MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

“A couple of days before the draft, I heard the Cowboys were a threat to take (Kyle) Long in the first round, perhaps if they moved down from the 18th pick. I later heard from league sources outside of Halas Hall that the Colts (24th pick) and Rams (22nd pick) were very interested in drafting him. [...]

JerseyAl  wrote:

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
1. I seriously doubt Uncle teddy would have taken Long in the first round.
2. who cares who else GB wanted to take. Under the right conditions GB "wanted" to take several hundred players who were on their board.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Personally, I thought the Bears really reached to get Kyle Long. He probably would have been there in R2...

Am I wrong? I think he only had 4 career starts at OG. Played only 1 year at Oregon, and injured his ankle. He was the 5th rated OG in the draft class, something like the 67th best overall player. And the Bears take him round 1! Bunch of stupid fuckers.

Awesome!
Rockmolder
10 years ago
Of course those sounds are coming out of Halas Hall. Sounds like a pretty legitimate source as to who the Rams would pick.
beast
10 years ago

I think it all depends on weather teams thought Kyle Long could grow into a starting OT spot or not. Looking at only his upside, I think you could say yes... and that where teams might of wanted him in the late first round.

As just an OG for the long term, I'm not sure if people wanted him that high. Pre-draft it sounded like a number of people thought he'd have to switch to OG if he wanted to start early in his career but if he kept growing he could become a good starting OT.

I don't know why the Bears grabbed him, but I assumed it was to start at OG early on and maybe move to OT when they need him there / when/if he keeps growing and become a good fit for OT.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
10 years ago
If I was going to make a guess along these lines I would say it was in the 3rd when the Center from Cal, Shwenke, or however it's spelled, went off right before we picked and Ted traded back to the 4th.
I thought he would be an upgrade in the middle and possibly a game 1 starter that would anchor for many years.

I don't see Ted taking a gamble in the 1st on Long at all and glad he didn't. The guy is a 50/50 shot. Happy the Bears reached and not us. Even if he does turn out why take that kind of risk so early?

I could see it possible considering Long may be able to step in at Guard early IF the Packers had no Guards at all and while Lang may not be a beast we certainly aren't in a stick-your-neck-out there place either.

Then you figure we got Jones and God knows we needed better players there more so than a guy that may be better than Lang. There's been hundreds of guys drafted with the hope they could eventually move outside that never saw the light of day at Tackle.
"The train is leaving the station."
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
If I were the Bears, I would of took Zack Eifert from Notre Dame. Once again the Bears offense won't have any weapons except Marshall.

Now I thought Long was a 2nd to 3rd round pick. There was better players on the board for us even if he was there.. I'm not complaining with our pick!
Yerko
10 years ago
I'm trying to figure out where a Chicago sports writer got any kind of information on what the Packers wanted to do in the 1st round when our very own can't even get that kind of information...

I think Long is going to be a great offensive lineman but I don't agree with where he was picked and I don't agree with what the Bears are planning to do with him. He has only played 4-5 games as a guard and that's where the Bears plan on playing him. He has the tools to be a starting OT and playing him at guard is going to ruin that, imo.

The Bears also ruined Gabe Carimi.
UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

If I were the Bears, I would of took Zack Eifert from Notre Dame. Once again the Bears offense won't have any weapons except Marshall.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

When healthy RB Matt Forte' has been pretty good even with some questionable talent around him.

And IMO the Bears main problem has been their OL. Which they picked up two OL in the draft, OL Kyle Long and OL Jordan Mills (aka Tramon Williams cousin). To my eyes, I thought Mills looked like he had some potential to maybe play RT in the NFL.

Also they picked up a talented/complete TE from the Giants. He's a very good run blocker and get be a good receiver as well.

Plus 2nd round pick WR Alshon Jeffery should get better now that he's not a rookie no more.
UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

I'm trying to figure out where a Chicago sports writer got any kind of information on what the Packers wanted to do in the 1st round when our very own can't even get that kind of information...

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's just people projecting from the outside...

There have been rumors the Packers wanted to draft a LT to protect Rodgers in this year draft... though I wasn't buying that theory then and I'm still not buying it.... and people think Long might grow into a very good LT.

1 + 1 = so Packers must being trying to upgrade LT type of thing... though I don't think it was correct, I think they were just guessing.

I don't think the Packers were about to invest another 1st round pick in an OT unless they knew he could be the starter very soon and/or he was clearly the best player on their board...

And I've said all pre-draft... with the depth this draft had at DL early on... I think DL would be the BPA late 1st on into the 2nd.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (2h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (19h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.