MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

The annual game of should-I-or-shouldn't-I retire played by Brett Favre from 2002 through 2011 has yielded a broader question for Packers fans everywhere. Should he, or shouldn't he, be on the team's Mt. Rushmore? On Wednesday's edition of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, yours truly and the extremely wise (after all, he went to an...

The official PFT Mt. Rushmore consisted of Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, Don Hutson (Google him), and Bart Starr.
Voters went with Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Reggie White and Brett Favre.

ProFootballTalk  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Sheeeesh! First of all, there is no Packer Mt. Rushmore. You'd have to go out of state to even find a legitimate mountain. Limiting it to 4 is just wrong. Also, there should be a separate mountain or ring or whatever for coaches/GMs/Administrators than for players.

I'm said it about a dozen times now, people should get over the anti-Favre crap. Comparison ain't a bad thing if it is done in a positive constructive way.

The simple answer to the question is YES, he should be there. Just as Ben Franklin, Thomas Paine, Douglas MacArthur, and Rush Limbaugh should have a separate but equal mountain to the presidents, Lambeau, Lombardi, Holmgren, and McCarthy should have their's separate. Oooh, did I forget TT?

The four PLAYERS who make the mountain if we really must limit it to four: Hutson, Hornung, Starr, and Favre. But Blood, Nitschke, Taylor, J. Kramer, Gregg, and W. Davis deserve to be there too, and Rote, Jordan, McGee, Dowler, Brockington, Lofton, and Sharpe aren't far from it. And that doesn't even address the issue of Aaron Rodgers probably outshining ALL of them before he is through, and probably Matthews making the "deserve" list also.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
No. Not even close.

Long answer: If Favre came along in 1970, people would have considered him a failure. They had come to expect the QB to actually step up in the post season. Not throw picks. It is only because of the failures of the '70s and '80s and too many people not remembering or understanding the real greatness of the Packers in the '60s that people have such high regard for Favre.

Starr was the best post season QB in the history of the NFL. Not just in wins. Because teams win and QBs play.

Hutson, Canadeo, Nitschke, Starr.

I can probably list another 15 or more that I would put up there before Favre. Including Arnie Herber.

I think we should also include Coaches. The two winningest coaches in NFL history deserve to be up there. Curley with 6 championships and Lambeau with 5.

Leaving Lombardi, Hutson, Lambeau and Starr as the 4.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, Don Hutson, and Bart Starr is what I went with, coincidentally, PFT agreed, but the voters actually put Reggie White up there? Basically, that says majority of the voters couldn't think past 15 years nor consider the tradition that made Green Bay Packers what it is. I can understand Brett Favre being on there, although I think Don Hutson was more important to the Packers than Favre and did more too.
UserPostedImage
musccy
10 years ago

Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, Don Hutson, and Bart Starr is what I went with, coincidentally, PFT agreed, but the voters actually put Reggie White up there? Basically, that says majority of the voters couldn't think past 15 years nor consider the tradition that made Green Bay Packers what it is. I can understand Brett Favre being on there, although I think Don Hutson was more important to the Packers than Favre and did more too.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

exactly. reggie was great for the pack, but his iconic status, and arguably his best playing days were with another team. Fortunately pft made up for all the 24 year olds voting.
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
One thing I, and probably everyone commenting, did not take into account is that Mt. Rushmore is not a tribute to those four Presidents. The sculptor chose those four Presidents to represent four aspects he felt made America great. Washington represents our founding fathers and the great foundation this country has. Jefferson represents our great economy as he was a great economist. Lincoln represents our great leadership as he proved a great leader in one of our most difficult periods. Roosevelt represents conservation and our countries efforts to wisely use and conserve our wealth our resources.

With those thoughts in mind I would go with:

Curly Lambeau- Bob Harlan - Vince Lombardi - Ted Thompson
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

One thing I, and probably everyone commenting, did not take into account is that Mt. Rushmore is not a tribute to those four Presidents. The sculptor chose those four Presidents to represent four aspects he felt made America great. Washington represents our founding fathers and the great foundation this country has. Jefferson represents our great economy as he was a great economist. Lincoln represents our great leadership as he proved a great leader in one of our most difficult periods. Roosevelt represents conservation and our countries efforts to wisely use and conserve our wealth our resources.

With those thoughts in mind I would go with:

Curly Lambeau- Bob Harlan - Vince Lombardi - Ted Thompson

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

Don Hutson is the original WR. He came up with the routes they still run today. He is the reason they scrapped the Notre Dame Box formation and gave the NFL the modern passing game.

He was the Babe Ruth of football and was as good as the next 3 best WRs of his time Combined. It took the NFL 50 years to catch up with him.

Bart Starr was the most productive post season QB in NFL history. Starr has the highest post season rating in the history of the NFL. Even though the average QB puts up passer rating 20 higher than in Starr's day.

Hutson defined the position that defines the NFL.

Starr put the Title in title town.

They are the players that defined football in Green Bay and the NFL.

Football is pretty boring without players.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.