earthquake
10 years ago

Again in this thread, there is a whole lot of IDIOCY being posted against Favre by some DISGRACES to be called Packer fans.

The guy may not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer. He may have shown some stupidity and/or disloyalty and/or whatever at the end of his career, but WHILE HE WAS A PACKER he had a career unparalleled in NFL history. We - including the shitheads trashing him if they are old enough, had fifteen wonderful years of winning football, thanks in large part to Brett Favre. That far outweighs whatever petty shit at the end, and his records for yardage and touchdowns along with the consecutive game streak say that NOBODY in NFL history ever had a better career.

I'll be the first to say Aaron Rodgers is a better player right now than Favre was at his best, and that Rodgers likely will surpass Favre as the greatest in history, but for these sick trolls and shitheads to deny the undeniable is just plain disgraceful.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Bart Starr
Joe Montana
Tom Brady

If you're an honest, objective fan, these three players were better quarterbacks than Brett Favre. You don't have to look far to figure out why; postseason success.

Favre isn't the greatest packer quarterback, or packer player, let along player ever in the league. Star was 9-1 in the playoffs, 2 superbowl wins, 3 straight championships and 5 total championships. Hutson dominated the league like no player has ever done or likely ever will again, he was Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice, but he was even better comparatively than Rice.

Montana won 4 Superbowls with an overall playoff record of 23-16.

Brady is 3-5 in Superbowls (I realize he hasn't been great recently in the playoffs, but getting to 5 in itself is HUGE) for a playoff record of 24-17.

The greatest QBs do not turn the ball over when the game is on the line, this is why Favre will never be considered the greatest. He did many great things, his longevity and durability was certainly the greatest of any player to ever play the game. But greatest QB? No, not even close. He may have been the most exciting, entertaining player to watch. Unfortunately that excitement lead to disappointment and heartache at the end of the season more often than not.
blank
OlHoss1884
10 years ago
On the subject of Favre, it's hard to compare eras. Unitas threw for 40K yards in an era before the 5 yard chuck rule, before QB protection rules, before tackles could start a step back, and when QB were expected to call the plays. While I would certainly list Favre in the top 10, I would not say he was the best. The most entertaining I admit, and his style fit a team that needed to take risks to win for much of his career. Most importantly it was nice ot to have to worry about the position for so long while my Bears fan friends were lamenting the Cade McNowns, Kordell Stewarts, Rick Mirers and Dave Kriegs of the world. Hell the most effective QB they've had in 30 years made a great kicking tee recovery boy for the Favre-led champs.

For overrated/underrated I define these as whether a guy was recognized for being as good s he was or believed to be great despite that he really wasn't. A prospect who comes with hype but doesn't pan out doesn't make that list, nor does someone who comes from nowhere to succeed, as they get "rated" once they are noticed/recognized.

Underrated I have to agree on Lynn Dickey. Never got his due because of all the 41-38 losses the team seemed to have during his time, but to go back even farther I might say Leroy Caffey, who was a terrific LB but overshadowed by his two HOF linemates in Nitschke and Robinson.

overrated I might say Hornung. As good as he was he had a lot of HOFers like Starr, Taylor, Ringo, Gregg, and Kramer making him look good. Surrounded by that cast I would have expected his numbers to be a lot more eye-popping than they are, not that I don't think he's a clear HOFer in any case.

One of the things about having a team in a market the size of GB is that you almost never see overrated players. Bigger markets tend to get a lot more hype for their stars, so guys like Phil Simms, Mark Gastineau, Brian Urlacher, Eric Dickerson and Michael Irvin go from being great players to being legends. Players in smaller, less prominent markets tend to go under the radar a lot more often like Sean Alexander, Ronde Barber, Sam Mills, John Randle or Bert Jones. I bet most of us could a lot more easily come up with a list of 10 underrated Packers than overrated ones.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
nerdmann
10 years ago

On the subject of Favre, it's hard to compare eras. Unitas threw for 40K yards in an era before the 5 yard chuck rule, before QB protection rules, before tackles could start a step back, and when QB were expected to call the plays. While I would certainly list Favre in the top 10, I would not say he was the best. The most entertaining I admit, and his style fit a team that needed to take risks to win for much of his career. Most importantly it was nice ot to have to worry about the position for so long while my Bears fan friends were lamenting the Cade McNowns, Kordell Stewarts, Rick Mirers and Dave Kriegs of the world. Hell the most effective QB they've had in 30 years made a great kicking tee recovery boy for the Favre-led champs.

For overrated/underrated I define these as whether a guy was recognized for being as good s he was or believed to be great despite that he really wasn't. A prospect who comes with hype but doesn't pan out doesn't make that list, nor does someone who comes from nowhere to succeed, as they get "rated" once they are noticed/recognized.

Underrated I have to agree on Lynn Dickey. Never got his due because of all the 41-38 losses the team seemed to have during his time, but to go back even farther I might say Leroy Caffey, who was a terrific LB but overshadowed by his two HOF linemates in Nitschke and Robinson.

overrated I might say Hornung. As good as he was he had a lot of HOFers like Starr, Taylor, Ringo, Gregg, and Kramer making him look good. Surrounded by that cast I would have expected his numbers to be a lot more eye-popping than they are, not that I don't think he's a clear HOFer in any case.

One of the things about having a team in a market the size of GB is that you almost never see overrated players. Bigger markets tend to get a lot more hype for their stars, so guys like Phil Simms, Mark Gastineau, Brian Urlacher, Eric Dickerson and Michael Irvin go from being great players to being legends. Players in smaller, less prominent markets tend to go under the radar a lot more often like Sean Alexander, Ronde Barber, Sam Mills, John Randle or Bert Jones. I bet most of us could a lot more easily come up with a list of 10 underrated Packers than overrated ones.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

As for Dickey, they had a GREAT offense. Problem there was, the defense couldn't stop anybody. So yeah, he's gonna be underrated.

As for Paul Hornung, Vince Lombardi himself said, "When the game is on the line, Paul Hornung is the greatest player I've ever seen." That's good enough for me.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
10 years ago

Bart Starr
Joe Montana
Tom Brady

If you're an honest, objective fan, these three players were better quarterbacks than Brett Favre. You don't have to look far to figure out why; postseason success.

Favre isn't the greatest packer quarterback, or packer player, let along player ever in the league. Star was 9-1 in the playoffs, 2 superbowl wins, 3 straight championships and 5 total championships. Hutson dominated the league like no player has ever done or likely ever will again, he was Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice, but he was even better comparatively than Rice.

Montana won 4 Superbowls with an overall playoff record of 23-16.

Brady is 3-5 in Superbowls (I realize he hasn't been great recently in the playoffs, but getting to 5 in itself is HUGE) for a playoff record of 24-17.

The greatest QBs do not turn the ball over when the game is on the line, this is why Favre will never be considered the greatest. He did many great things, his longevity and durability was certainly the greatest of any player to ever play the game. But greatest QB? No, not even close. He may have been the most exciting, entertaining player to watch. Unfortunately that excitement lead to disappointment and heartache at the end of the season more often than not.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I don't think most consider Favre the greatest quarterback in history. I don't see that too much. Brady certainly surpassed him, and I don’t think any football historian ever placed him above Joe Montana. I think people have forgotten how good he was, actually. It's a shame because his best was better than most. There was a span (94-98) when he played the position unbelievably well. You never hear about those years in regards to Favre anymore.

It’s also become a common theme to blame him for every playoff defeat in his era. I’ve watched these games multiple times and that’s simply a false analysis. Yes, bash away at the ‘07 and ‘09 championship games, as those were awful throws, but there were other things go on in most of his playoff losses.

Favre fans are quick to defend him. I know first hand. I criticized quite a bit in ‘06 and took some heat on the old site from some people that would go on to hate the man in ‘09. Still, as quick as Favre fans are emotional in defending him, his critics are also emotional in their critique. Labeling him the most overrated Packer in history, as the NFL Network segment did, is among those examples.

OlHoss1884
10 years ago
I will add this to why Favre was not overrated: because for 15 years or so his being in the huddle meant almost no game was out of reach. He had an amazing ability to make some crazy plays (like that cross field TD pass in Detroit in that playoff game), an impact few individual players can have. Did he lose a lot of games with his antics? Of course he did, but he more than made up for it with the number of victories he pulled out of his a$$ over the years as well.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I will add this to why Favre was not overrated: because for 15 years or so his being in the huddle meant almost no game was out of reach.

And that's how the opponents felt too. I recall several times where opponents would say that they "have to keep their hands on the ball because Brett tosses a few INT's a game". Meaning that Brett would throw it into their hands, but if they weren't alert, they'd miss the opportunity.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

I will add this to why Favre was not overrated: because for 15 years or so his being in the huddle meant almost no game was out of reach. He had an amazing ability to make some crazy plays (like that cross field TD pass in Detroit in that playoff game), an impact few individual players can have. Did he lose a lot of games with his antics? Of course he did, but he more than made up for it with the number of victories he pulled out of his a$$ over the years as well.

This is a complete myth.

Favre's success rating in comeback opportunities was well below average.

Average would be between 40 and 50%. Favre was actually in the low 30s.

He more than made up for his comebacks with his record number of chokes.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

It's hard to knock Favre for interceptions and then praise Arnie Herber, who threw 106 interceptions and only 81 touchdowns. He also attempted 1,175 career passes. Favre attempted 10,169 passes. Based on the pattern, Herber would have over 900 interceptions by his 10,169th pass attempt. That's nearly 600 more than Favre's 336.

Comparing the eras (and players) is impossible considering the game was far less complex. Some high school sophomores probably can run a faster 40 than many of the players during that era. Rob Gronkowski also would probably play nose tackle and guard. There are a few exceptions (namely Don Hutson), but that’s why they’re exceptions and not the rule.

Another obstacle is the lack of weight training by the players, and the fact many probably were smokers. Regardless, the biggest omission people make in comparing distant eras to today's age is race relations. Herber won championships in the 30s. Jackie Robinson hadn't even broken through the barrier yet. To recap, the players didn’t train, they weren’t as healthy, and prejudices prevented the league from fielding the best players.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Did you miss the part when I said "for his day he was farther above average than Favre was for his"?

Comparing players from different eras is impossible. So I wouldn't do it.

No helmets, no rules against hitting WRs because the were not WRs, they were offensive ends. They had all the protection of a blocker.

QBs had no protection either. Brady would leave the game in a body bag his first snap.

The players of that era had the same handicaps as the ones they were playing against.

You can't even accurately compare Players from the '60 to today. Even Marino played in an era when the average passer rating was 12.5 points lower than it was for Favre. Comparing them head to head gives Favre a huge advantage for when he played.

To sum up, I am saying that Herber was farther above the standard for his day than Favre was for the '1992-2101 seasons. Relative to when he played, Herber was better.

Otherwise, if you compare Favre head to head with any great QB that played in the past, Staubach, Unitas, Montana, Graham, Luckman, Baugh etc, he looks like he was better. But all those other QBs were so much farther above the standard than Favre, he just doesn't compare. Because the rules protected Favre and his WRs, the medical care kept him playing, the equipment protected him, the game itself is different.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

Do you think he laid down for Strahan to get the sack record?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Sandbagged '05, sandbagged '06 and tanked the '07 NFCCG.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

I don't think most consider Favre the greatest quarterback in history. I don't see that too much. Brady certainly surpassed him, and I don’t think any football historian ever placed him above Joe Montana. I think people have forgotten how good he was, actually. It's a shame because his best was better than most. There was a span (94-98) when he played the position unbelievably well. You never hear about those years in regards to Favre anymore.

It’s also become a common theme to blame him for every playoff defeat in his era. I’ve watched these games multiple times and that’s simply a false analysis. Yes, bash away at the ‘07 and ‘09 championship games, as those were awful throws, but there were other things go on in most of his playoff losses.

Favre fans are quick to defend him. I know first hand. I criticized quite a bit in ‘06 and took some heat on the old site from some people that would go on to hate the man in ‘09. Still, as quick as Favre fans are emotional in defending him, his critics are also emotional in their critique. Labeling him the most overrated Packer in history, as the NFL Network segment did, is among those examples.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

To paraphrase the greatest coach in history, Teams win and QBs play.

I wouldn't blame Favre for any of his losses, but I would hold him accountable for his play.

9 of 10 playoff runs were ended by Favre playing poorly, throwing last second picks or failing to step up and even get a first down with time on the clock, 4 downs and within 1 score.

The only super bowl we won was when the D and ST made sure Favre wasn't needed in the 4th quarter. All he had to do was not choke.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (33m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (47m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.