play2win
10 years ago
This from @DraftScout's Rob Range:

"Anyone who watched the Packers get dismantled by San Francisco in the playoffs anticipated that general manager Ted Thompson would focus on defense early and he did so, nabbing productive defensive end Datone Jones from UCLA in the first round. Jones was terrific this past season for the Bruins and carried that over to the Senior Bowl. The Packers only had one selection on Day Two, but he could prove a steal, nabbing running back Eddie Lacy, a player many (including myself) projected them to take a round earlier. Lacy has drawn comparisons to Steven Jackson for his blend of power and agility. Considering the red-zone opportunities that he could get with Aaron Rodgers throwing the football, Lacy could be an offensive rookie of the year candidate -- if that is, he beats out fourth-round selection Jonathan Franklin, who left UCLA as the team's all-time rushing leader and turned heads at the Senior Bowl. Franklin was the headliner, but was just one of the standouts from the Packers' impressive haul on day three. Frankly, no team got better value in rounds four and five than Green Bay. David Bakhtiari and J.C. Tretter are future contributors to an offensive line that needed reinforcements and defenders Micah Hyde and Josh Boyd are good football players who didn't get enough national attention after being overshadowed by more high profile teams in their power conferences." Grade: A

http://sulia.com/channel/green-bay-packers/f/9b1150d3-729f-4dc2-99fa-8c742f8b176e/?source=twitter 

I take them all with a grain of salt immediately after the draft, but some of the stuff is definitely encouraging.
Porforis
10 years ago
I don't pay attention to college football so I don't know the players, and nobody knows how they'll work out for the team for at least a year or so. I mainly look at the positions we drafted and rely on "expert" analysis to determine if the guy's got any huge deficiencies. We hit all of our major needs, I'm surprised we grabbed two RBs early on and would have preferred some extra O line help or maybe a TE if quality happened to exist at that point in those positions, but overall I'd give Ted a tentative B.
Dulak
10 years ago
I give this years draft a A-
Id of ranked it higher if we'd of grabbed Okoye, Lawrence (but he's going to SF now as a UDFA)

I like all our picks - the corner/safety guy seems a bit iffy - seems like some of our UDFA might be better then him.

But we got a nice DE, 2 solid RB (can you believe that??? Ive wanted a decent running back years ago ... heck I think we all have; I mean Brandon Jackson had a decent year a few years ago but that's it ... we only got to see grant run into our Oline men ... starks was decent for the SB run up but then got what ... turf toe? and was out? ... geez ...
anyways - we might have a running game ...)

we got 2 OLine dudes that can spar for a place on the team and 2 WRs that might pan out - I don't like boykin (spelling?) (ross is our return guy right so he was decent (cept for the fumble), and we got 2 OLBers that can compete opposite Matthews.

and a NT ... really cant complain.

quite excited about our potential run game as you can tell ... that franklin guy looks like a mini cobb; catching passes and running with it ... I see lacey more of a back like Michael Turner (strong legs and a nice cut) and franklin more like a percy harvin type ... who knows ...

macbob
10 years ago
Chris Burke, SI.com:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/28/2013-nfl-draft-grades-jaguars-49ers-rams-top-the-class/ 

Green Bay Packers

So…no one else wanted RBs Eddie Lacy or Johnathan Franklin? Well, good luck trying to stop them in Green Bay’s offense. DE Datone Jones also has a perfect look for the Packers’ front. G/T David Bakhtiari gives the Packers another option along the O-line (as does J.C. Tretter), while S Micah Hyde will be in the mix on defense. Grade: A-minus

In SI.com's Steals & Reaches article, Chris said:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/27/2013-nfl-draft-steals-and-reaches/ 

• Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin, RBs, Packers (Nos. 61 and 125): First, Lacy dropped to Green Bay late in Round 2. Then, the same scenario played out with Franklin at almost exactly the same spot in Round 4. These backs could have been the top two off the board at their position and no one would have batted an eye.

Evan Silva on Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43159/174/draft-2013-nfc-draft-grades 

Green Bay Packers

26. Datone Jones, defensive end, UCLA.
61. Eddie Lacy, running back, Alabama.
109. David Bakhtiari, guard/tackle, Colorado.
122. J.C. Tretter, guard/center, Cornell.
125. Johnathan Franklin, running back, UCLA.
159. Micah Hyde, defensive back, Iowa.
167. Josh Boyd, defensive lineman, Mississippi State.
193. Nate Palmer, outside linebacker, Illinois State.
216. Charles Johnson, receiver, Grand Valley State.
224. Kevin Dorsey, receiver, Maryland.
232. Sam Barrington, linebacker, South Florida.

Overview: GM Ted Thompson annually dominates on draft day; it's where he butters his bread. The Packers are not a free-agency team. Jones is a relentless, potentially special inside rusher who finally gives Green Bay a legitimate replacement for Cullen Jenkins. Lacy and Franklin can form a Thunder & Lightning backfield with the former as a light-footed wrecking ball and latter in the big-play, change-up role. Both rookies can pick up the blitz and play on all three downs. Bakhtiari is a heady, athletic mover and fit for the Packers' zone scheme. Hyde, Palmer, and Barrington are core special teams guys. Johnson abused his competition at small-school Grand Valley State and has Julio Jones-like measurables. The value on Lacy, Franklin, and Johnson was sensational. Chalk up another draft-weekend "win" for arguably the top GM in the sport.

Grade: B+

Foxsports (3 graders):

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/2013-nfl-draft-report-cards-every-team-042813#tab=photo-title=Green+Bay+Packers&photo=31721454 

Green Bay Packers

Floyd Engel: (A) The power of a good GM has been proven again. Ted Thompson killed it, especially like the two running backs he picked up in Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin.

Marvez: (B) UCLA’s Datone Jones fits the bill as a 3-4 end. The selection of Lacy (second round) and UCLA’s Franklin (fourth) doesn’t bode well for incumbent running backs James Starks and Alex Green.

Schrager: (B+) Jones is a talented 6-4 defensive lineman that can play multiple spots. He’s stout enough to play defensive tackle and can get to the quarterback. Lacy was a nice value pick in the second round, but Franklin could be a Warrick Dunn clone. Two solid running backs to add to a good squad.

The Sporting News:

Grade A:

Green Bay Packers: The highlight of another good Ted Thompson haul was doubling up on running backs with Alabama's Eddie Lacy and UCLA's Johnathan Franklin. After their recent injury mess at the position, the powerful fresh legs the Packers now have sets them up for a much stronger committee approach. They also nailed the first round with UCLA defensive end Datone Jones, a versatile player ready to be a productive pass rusher in their 3-4. Then they went for two offensive tackles — Colorado's David Bakhtiari and Cornell's J.C. Tretter — who will end up helping on their line somewhere.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
I don't know much about the players and I don't bother with +/- grades. It will be 3 years before we know for sure but as of now I don't mind saying it looks like a solid "B"
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
10 years ago
I feel much better now after reading those draft grades.
Especially wpr giving a B. he and I seemed to be on the same negative page on Friday night.
Now get em all signed and put em to work.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I think we should be grading the draft from three years ago, not the one from a day ago. I'd give the draft an A if they didn't blow their second round pick. Alas, they did, so C+.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Some years it certainly hasn't been this way, but I am extremely happy with this draft. I give it "A" with an upgrade to "A+" if the UDFAs are factored in.

I said way back "that UCLA kid" was my first choice as a first round pick, although I didn't think it would happen. I thought they'd take one of the big DT clods. We did NOT need O Line help in the early rounds UNLESS they were negative about Sherrod coming back strong. Not going that direction speaks even louder than McCarthy's positive words about Sherrod.

I am on record as wanting Montee Ball - I plead guilty to homerism for that. I also did not want Lacy in the first round. Getting him in the second, though, is fantastic. IMO, the sky is the limit for this guy, and not much less for Franklin, considering where we got him.

Many wanted a Safety drafted early; I did not. Many wanted a Center drafted early, I also am on record as NOT wanting that.

I wish we had done a little bit more at OLB, but maybe Palmer is enough. Here too, the NOT taking of an OLB earlier seems to mean they have confidence in Perry coming back strong.

I'm surprised no ILB was taken, but this also could mean Bishop is on track to return healthy ( I HOPE it doesn't merely mean confidence in Brad Jones).

Everybody seems great the day after the draft, of course, but the reports on the backup O Linemen taken seems good. Ditto that for Hyde and Smith as well as Johnson and Dorsey. Throw in Stoneburner, and we have the TE I expected to grab late in the draft (thankfully not in the first or second round).

As I said, A+.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I feel much better now after reading those draft grades.
Especially wpr giving a B. he and I seemed to be on the same negative page on Friday night.
Now get em all signed and put em to work.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I had PMS and bloating issues. I feel better now. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I had PMS and bloating issues. I feel better now. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: wpr 

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/study-shows-men-also-suffer-from-pms-6988315.html 

C+ for draft
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.