not every place is for litigation. There should be a line drawn somewhere.

If I sell hot coffee, I shouldn't have to worry about my FREEDOM being taken away by some clumsily person who spills it on themselves. Use your freedom to not be a dipstick and be careful with what you already know is HOT coffee.

This lady who was burnt, it could have been a sincere injury. But if I cut my arm with a knife, I don't think that gives me the right to sue the manufacturer. Just the same, if someone robs you and you cause them physical pain, I don't think it's right that the burglar can sue YOU for said harm. Don't laugh, it has happened many times.

I think if you started reading my comments as non-extremist, you'd have a better understanding of me. I am neither extreme in any direction. I fluctuate based on what I learn and through experiences.

UserPostedImage
#4 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 7:29:48 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
You really have a twisted way of viewing things. I didn't say they should take away the right to sue. Did I? No. I am saying it seems like we Americans think if we don't like something, rather than do something about it, we hire an attorney.

There is definitely a place for litigation, however, not every place is for litigation. There should be a line drawn somewhere.

If I sell hot coffee, I shouldn't have to worry about my FREEDOM being taken away by some clumsily person who spills it on themselves. Use your freedom to not be a dipstick and be careful with what you already know is HOT coffee.

This lady who was burnt, it could have been a sincere injury. But if I cut my arm with a knife, I don't think that gives me the right to sue the manufacturer. Just the same, if someone robs you and you cause them physical pain, I don't think it's right that the burglar can sue YOU for said harm. Don't laugh, it has happened many times.

I think if you started reading my comments as non-extremist, you'd have a better understanding of me. I am neither extreme in any direction. I fluctuate based on what I learn and through experiences.

hahahaha I hope you know I'm just teasing you - mostly.

So you're NOT saying take away the right to sue; Just that we should have better judgment or better sense about when to sue or not sue? OK, I guess ....... but spill some hot coffee on yourself and see how good YOUR judgment is, temporarily anyway. Myself, I can identify more with somebody who gets pissed off and goes after the bastard (or bastard company) in the most effective way possible. Kick me in the ass for being the way I am hahahaha, but I also can identify with the OPPORTUNIST who takes advantage of a little bit of spilled coffee to have a nice fat payday. Would you legislate away THAT freedom? hahahahaha

Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 7:37:30 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Ahh, yes, the opportunists of the world... scum bags. Although, I should acknowledge I liken that word directly to those who bought up thousands upon thousands of .com domains before I had a chance to get the ONE I freaking wanted! So, a little bias is met with the word "opportunist" lol

UserPostedImage
#6 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 7:45:05 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Ahh, yes, the opportunists of the world... scum bags. Although, I should acknowledge I liken that word directly to those who bought up thousands upon thousands of .com domains before I had a chance to get the ONE I freaking wanted! So, a little bias is met with the word "opportunist" lol

Aw, admit it, if you could time travel, you'd go back and buy 'em all up first and make an even bigger profit hahahaha.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 7:48:48 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Aw, admit it, if you could time travel, you'd go back and buy 'em all up first and make an even bigger profit hahahaha.

If I could time travel, I'd put some money into Yahoo stock and Microsoft stock and then yank out in '98.

THEN buy up all the domains lol ... no I wouldn't. I am one of those odd people who doesn't take more than he needs. You're probably not familiar with that mentality.

UserPostedImage
Offline OlHoss1884  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 12:54:44 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 140

Have to go with Tex on this one...they have the RIGHT to sue, but if they do and it isn't warranted, they are d-bags for doing so, and IF they do, a jury can still tell them to piss off. "Can" and "Should" get mixed up a lot in this country.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 1:07:21 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
Have to go with Tex on this one...they have the RIGHT to sue, but if they do and it isn't warranted, they are d-bags for doing so, and IF they do, a jury can still tell them to piss off. "Can" and "Should" get mixed up a lot in this country.

I guess I wasn't clear the first time. Again, NO ONE said we shouldn't have the right to sue.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed