wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Maybe its just the way I read things but I have seen plenty of posts and articles that give me the impression that the author thinks they know more than Ted Thompson or any number of GMs. It's not just a Packers thing. Like I said to zero, in another response, you will forgive me if I don't think you are more knowledgeable.

I've said many times that I have no problem with disagreement with or disappointment in TTs picks. I've disagreed with picks and I have been disappointed with picks and I have voiced such in the past. What I don't do is pretend that I know more than the man does because I don't. Again, maybe its just the way I interpret things but a lot of the moaning and groaning that I read about comes from people who do think they know more.

I've seen posts where people say things about a 2nd rounder or a third rounder or a fourth rounder "so and so had them rated in the 6th round" or they could have had him as an undrafted FA. If you can honestly say you have not seen this then you have not been paying attention.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Well they are idiots or morons. Not nerdmann of course. Gotta love nerdmann in all his glory. Keep in mind when yo read a couple of things. Most people are not as adept in communication skills as they should be. And what someone means and what they type and what another person thinks it means are often 3 different things. For example I took you to be more aggressive and confrontation that what you thought you were being. For that I am sorry.

edit- even after Harrell flamed out I don't recall roasting Ted. It was a gamble and it failed. I did revise my opinion as to WHEN to take a gamble. 5th round ok fine. 1st round not fine. Reach a little maybe but out right gamble no.

By and large I do not mind the draft picks. I would have preferred high picks than lower ones but then most people would. It would be great (cap room aside) to have 5 first round picks and nothing else in the draft. I simply said so. I more or less like the guys we have. Picking 10-12 new players means some of them are going away. I am not over excited about that prospect. The lower picks from 4 on down are going to take awhile before they can provide consistent help. I don't like to wait.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
I Was gone all day, just now was able to look and see what Ted did today.
I am willing to bet that Johnson and Dorsey will end up on the PS.
Packers are set at WR with Nelson,Jones Cobb, Boykin and Ross.

LB's Palmer and Barrington both have a good chance of ending up on 53 man roster.

Depending on Perry's health at the beginning of TC, if he is not ready then there will be room for both.

Tackles Baktian and Tretter will have a tough time cracking the 53 man roster, again this depends on the health of Sherrard.

DE's Jones and Boyd,along with RB's Lacey and Franklin IMHO not only will be on the 53 man roster, they all will either start or be in a rotation providing rest for the starters.

CB Micah Hyde will get every shot to make the final roster, he will have only himslf to blame if he ends up on the PS or released.

All in all a pretty productive draft for Ted, anything can happen, but if all play to their potetial, it looks like Ted has beefed up the D-line, vastley improved the RB situation, and added depth to several positions.

Only time will tell if this is an A+ draft or a D draft.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
10 years ago

LB's Palmer and Barrington both have a good chance of ending up on 53 man roster.

Depending on Perry's health at the beginning of TC, if he is not ready then there will be room for both.

Tackles Baktian and Tretter will have a tough time cracking the 53 man roster, again this depends on the health of Sherrard.

DE's Jones and Boyd,along with RB's Lacey and Franklin IMHO not only will be on the 53 man roster, they all will either start or be in a rotation providing rest for the starters.

CB Micah Hyde will get every shot to make the final roster, he will have only himslf to blame if he ends up on the PS or released.

All in all a pretty productive draft for Ted, anything can happen, but if all play to their potetial, it looks like Ted has beefed up the D-line, vastley improved the RB situation, and added depth to several positions.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

No way Johnson clears waivers. He'd be snapped up before he even makes the PS. Dude's raw, but with his skills he could be utilized right away. Also, I think Tretter will end up beating out EDS for the C position. Heck, van Roten might beat out EDS.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I don't think either LB makes the 53, practice squad guys. Bacteria and Tretter will both make the 53, and I'm real excited to see if they come close to knocking out EDS and Lang. Agree with you on the running backs and dlineman. Micah Hyde has to beat out Jarrett, the cat, Bush. Tall order because of special teams.

UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
EDS really that bad that 2 new drafties will beat him out? I thought he played really well at center. Better than Saturday. I think I heard Aaron say once that he was the C of the future during one of his Radio shows. And obviously he took over the last few games at center. Honestly Lang is a solid player as well.. I just think Newhouse needs to be challenged on the Offensive Line and I'll say Newhouse isn't horrible either.. He's going into his 3rd year Starting at LT. He's developing at a ok rate. And wasn't he a 4th or 5th round pick? I'd say he's a decent player in that draft.
play2win
10 years ago

EDS really that bad that 2 new drafties will beat him out? I thought he played really well at center. Better than Saturday. I think I heard Aaron say once that he was the C of the future during one of his Radio shows. And obviously he took over the last few games at center. Honestly Lang is a solid player as well.. I just think Newhouse needs to be challenged on the Offensive Line and I'll say Newhouse isn't horrible either.. He's going into his 3rd year Starting at LT. He's developing at a ok rate. And wasn't he a 4th or 5th round pick? I'd say he's a decent player in that draft.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Thank you Gaycandybacon.

I like both EDS and Newhouse. They've both done pretty well. Of course, they've had their whiffs. We've all seen them, moreso with Newhouse. I honestly can't recall a truly bad play by EDS.

Seems all of our linemen will benefit from an emphasis by the staff on run blocking, which can no longer be ignored like I believe it had been previously. Having quality depth now will be refreshing, along with some heightened competition for starting spots. The rookies will get a great opportunity to develop, and I like our OL additions quite a bit with this in mind.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Thank you Gaycandybacon.

I like both EDS and Newhouse. They've both done pretty well. Of course, they've had their whiffs. We've all seen them, moreso with Newhouse. I honestly can't recall a truly bad play by EDS.

Seems all of our linemen will benefit from an emphasis by the staff on run blocking, which can no longer be ignored like I believe it had been previously. Having quality depth now will be refreshing, along with some heightened competition for starting spots. The rookies will get a great opportunity to develop, and I like our OL additions quite a bit with this in mind.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I'll split the difference. I like EDS, and I like Newhouse as a backup, but not as a starter. The best news of all to me from these three draft days is that the Packers apparently have enough confidence in Sherrod's recovery that they didn't draft a OT in the early rounds. If he is anything like you expect from a first round pick, and Bulaga is back to 2011 form, then everything else falls into place. I said all along, draft a lineman who can be a backup center in the late rounds; Tretter is that - with Lewis for insurance.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
10 years ago

Most people are not complaining about who was picked, more about the strategy of trading back this year. Because of Ted doing his job pretty good in the past, the team is at a point where we don't have room for 7-8 rookies on the roster, yet alone 11. The team doesn't improve by replacing young projects with new young projects. There were better quality players available when Ted traded back, there were better quality players that Ted could have traded up for.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I can see that. I've thought the same thing many time but lets assume you go into a season with 45 of your current players pretty fairly safe for the next year and 8 guys are expendable. You stand a better chance of getting 8 better guys than the 8 you have if you draft 11 than if you draft just 8. I do agree however with the part about not improving if you just keep replacing the bottom tier of guys. I just think that by the time you get out of the third round you stand about as much chance of getting a solid hit with a 6th rounder as you do with a 4th. One of those hits just may replace someone above the bottom tier and the more guys you have to look at the better your chances are.

I'm not sure I agree with your comment about the better quality players being available but with my very limited knowledge of these players I can't argue specifics with you. All I will say is that just because they are generally thought of to be higher round talent is no guarantee that they will be better players. In a lot of cases I follow the mantra"you get what you pay for" but not so much when it comes to football.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.