Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
This is my ranking by how good they were compared to the NFL average for their careers.
Sid is over 25 above average
The Mr Average award goes to John Hadl. He was the most average QB in the history of the NFL. He did set 1 record though.

Most tie games.

Rank Quarterback QBPRD
1 Sid Luckman+ 25.80
2 Sammy Baugh+ 22.02
3 Otto Graham+ 22.00
4 Aaron Rodgers  21.78
5 Steve Young+ 20.55
6 Roger Staubach+ 17.75
7 Joe Montana+ 17.40
8 Tommy Thompson 17.30
9 Norm Van Brocklin+ 16.00
10 Len Dawson+ 15.55
11 Sonny Jurgensen+ 15.47
12 Tom Brady 14.82
13 Peyton Manning  14.47
14 George Ratterman 13.81
15 Bart Starr+ 13.46
16 Kurt Warner 13.43
17 Fran Tarkenton+ 13.28
18 Ken Anderson 12.73
19 Tony Romo 12.51
20 Drew Brees 12.22
21 Philip Rivers 11.41
22 Johnny Unitas+ 11.32
23 Y.A. Tittle+ 11.19
24 Bob Griese+ 10.57
25 Bob Berry 10.41
26 Bert Jones 10.34
27 Dan Marino+ 10.18
28 Danny White 10.03
29 Dan Fouts+ 9.97
30 Ben Roethlisberger 9.61
31 Frank Ryan 9.32
32 Chad Pennington 8.85
33 Matt Schaub 8.81
34 Neil Lomax 8.44
35 Jim Kelly+ 8.25
36 Charlie Conerly 7.99
37 Joe Theismann 7.46
38 Earl Morrall 7.40
39 Daunte Culpepper 7.35
40 Rich Gannon 7.24
41 Ken Stabler 7.11
42 Jeff Garcia 7.05
43 Roman Gabriel 6.90
44 Arnie Herber+ 6.77
45 Bob Waterfield+ 6.63
46 Brett Favre 6.55
47 Matt Ryan 6.52
48 Trent Green 6.25
49 Billy Wade 6.15
50 Bernie Kosar 5.87
51 Brian Sipe 5.84
52 Bobby Thomason 5.80
53 Craig Morton 5.80
54 Dave Krieg 5.76
55 Don Meredith 5.68
56 Daryle Lamonica 5.19
57 Ken O'Brien 5.11
58 Boomer Esiason 5.06
59 Randall Cunningham 5.01
60 John Brodie 4.99
61 Gary Danielson 4.93
62 Steve Bartkowski 4.63
63 Bill Munson 4.63
64 Tony Eason 4.61
65 Warren Moon+ 4.55
66 Greg Landry 4.48
67 Donovan McNabb 4.48
68 Billy Kilmer 4.48
69 Jeff Hostetler 4.47
70 Troy Aikman+ 4.43
71 Neil O'Donnell 4.08
72 Milt Plum 3.97
73 Glenn Dobbs 3.93
74 Phil Simms 3.83
75 Mark Brunell 3.75
76 John Elway+ 3.73
77 David Garrard 3.71
78 Steve McNair 3.58
79 Terry Bradshaw+ 3.27
80 Carson Palmer 3.11
81 Brad Johnson 3.07
82 Steve Beuerlein 3.04
83 Marc Bulger 3.00
84 Jeff George 2.98
85 Shaun Hill 2.78
86 Bill Kenney 2.76
87 Brian Griese 2.72
88 Jim McMahon 2.43
89 Jim Everett 2.37
90 Bobby Layne+ 2.36
91 Bobby Hebert 2.07
92 Lynn Dickey 4.95
93 Mark Rypien 1.94
94 Joe Flacco 1.92
95 Bill Nelsen 1.86
96 Ron Jaworski 1.73
97 James Harris 1.65
98 Elvis Grbac 1.65
99 Chris Chandler 1.51
100 Charley Johnson 1.50

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

OK, I'll bite since I seem to be the primary one saying Favre is the greatest of all time. Anything I say is prefaced by the fact it's kinda an educated gut feeling - I am too lazy to dig and get exact stats, etc.

I consider Tarkenton to be very high on the list of all time greats, along with Dan Marino. As for Otto Graham, he is at the outer limit of my memory - he was at the end of his career when I was first old enough to be conscious of football. My impression of Graham, though, is that his career didn't last all that long - he was a truly outstanding QB, but much like Namath, didn't pass the test of longevity. Staubach also was really excellent, but had a relatively short career.

Yeah, stats are important, but selectively - Career Totals trump percentages, ratings, even playoff performances.

Bart Starr deserves special recognition, but as much as I respect one of my childhood heroes, consideration of him is tempered slightly by the fact that he had more talent surrounding him than just about anybody ever, and the fact that in his time "playoffs" consisted of one game, then two when the Super Bowl era began.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

So Vinny Testeverdy is a great QB. Top 10 all time?

Drew Bledsoe, Warren Moon, Kerry Collins.

That is a list of players with top 10 or near top 10 total stats.

Heck John Hadl is 17th all time for TDs. He is the most average QB in the history of the NFL.

Dave Kreig is 12th.

Steve DeBerg is almost tied with Troy Aikman in passes completed and yards. Kerry Collins is above Joe Montana.

If you want to win games, do you want a player who was average for 20 years or a player who was the best ever for 15?

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
porky88
10 years ago

This is my ranking by how good they were compared to the NFL average for their careers.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Stats can be helpful in analyzing players, especially from previous eras where there’s a lack of film. However, you’re glorifying stats and particularly the QB rating, which in itself is flawed. Therefore, the formula you are using to reach your conclusions is using a flawed stat. The QB rating emphasizes completion percentage. The problem with that is going 3 for 3 for 8 yards gives you a better rating than 1 for 3 for 25 yards. This is why Chad Pennington ranks above Brett Favre, John Elway, and Warren Moon. Pennington didn’t have the arm to stretch the field. Defenses happily gave up the short to intermediate completions. They literally let him have that play. They didn’t care. There’s no skill in that whatsoever. It led to a pretty good QB rating, but his teammates had to pickup the slack. This is just one of a number of problems with the QB rating, which is central to your argument.

Your formula seems to be an attempt at an all-time list. You deserve credit for putting in that work. However, all-time lists are trivial and really have nothing to do with the evaluation of a player. No matter how you slice it, such a list is based upon subjective viewpoints.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Dexter, your list above is LAUGHABLE. This whole discussion is STUPID. YOU should be ashamed to call yourself a Packer fan.

BRETT FAVRE IS THE GREATEST QUARTERBACK/THE GREATEST PLAYER IN NFL HISTORY. HE WILL BE THAT UNTIL GOD-WILLING, AARON RODGERS SURPASSES HIM.

Everything else here is irrelevant bullshit. Case closed, end of discussion - something I almost never do, I hereby stop reading or discussing the topic.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
After going through 5 pages of opinions, I have come to the conclusion that once again Brett Favre has came out on top.

Brett is clearly the Top overrated and the Top underrated Packer of all time!!!
Depending on who you believe.

ONLY BRETT FAVRE COULD BE #1 IN BOTH CATEGORIES!!!!

Way to go Brett!!!!!!!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

After going through 5 pages of opinions, I have come to the conclusion that once again Brett Favre has came out on top.

Brett is clearly the Top overrated and the Top underrated Packer of all time!!!
Depending on who you believe.

ONLY BRETT FAVRE COULD BE #1 IN BOTH CATEGORIES!!!!

Way to go Brett!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Fitting as it may be as he does have the most Touchdowns AND most Interceptions ... would one expect anything less?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

Dexter, your list above is LAUGHABLE. This whole discussion is STUPID. YOU should be ashamed to call yourself a Packer fan.

BRETT FAVRE IS THE GREATEST QUARTERBACK/THE GREATEST PLAYER IN NFL HISTORY. HE WILL BE THAT UNTIL GOD-WILLING, AARON RODGERS SURPASSES HIM.

Everything else here is irrelevant bullshit. Case closed, end of discussion - something I almost never do, I hereby stop reading or discussing the topic.

Keep clicking those ruby slippers together.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
earthquake
10 years ago

I have to say this is a really childish response. "Don't agree with me? FU, I'll take my football and go home." What are you, 12 years old?

You've yet to provide an argument as to why Favre is the greatest ever, other than "Favre is the greatest ever, because he is!". Again, what has he done that would put him over someone like Joe Montana? Favre played in more games and missed less games due to injury, which is in itself very impressive, but thats it. Montana accomplished much more in his shorter career.

Its hugely disrespectful to discount the effort of others here who at least bothered to give some supporting evidence (even if you disagree with the outcome or method) when you're too lazy to do any research or even provide a compelling, rational argument.

You put others down for emotions clouding judgement (ie, due to the last few years of his career), however, its clear that you yourself can not come even close to separating your emotional attachment of Favre from reality.
blank
Bigbyfan
10 years ago
This had the potential to be a very entertaining thread, but then I saw the last 4 pages were completely taken over by the never ending "Favre argument."

Back to the original question, I'm only going to use players that I have had the pleasure to watch (a little over 20 years).

Overrated: Cullen Jenkins - he was a beast the last few years in Green Bay, when he was healthy. Emphasis on "when he was healthy." He really couldn't be counted on for an entire season. The only reason I put him as overrated is due to pretty much everyone, sometimes myself included, bitching about Ted Thompson not shelling out the cash to resign him and how different our team would have been with him. Giving a big money deal to a 30 year old defensive lineman is not a good business move. I'm also willing to bet he would not have accepted the same deal the Eagles gave him if the Packers offered it to him. That probably had more to do with joining the "Dream Team" and chasing another title.

Underrated: William Henderson - He isn't underrated by most Packer fans, but IMO, is underrated by most football fans. He had the ability to do it all. He could run for some short yardage, catch the ball, and both run and pass block. He was a leader in the locker room. His longevity was also a big plus. He never played less than 14 games in a single season.
blank
DakotaT
10 years ago

Pussy! Dex just cleaned your clock and you run like a little girl, excuse last word freak little girl. 😆
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.