MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Chris Brown, author of 'The Essential Smart Football' and a contributor at ESPN's Grantland, wrote “it's understandable that most fans (and even many coaches) think of football plays in terms of the strict run-pass dichotomy.” To that point, teams usually only do one or the other well. One-dimensional franchises with predictable offenses aren't consistently [...]

LombardiAve  wrote:

nerdmann
10 years ago
For better or worse, this team is based on throwing deep, and doing so often. Having a running game will force defenses to 'respect the run," but that is really it's only function. Draw safeties up for run support, so Aaron can continue throwing deep.

This imho is a low percentage offensive philosophy, lacking in fundamentals. But it just might work, because of the players we have assembled. Freakiest show on Tundra.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
10 years ago
Good article.
Mike McCarthy should read it.
steveishere
10 years ago

For better or worse, this team is based on throwing deep, and doing so often. Having a running game will force defenses to 'respect the run," but that is really it's only function. Draw safeties up for run support, so Aaron can continue throwing deep.

This imho is a low percentage offensive philosophy, lacking in fundamentals. But it just might work, because of the players we have assembled. Freakiest show on Tundra.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Not really it's primarily short passes to set up deep passing. They probably do less intermediate (11-20 yard) passes than the average but more in the short (behind LOS - 10 yard) and slightly more deep (20+) than average. If it was a "low percentage" offensive philosophy they wouldn't be one of the most efficient passing offenses in the league year after year but they are so you aren't making any sense.
nerdmann
10 years ago
Tell you one thing. If Arodge went down for a game or two, I'd feel WAY better with these RBs in the lineup with Graham Harrell.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I agree completely with your first paragraph analysis, but I disagree with your humble opinion in the second. I LIKE it like that. Some play action, a few screens, and of course short yardage, and at least the THREAT of grinding it out, but I'd hate to see the Packers go back to the team I saw for literally decades almost religiously run on first down about 95% of the time.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago

I agree completely with your first paragraph analysis, but I disagree with your humble opinion in the second. I LIKE it like that. Some play action, a few screens, and of course short yardage, and at least the THREAT of grinding it out, but I'd hate to see the Packers go back to the team I saw for literally decades almost religiously run on first down about 95% of the time.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

The times have changed, along with the level of talent at RB.

I say, " bring it!" We are literally going to run on this NFL, one where defenses have been building in recent years to stop pass heavy attacks.

This is a perfect storm Ted and Mike are building in GB. Personally, I am very much looking forward to run plays on every down for an entire scoring drive. It will happen, and I can't wait to witness that first all run drive.

It would be foolish to not run based upon recollections of inferior play, scheme and personnel of long past history.

Our offense, on paper, is finally balanced. McCarthy still must make the most of that. How he uses this and how he prepares his staff and team will be crucial.

I'd say the real "balance" that will win us another championship is the balance of O and D improvements. The run heavy additions with the RBs and OL, along with what appear to be sound adds at WR and TE, along with the new faces on D, and important players returning from injury was JUST what the doctor ordered - on the personnel side.

Lets see what Mike does with this.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Here are the stats from 2008-2012 +2003 & 1996

YEAR.....RUSH ATTMPTS.........AVG.........PASS COMPLETIONS..........AVG.

2012.............433..................3.9YDS..............374...........................7.8YDS
2011.............395..................3.9YDS..............376...........................9.3YDS
2010.............421..................3.8YDS..............352.........................13.8YDS
2009.............438..................4.3YDS..............357...........................8.1YDS
2008.............437..................4.1YDS..............343...........................7.5YDS

2003.............507..................5.0YDS..............310...........................7.1YDS
1996.............465..................4.0YDS..............328...........................7.2YDS

I added 2003 because that was the year The Packers dominated with the run game.
1996 was of course the other Superbowl year.

The "throwing deep" theory kind of goes up in smoke the last 2 year, funny Aaron's best(yds/per completion) year was 2010.

Hopefully with healthy RB's this year and a healthy O-line, yds per carry will jump(4.5 - 5.0) would seem to be a good goal.
As far as throwing the ball, I don't really think there will be much of a difference, pay a guy 20+ mil a year, I think you would want him to utilize his talents.

EDIT: Regular season only
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
10 years ago

Here are the stats from 2008-2012 +2003 & 1996

YEAR.....RUSH ATTMPTS.........AVG.........PASS COMPLETIONS..........AVG.

2012.............433..................3.9YDS..............374...........................7.8YDS
2011.............395..................3.9YDS..............376...........................9.3YDS
2010.............421..................3.8YDS..............352.........................13.8YDS
2009.............438..................4.3YDS..............357...........................8.1YDS
2008.............437..................4.1YDS..............343...........................7.5YDS

2003.............507..................5.0YDS..............310...........................7.1YDS
1996.............465..................4.0YDS..............328...........................7.2YDS

I added 2003 because that was the year The Packers dominated with the run game.
1996 was of course the other Superbowl year.

The "throwing deep" theory kind of goes up in smoke the last 2 year, funny Aaron's best(yds/per completion) year was 2010.

Hopefully with healthy RB's this year and a healthy O-line, yds per carry will jump(4.5 - 5.0) would seem to be a good goal.
As far as throwing the ball, I don't really think there will be much of a difference, pay a guy 20+ mil a year, I think you would want him to utilize his talents.

EDIT: Regular season only

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That's great to see buckeypackfan.

I think both per play averages go up this season. Cobb should have a big breakout year.
Pack93z
10 years ago
If you search  Pack93z and balance on the forum... 38 pages.

Yes.. I agree with the thought.. it is a core belief of mine on the game of football.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (now) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (1m) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (2m) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (11h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (11h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.