Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:41:05 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,312

Originally Posted by: SINCITYCHEEZE Go to Quoted Post
Could you be talking about Me???? Here is my original quote from my facebook post. "PackersHome mods,could we get these spammers blocked please." I wouldn't call it whining,more like espressing concern.It just pisses me off that that some people have nothing better to do than waste the mods valuable time with such worthless B.S. that no one in there right mind would interested in. Trust me,you wouldn't want me trying to do any computer work for the site. My computer skills leave a lot to be desired.

SCC,

there was suppose to be a smilie face wink after that comment. I was in a hurry to get to the hospital and be with my wife.

Sorry I didn't mean any offense. I actually had changed how I phrased the post and still didn't get it the way I intended.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:52:52 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 109

No worries WPR. These spam a-holes just piss me off too. Wish we could find a way to RickRoll them to internet hell!!!!
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:13:23 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 257
Applause Received: 226

Have New Members have to answer a trivia question before being allowed to post?

Something like, who was the best Packers QB ever? Whistle
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:50:55 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 647

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
Have New Members have to answer a trivia question before being allowed to post?

Something like, who was the best Packers QB ever? Whistle

It's a tie:
1a. Frank Patrick.
1b. Jim Del Gaizo.
1c. Carlos Brown.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:54:24 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,835
Applause Received: 1,991

Sorry about the spam. Believe me, I try my best to make sure none of you see it. This last attack was quite ruthless. I think it was eight users registered to spam over night. Typically it's between 2 - 4 and one or two posts each.

New registrations are disabled until a satisfactory resolution can be discovered and implemented.

Edit, yes captcha is used and requires I believe 9 digits. A question/answer is not in the software. I am going to see about creating a tool to do just that. The problem though is these are human's, not bots that are doing this. Why are they choosing a Packers fan site for kitchen stuff? No clue.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline wpr  
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:23:34 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

a kitchen site for the UK no less. makes no sense.

UserPostedImage

Offline Laser Gunns  
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:26:02 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 216

Woah,

Didn't realize it was that bad.

I was just wondering if was a robot program or a couple of douches.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 6:53:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Here is one suggestion ...

1. Creat a Role named "Unapproved", set it as "Is Start"
2. Set "Read Only Access" or "No Access" on all forum
3. Once admin approved, then you set them to "Registered User" Role (offical member) and they can post things.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#24 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:31:57 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I seem to recall years ago I registered at some website and they wouldn't let me you my hotmail account. They didn't allow any of those types be it gmail (which wasn't around back then.) yahoo or the like. I had to use the one that was assigned to my internet provider. I wonder if that would slow things down some. Of course technology has changed so much. We probably only had a couple of accounts available to use. Now providers allow you to create a whole lot more.

btw I checked with another board that I go to. I never see spam posts there so I asked him what he did. The only thing he did that I have not seen mentioned here was that he wanted the new members to have a US email address. I find it strange since he was regular posters who are overseas. I told him we have too many members that live overseas who are valued members of the board and we wouldn't want to keep others like them from joining.

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:02:21 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Thank you for the leg work.

yopmail was the tell tale for the spammers, but now they are using @domain.com of their choice. I could create wpr@packershome.com if I wanted and if banned, create wpr1@packerhsome.com, etc... or wpr@noequalsol.com ... domain's are easy to come by, especially with the free email services.

I know a few tricks to find out if they are spam accounts. I just have to catch them in the middle of creating/posting, which I have quite a few times. Which lemme tell you, when I slap them out before they get to post ... BOOM I do a little fist pump and flip the finger at them with a big smile.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 4/19/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#26 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:08:34 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

yopmail was the tell tale for the spammers, but now they are using @domain.com of their choice. I could create wpr@packershome.com if I wanted and if banned, create wpr1@packerhsome.com, etc... or wpr@noequalsol.com ... domain's are easy to come by, especially with the free email services.

I know a few tricks to find out if they are spam accounts. I just have to catch them in the middle of creating/posting, which I have quite a few times. Which lemme tell you, when I slap them out before they get to post ... BOOM I do a little fist pump and flip the finger at them with a big smile.

Applause Applause Applause

Kevin:
Wanna Box? Wanna Box? Wanna Box? Wanna Box? Wanna Box? Wanna Box? Wanna Box? Wanna Box? Wanna Box? Wanna Box?

then they say:
It Wasn't Me It Wasn't Me It Wasn't Me It Wasn't Me It Wasn't Me

Yeah having your own domain 10 years ago was almost unheard of unless you were a pretty good sized company. All the more reason to hate godaddy.

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#27 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:24:56 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

lol I had my own domain 10 years ago ... for a Tribes 2 Renegades clan called Death 2 All. It was d2aclan.com but I think someone has since bought it.

]d2a[ SlickVision

for the win!

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#28 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:26:42 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Or just redirect them to lemonparty instead.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Mucky Tundra on 4/19/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#29 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:59:12 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,021

Here is one suggestion ...

1. Creat a Role named "Unapproved", set it as "Is Start"
2. Set "Read Only Access" or "No Access" on all forum
3. Once admin approved, then you set them to "Registered User" Role (offical member) and they can post things.

Here is the thing with these approaches.. at least from my viewpoint and experience. The casual user passing by the becomes interested in a topic and wishes to respond, now will not have the ability to, which might prevent them from interacting and possibly becoming more involved.

Basically, will it have an impact on the growth of the website that you have been seeking?

I think it is more notable here because everything falls on one.. not a few that can spread over the load of nipping the spam accounts in the bud.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#30 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 11:36:42 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Here is the thing with these approaches.. at least from my viewpoint and experience. The casual user passing by the becomes interested in a topic and wishes to respond, now will not have the ability to, which might prevent them from interacting and possibly becoming more involved.

Basically, will it have an impact on the growth of the website that you have been seeking?

I think it is more notable here because everything falls on one.. not a few that can spread over the load of nipping the spam accounts in the bud.

Probably, but what negative impact to the growth desired is spam having? How many people want to come to a site littered with crap about kitchens in the UK when they are expecting to talk about the Packers? I'd think that would turn quite a few away too. I could be over analyzing things too though. I dunno.

Maybe adding a person or two to help clean up the spam would be best. I dunno. I just don't like sharing "my" problems. I should be smart enough to figure something out to stop this crap. Ugh!!

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed