wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I agree with wpr on this.

However, it doesn't mean Sherrod will never be back. Didn't Flanagan need a couple years away? But I think it DEFINITELY means he's not where they want him to be. Good thing we have Bulaga. He's played LT before.

As for RT, I think Newhouse is the logical choice. He struggled at times at LT, but I think he'll be fine on the RT. You're not going up against the defense's best pass rusher on the RT. He'll have to beat out Barclay, Datko and the rookies though.

If Lang can play C, so much the better. I know the Packers love versatility on the line. I think there's gonna be competition there though. Which will be good.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I guess I don't mean he will never play. I am writing him off for this year too. If he does come back (Next year) I do not see them moving him back to LT as long as Bulaga has a good year.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Until proven otherwise, the word of McCarthy and the actions of Thompson in not drafting an O Lineman in the first three rounds supports the idea that Sherrod will be healthy. It's still not a bad idea, however, to put him at the less pressure-packed RT spot. Same for the possibility the RT starter is Newhouse or the even less likely prospect it is Barclay, Datko, or one of the rookies.

The reason for switching Sitton also is that it is smart to put your two best run blockers side by side. Also, our left side/a defense's right side is where you most often find the top flight pass rushers. Often it is a good idea to run the ball straight at that kind of guy.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Until proven otherwise, the word of McCarthy and the actions of Thompson in not drafting an O Lineman in the first three rounds supports the idea that Sherrod will be healthy. It's still not a bad idea, however, to put him at the less pressure-packed RT spot. Same for the possibility the RT starter is Newhouse or the even less likely prospect it is Barclay, Datko, or one of the rookies.

The reason for switching Sitton also is that it is smart to put your two best run blockers side by side. Also, our left side/a defense's right side is where you most often find the top flight pass rushers. Often it is a good idea to run the ball straight at that kind of guy.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

McCarthy's word has been proven otherwise many, many times. Particularly when it comes to player injuries.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

McCarthy's word has been proven otherwise many, many times. Particularly when it comes to player injuries.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No head coach is going to give you exact injuries. You should watch other head coaches post game conferences some time. It's not a Mike McCarthy thing, it's a coach thing.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
10 years ago
Pack93z: Here is my issue with Campen - how do we measure exactly how competent he is?

When Mike McCarthy was hired, he hired Jagodszinsky as his OC. Jags was hired away from Atlanta, where he apparently had learned some secrets through recorded practices of teaching cut-blocking and zone blocking from Alex Gibbs. I remember it was widely known that Jags would be helping teach the zone blocking scheme, taking a lead role alongside Campen to implement the unique methods he learned from Gibbs.

Then Jags left to become coach at BC, and Philbin was hired as OC. I believe it was Dunne or Silverstein who mentioned (in response to wondering how big a loss was Philbin) that Philbin was missed most in thoroughly prepping the offense during the week for the looks they'd see from opposing defenses. Apparently, Philbin was thorough in going through the different formations that the offense could see on a Sunday; however, other than this it was said (in that article/chat) that Philbin spent most of the practices during the week with the O-line group. So, apparently Philbin had a hand in managing Campen's position group, as well.

Now McCarthy tells us he always thought Lang was best suited to RG. It's true; a while back (after Lang's rookie season) in an after-draft interview, I vividly remember Mike McCarthy saying how he thought Lang was best suited to RG, but other position coaches thought he had a chance at LG or even T. I remember this because it was a rare glimpse of how Mike McCarthy conducted business - a much more consensus approach as opposed to a "I say X, so X it is" type of approach; it was some unique insight into MM's management of his staff.

This move to Lang at RG, coupled with MM's comments about how he (Note: not a position coach like Campen, but "he" as in McCarthy himself) thought Lang was best suited to RG makes me again wonder how much say Campen has in the matter.

Frankly, throughout his tenure it seems Campen has not been given sole responsibility of the O-line unit. That either means Campen's an incompetent fool (which makes me wonder why McCarthy keeps Campen around, because he hired Campen on the suggestion of Larry Beightol; there was no prior history between Campen/MM), or frankly Mike McCarthy has stripped Campen of any ability to do his job (in which case, Campen is the "Yes" man who Mike McCarthy is happy to have around). I agree talent itself is not the sole issue of our problems.

But history makes it really difficult to apportion blame given that it seems like everyone and their mother has a say in our O-linemen coaching. That's not to say Campen is not a problem (his lack of seeming independence is worrisome), but I'm beginning to wonder if the finger should not be pointed at McCarthy directly for more than simply keeping Campen.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Just set the line, AND KEEP THE SAME 5 GUYS AT THE SAME 5 POSITIONS!!!

I'm fine with the moves as long as they don't decide midway through the pre-seaon that it's not working and start flipping guys around.

Know who your starters are, know who your backups are.

If and when an injury occurs, plug in the backup guy, don't start flipping your starters all over.

"The Jeff Saturday" experiment last year was one of the worst moves Ted has made.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Dulak
10 years ago

1 out of 12 drafted isn't bad I guess.. but then of course looking just at one single player does not make a unit either.

So lets look at those stats.. (now some of that is also related to play calling as well)

2012 51 sacks allowed, 31st in the league. - Bear 44 25th
2011 41 sacks allowed 21st in the league - Bears 49 27th
2010 38 sacks allowed 19th in the league - Bears 56 32nd
2009 51 sacks allowed 32nd in the league - Bears 35 19th

I am pretty damn sure that is failing to develop a good unit ... about par with the Bears and I am pretty damn sure they shit canned a coach or two in that tenure.

13 lineman drafted in his tenure.. 1 Pro Bowl appearance.. I will stick by my statement. That goodness Rodgers is durable and can throw on the run... unlike Cutler.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

nice post there -

as far as our players - ... lang appears to be a decent guard; but didn't do so well at tackle ... Im really not sure how well bulaga is at tackle - I thought he wasn't that great but I cant quite remember. Its like we have a bunch of guys that make decent or great guards/center - but are not that great at tackle. Need the str/speed/arm length and quickness off the line to stop those speed/power rushers ...

I remember those years with Rodgers getting sacked so many times; I didn't realize he got sacked again 51 sacks last year.

His weakness as we pointed out in these forums is Rodgers holding onto that ball for too long ... but why is this? ... his main option is only to pass and Mike McCarthy appeared to have difficulty creating short passing plays; or screens ... and to top it off all of those years we have never had a running game that was to be respected ... ok we got a few yards but nothing that really got defences worried ... so that usually meant Rodgers had to throw into more coverage.

So as a keyboard coach - If we can implement better blocking (both in the pass and run) and be able to utilize our potential 2 top RB picks and to utilize short passes and screens more ... this may bring Rodgers sack total down; even with subpar Oline just for the fact that we will have options and keep the opposing defences guessing ...

So same Oline guys - but options to short pass or run and Rodgers gets sacked less ...
If only right? ...

QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

1 out of 12 drafted isn't bad I guess.. but then of course looking just at one single player does not make a unit either.

So lets look at those stats.. (now some of that is also related to play calling as well)

2012 51 sacks allowed, 31st in the league. - Bear 44 25th
2011 41 sacks allowed 21st in the league - Bears 49 27th
2010 38 sacks allowed 19th in the league - Bears 56 32nd
2009 51 sacks allowed 32nd in the league - Bears 35 19th

I am pretty damn sure that is failing to develop a good unit ... about par with the Bears and I am pretty damn sure they shit canned a coach or two in that tenure.

13 lineman drafted in his tenure.. 1 Pro Bowl appearance.. I will stick by my statement. That goodness Rodgers is durable and can throw on the run... unlike Cutler.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Cherry picking stats can prove any argument.

The OL makes up 5/11 of the starters on offense. Has our offense been bad? If half of the offense is coached this poorly, how can it possibly perform? Because our OL is decent.

Can it be better? Absolutely.

Packers had the #9 Passing team last year. Bears were 29th. Rodgers isn't that much better than Cutler.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

No head coach is going to give you exact injuries. You should watch other head coaches post game conferences some time. It's not a Mike McCarthy thing, it's a coach thing.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

exactly. I am not saying Mike is bad or evil for not disclosing all the minuet details of injuries but since no coach (or GM for that matter) "is going to give you exact injuries" to use your phrase, what Mike has told us thus far is not the whole story.

As to whether or not they drafted an OT in the 1st 3 rounds or not that too is inconclusive of any proof as to the seriousness of Sherrod's injury.
There is plenty of reasons to speculate as to why they made the moves they did or did not make. AS mentioned one of them is that Sherrod may weel come back this year. But it is not the only one.

Ted and Mike might feel that one of the remaining OTs will do an average or adequate job at RT and they did not have a real need.
They might have felt the need at DE and RB was greater than the need at RT.
They may have felt that the players taken represented the BPA and didn't want to pick a OT when there was better value on the board to be had.
Sherrod may in deed recover, next year. And they did not want to invest a high draft pick in 3 OT.
They may have felt the young bucks they picked up in the 4th would be available and fit their needs and they were willing to wait and see before going for an OT.

UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

I'm trying to think positive about it ... and the only positive I can come up with is ... perhaps Coach Mike is settling on a OL very early ... which I feel would be freaking swell.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It is kind of funny, but, yeah. Seems like he's looking to change what clearly was not working, and decisively acting to establish his change on our OL, before TC.

That is a positive.

Having had a couple of days to think about it, it does make sense. If Sherrod is indeed able to return, it will be better for him to be at RT in transitioning back into the starting lineup. That is one scenario.

Another scenario involves Bakhtiari eventually starting at RT. Tauscher did it as a 7th Round rookie in 2000. Who knows? Maybe Datko has developed enough to legitimately contend for the starting position.

No matter what, if we are not adding any more personnel but what we've drafted or signed UDFA these past 3 seasons, this shift on the line makes sense. Old guard, proven talent on the Left, new blood on the Right.

A third scenario at RT is that Marshall Newhouse puts it all together and wins the job. That would be fine. Maybe he makes that jump in his level of play year 3.

As for Center, I still think Tretter or Patrick Lewis contend there for the starting spot. Ted knew exactly what he was bringing in with Lewis, a 3-time All Big 12 selection at both G and C. He did make a pre-draft visit to GB.

So, given all of this, the line is changing. GOOD! Something had to give there, and maybe these changes and new players challenging to start will help. Regardless, this line is way better without Jeff Saturday. it is already improved.

One other thing of note: this is where Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy can really make their draft & develop philosophy shine. I can see it. We've got some good talent that has been with us now on our OL for the last 2 or 3 seasons. Maybe this is the moment when one or two more (besides Bulaga, Sitton and Lang) of those guys breaks through:

2008 Sitton R4
2009 Lang R4
2010 Bulaga R1 and Newhouse R5
2011 Sherrod R1
2012 Datko R7
2013 Bakhtiari R4 and Tretter R4
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.