MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

The annual game of should-I-or-shouldn't-I retire played by Brett Favre from 2002 through 2011 has yielded a broader question for Packers fans everywhere. Should he, or shouldn't he, be on the team's Mt. Rushmore? On Wednesday's edition of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, yours truly and the extremely wise (after all, he went to an...

The official PFT Mt. Rushmore consisted of Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, Don Hutson (Google him), and Bart Starr.
Voters went with Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Reggie White and Brett Favre.

ProFootballTalk  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Sheeeesh! First of all, there is no Packer Mt. Rushmore. You'd have to go out of state to even find a legitimate mountain. Limiting it to 4 is just wrong. Also, there should be a separate mountain or ring or whatever for coaches/GMs/Administrators than for players.

I'm said it about a dozen times now, people should get over the anti-Favre crap. Comparison ain't a bad thing if it is done in a positive constructive way.

The simple answer to the question is YES, he should be there. Just as Ben Franklin, Thomas Paine, Douglas MacArthur, and Rush Limbaugh should have a separate but equal mountain to the presidents, Lambeau, Lombardi, Holmgren, and McCarthy should have their's separate. Oooh, did I forget TT?

The four PLAYERS who make the mountain if we really must limit it to four: Hutson, Hornung, Starr, and Favre. But Blood, Nitschke, Taylor, J. Kramer, Gregg, and W. Davis deserve to be there too, and Rote, Jordan, McGee, Dowler, Brockington, Lofton, and Sharpe aren't far from it. And that doesn't even address the issue of Aaron Rodgers probably outshining ALL of them before he is through, and probably Matthews making the "deserve" list also.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
No. Not even close.

Long answer: If Favre came along in 1970, people would have considered him a failure. They had come to expect the QB to actually step up in the post season. Not throw picks. It is only because of the failures of the '70s and '80s and too many people not remembering or understanding the real greatness of the Packers in the '60s that people have such high regard for Favre.

Starr was the best post season QB in the history of the NFL. Not just in wins. Because teams win and QBs play.

Hutson, Canadeo, Nitschke, Starr.

I can probably list another 15 or more that I would put up there before Favre. Including Arnie Herber.

I think we should also include Coaches. The two winningest coaches in NFL history deserve to be up there. Curley with 6 championships and Lambeau with 5.

Leaving Lombardi, Hutson, Lambeau and Starr as the 4.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, Don Hutson, and Bart Starr is what I went with, coincidentally, PFT agreed, but the voters actually put Reggie White up there? Basically, that says majority of the voters couldn't think past 15 years nor consider the tradition that made Green Bay Packers what it is. I can understand Brett Favre being on there, although I think Don Hutson was more important to the Packers than Favre and did more too.
UserPostedImage
musccy
10 years ago

Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, Don Hutson, and Bart Starr is what I went with, coincidentally, PFT agreed, but the voters actually put Reggie White up there? Basically, that says majority of the voters couldn't think past 15 years nor consider the tradition that made Green Bay Packers what it is. I can understand Brett Favre being on there, although I think Don Hutson was more important to the Packers than Favre and did more too.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

exactly. reggie was great for the pack, but his iconic status, and arguably his best playing days were with another team. Fortunately pft made up for all the 24 year olds voting.
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
One thing I, and probably everyone commenting, did not take into account is that Mt. Rushmore is not a tribute to those four Presidents. The sculptor chose those four Presidents to represent four aspects he felt made America great. Washington represents our founding fathers and the great foundation this country has. Jefferson represents our great economy as he was a great economist. Lincoln represents our great leadership as he proved a great leader in one of our most difficult periods. Roosevelt represents conservation and our countries efforts to wisely use and conserve our wealth our resources.

With those thoughts in mind I would go with:

Curly Lambeau- Bob Harlan - Vince Lombardi - Ted Thompson
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

One thing I, and probably everyone commenting, did not take into account is that Mt. Rushmore is not a tribute to those four Presidents. The sculptor chose those four Presidents to represent four aspects he felt made America great. Washington represents our founding fathers and the great foundation this country has. Jefferson represents our great economy as he was a great economist. Lincoln represents our great leadership as he proved a great leader in one of our most difficult periods. Roosevelt represents conservation and our countries efforts to wisely use and conserve our wealth our resources.

With those thoughts in mind I would go with:

Curly Lambeau- Bob Harlan - Vince Lombardi - Ted Thompson

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

Don Hutson is the original WR. He came up with the routes they still run today. He is the reason they scrapped the Notre Dame Box formation and gave the NFL the modern passing game.

He was the Babe Ruth of football and was as good as the next 3 best WRs of his time Combined. It took the NFL 50 years to catch up with him.

Bart Starr was the most productive post season QB in NFL history. Starr has the highest post season rating in the history of the NFL. Even though the average QB puts up passer rating 20 higher than in Starr's day.

Hutson defined the position that defines the NFL.

Starr put the Title in title town.

They are the players that defined football in Green Bay and the NFL.

Football is pretty boring without players.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (4h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (15h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (15h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (21h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.