You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:14:43 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,789

Quote:
Ask any current and former NFL player and they will tell you that they had to overcome some type of adversity during their career. They will also tell you they’ve matured and have moved on since then. Rarely, however, do some actually live up to their word. For Damond Smith, he’s not only living up to it, but he’s setting the example for players to follow.

Smith grew up with five siblings, two older and younger brothers and one sister, in Ecourse, Michigan. At the age of seven, Smith first laced up his cleats and strapped on his helmet in the travel leagues of Michigan. He played in that league up until high school.

Being one of the bigger kids and the harder hitters, Smith always played linebacker and running back growing up. It wasn’t until he got to Cass Tech High School where he switched to corner and played with some of the best corners to come out of the state of Michigan.

“Cass Tech sent corners to D-1 schools every years. It was great because I got to learn under the best,” said Smith.

Cass Tech sent players to Oregon, Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan, and a number of other top Division-1 football programs. For Smith, he was ready to add his name to the list of quality corners to come out of Cass Tech.

Following his junior year, Smith’s family moved and with that so did where he went to high school. For his senior year, he attended and started at cornerback for Inkster High School. In the state semi-finals, Smith led the team with three interceptions and returned two of them for touchdowns. Unfortunately, they fell in the state finals to East Grand Rapids.

Coming out of high school, Smith was the 189th ranked cornerback on Scout.com. In Michigan, he was the top ranked corner and 32nd ranked overall player in the state. Smith was also a member of the Detroit News Blue Chip List in 2009. Following high school, Smith had all the top mid-west schools after him.

“Michigan, Western Michigan, all the MAC school, Utah, and few other Big 10 schools were after me. I took official visits to UMass and Western Michigan,” said Smith.

For Smith, the move to become a Western Michigan Bronco was fairly simple. It was close to home and he could play right away. He signed his letter of intent and in the fall of 2009 he was on the campus of Western Michigan.

Right away, Smith got playing time and appeared in all 11 of WMU’s games. One of his most memorable career moments came in his first ever game in front of 110,000 in the Big House on the campus of the University of Michigan.

“That opened my eyes to college football. The atmosphere was amazing and I was lining up against guys that I used to watch on TV. It was surreal,” said Smith. He finished with four tackles in his first career game against the Wolverines.

read the rest
http://www.beyondsportsn...g-road-back-damond-smith

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:27:28 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 348
Applause Received: 209

You can never have too many good Corners ...... although if this guy pans out, and Hyde and that FA signed before the draft, we must be approaching the limit hahaha.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:13:21 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Guy can sure cover.... And tackles pretty well. Hard hitter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_MVjlgZE4
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 2:53:52 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 843
Applause Received: 547

Dame Smith maybe the best UDFA signing. I am shocked at his level of play amazing hitter, tackler, raw football instincts, ability to read and react.

Just watch that video. This kid will make it.
Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:58:55 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 598

This guy is one of my favorite rookies so far. He looks like a beast. Hopefully he keeps that attitude against the big boys.
Offline play2win  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:53:32 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

I really wish Damond well with the Packers. He's had a hell of a struggle to get this far, and it would be great to see him take control of his life in the most positive of ways, and build on what he does best, playing CB and stopping his opponent.

I would love to see what this kid could do on STs to start. That may prove to be his road onto this team. What a tackler!
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:31:05 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,105
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
Guy can sure cover.... And tackles pretty well. Hard hitter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_MVjlgZE4

How big is he? Could he play S?

I heard a rumor they might bring Charles back at a reduced price...
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:44:10 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
How big is he? Could he play S?

I heard a rumor they might bring Charles back at a reduced price...

This guy? 6-0 175

I think Damond Smith could play Safety, but he seems to have really good CB skills. Sound tackler.
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:52:59 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,105
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
This guy? 6-0 175

I think Damond Smith could play Safety, but he seems to have really good CB skills. Sound tackler.

Yeah, that's a CB. Too light for a S.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:19:55 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

This guy? 6-0 175

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, that's a CB. Too light for a S.

I was looking for his size.. Damn I really wanted to see if they could maybe see what he has at safety. He sure can fly, and tackle like an animal.
Offline greengold  
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:45:41 PM(UTC)
greengold

Applause Given: 9
Applause Received: 7

Any sign of this guy? Did he make it to the tryouts?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 5:02:49 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

lol do a google search on his name and our site shows up in the top five. :)

He's in the Supplemental Draft. And that confuses me.

Darin Gantt wrote:
According to a report by Rob Rang of CBSSports.com, the league informed teams over the weekend that six players would be eligible to be drafted in Thursday’s version. If a team takes a player, they lose the corresponding choice in next year’s draft.

The six players are: UNLV defensive end James Boyd, UNLV defensive tackle Nate Holloway, Central Florida defensive end Toby Jackson, Houston wide receiver DeWayne Peace, Purdue wide receiver O.J. Ross and South Alabama defensive back Damond Smith.

Nevermind, confusion over.

"The Packers reportedly tried signing him to a try-out deal this spring before the league said he should go in the supplemental pool."

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 7/8/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 5:17:39 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Thanks for clearing that up Zero2Cool. I really wanted to see this kid in the green & gold. Couldn't figure out what had happened... I thought we had him signed.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 5:20:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Thanks for clearing that up Zero2Cool. I really wanted to see this kid in the green & gold. Couldn't figure out what had happened... I thought we had him signed.

I'm wondering if the Packers use a 7th on him or if everyone skips him over and the Packers sign him anyway? I kinda wanna see this one in camp. I did as much reading up on him as I could. (there's not much out there on him)

UserPostedImage
Offline DarkaneRules  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 9:26:39 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 132
Applause Received: 197

A good player to develop for the team that gets to sign him. He takes good angles with his tackles. That is what impressed me most.