texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
John Brockington and MacCarther Lane - I remembered Taylor and Hornung, and Grabowski and Anderson, but forgot them. I can't remember, was it still Split Backs with Brockington and Lane? Or had the I come in by then? I really wish Lacy and Franklin - backed by Harris - could be used in a Split Backfield - without a fullback. That would be better in so many ways, running and passing.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

John Brockington and MacCarther Lane - I remembered Taylor and Hornung, and Grabowski and Anderson, but forgot them. I can't remember, was it still Split Backs with Brockington and Lane? Or had the I come in by then? I really wish Lacy and Franklin - backed by Harris - could be used in a Split Backfield - without a fullback. That would be better in so many ways, running and passing.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

This is a good read on how Lane came to be a Packer

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/lane-was-half-of-tough-backfield-3a5fj8e-153333955.html 
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
SINCITYCHEEZE
10 years ago

Can we as fans at least wait until pre-season games start before we anoint these guys as the next coming of John Brockington and MacCarther Lane.(look them up you younger fans, last great DUO to play in the same backfield together in Green Bay.)

So many things can happen, but it sure looks like The Packers have went all in to jump start their running game.

Pre-season 2013, IMHO, is actually going to be worth watching.

So many young guys trying to make the team, lots of competition.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I think Edgar Bennet(sp.) and Dorsey Levens might disagree with you on that statement.

Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I think Edgar Bennet(sp.) and Dorsey Levens might disagree with you on that statement.

Originally Posted by: SINCITYCHEEZE 

Trying to remember, how many years we're they together in the backfield?

They were pretty good, but didn't Edger tear up his knee in pre-season and Levens replaced him for good in his 2nd year?

I don't really think of them as a tandem, JMO, Bennet was a hell of a back and Levens followed him.

I did forget about Ahman Green and William Henderson, they were also a pretty good tandem!!!

😄
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DakotaT
10 years ago

You don't have to be a SMART ASS!!!!!

Did I say anything about not talking about them?

No.

This happens every year.

The Packers draft guys and immediately the expectations are so high that most of the time, no matter how well they play, the fans that put these expectations on them are disappointed.

DRAFT AND DEVELOPE!!!!!!

Look it up.

RB is one position that rookies seem to be able to step in right away and contribute.

Hopefully The Packer have drafted 2 guys that can do this.

They get their 1st chance to impress starting tomorrow.

The real test will come in pre-season.

The competition is going to be at a high level at several positions this pre-season, this only bodes well for The Packers as a team.

You have a real problem having someone bust your balls don't you Buckeye, it's almost womanish? [grin1] Anyway, I happen to agree with you. Lots of people putting the cart before the horse.
UserPostedImage
OlHoss1884
10 years ago

Aaron and Mike don't want to burn clock. They want to score as many times as possible.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

So does everyone. But when you have a lead and need to keep the other team off the field, you need to chew up the clock. It also keeps your defense fresh. That's basic football. And I guarantee if you asked "Aaron and Mike" whether they wanted to be able to chew up some clock they would tell you absolutely, as long as they wind up in the end zone. With Lacy and Jenkins you can do both.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
nerdmann
10 years ago

So does everyone. But when you have a lead and need to keep the other team off the field, you need to chew up the clock. It also keeps your defense fresh. That's basic football. And I guarantee if you asked "Aaron and Mike" whether they wanted to be able to chew up some clock they would tell you absolutely, as long as they wind up in the end zone. With Lacy and Jenkins you can do both.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

They repeatedly hang this defense out to dry.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

You don't have to be a SMART ASS!!!!!

Did I say anything about not talking about them?

No.

This happens every year.

The Packers draft guys and immediately the expectations are so high that most of the time, no matter how well they play, the fans that put these expectations on them are disappointed.

DRAFT AND DEVELOPE!!!!!!

Look it up.

RB is one position that rookies seem to be able to step in right away and contribute.

Hopefully The Packer have drafted 2 guys that can do this.

They get their 1st chance to impress starting tomorrow.

The real test will come in pre-season.

The competition is going to be at a high level at several positions this pre-season, this only bodes well for The Packers as a team.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but you said it yourself, it happens every year. There is nothing we can do to stop it so why get worked up over it. It's like people complaining about talking about a big game next week when we still have to play the Jaguars this week. We are fans, there is nothing wrong with looking ahead. There is nothing wrong with speculating about a player having the potential to be a ROY or MVP or anything else. It's the off season and there is precious little to talk about. I think there are very few fans who actually put a lot of stock into talk like this. We all know it's speculation. We all know that the rookies haven't taken a snap in the game. I don't think anyone is anointing anyone as anything. We are simply excited to have a player that we feel can be in the conversation.

Like you said, there will be some high level competition at several positions this year, running back probably being the highest profile. It should be exciting. In the recent past we have had pretty much afterthoughts at the position. Guys who gave us a ton of hope and even potential but not much real expectation. This year we have not one but two running backs that many people, myself included, feel can be a significant contributor from day one and have the ability to make our offense much better. Not just some guy who we look at as someone who "helps to keep the defense honest" so Rodgers can throw deep almost every play. If that is not enough of a reason to get people talking I don't know what else there is to talk about.

I do not have a problem with fans talking about potential awards.
I do not have a problem with fans predicting W/L records.
I do not have a problem with fans looking past weaker teams.
I do not have a problem with fans saying WE when talking about the team.

Let the coaches and administrators and players worry about the day to day preparations. We are fans and as such we have the right to talk about whatever we want, even if it is unrealistic speculation.
play2win
10 years ago

Can we as fans at least wait until pre-season games start before we anoint these guys as the next coming of John Brockington and MacCarther Lane.(look them up you younger fans, last great DUO to play in the same backfield together in Green Bay.)

So many things can happen, but it sure looks like The Packers have went all in to jump start their running game.

Pre-season 2013, IMHO, is actually going to be worth watching.

So many young guys trying to make the team, lots of competition.

No. Edgar and Dorsey. Now, THAT was a great duo! And, the last successful duo in GB, in the same backfield at RB. Took us to the promised land... Dorsey played FB for Edgar... wore a many teams out with Holmy going to them repeatedly to finish off games in the 2nd half.

Ahman and Henderson? Pretty close. I wonder what Ahman would say? He stopped in to my studio a couple of weeks ago... Great guy. He'll be coming back. I'll ask him how he rates himself and William Henderson.
steveishere
10 years ago

They repeatedly hang this defense out to dry.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

not really
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (7h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (13h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.