Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/aug08/tryan826.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - If he had his druthers, Ryan Grant would run the ball at will in the Green Bay Packers' exhibition finale Thursday night against the Tennessee Titans.

But Packers coach Mike McCarthy wont allow it, not in a meaningless game like this and especially not in Grants first live action since running into the unyielding arms of the New York Giants defense seven months ago. He, like the rest of the Packers starters, will be in the game for about 10 snaps.

As eager as Grant is to prove hes not a one-year wonder, he might have to get used to the concept of moderation because if McCarthy has his way, there wont be many 30-carry nights for his starting halfback. As good as Grant was in his first season as a starter, McCarthy doesnt want to see a premature end to his career.

I dont think he needs to carry it 30 times for us, McCarthy said. I dont think he needs to carry it 25. I think 20 would be great. You have to be smart with a guy. You get him 20 carries a game, thats being smart and productive. You can get him the ball some other ways through the passing game.

I dont want the guy to be a one- or two-year flash and be done with him. History supports that.

At least the overall numbers do. A National Football League Players Association study released several years ago reported that the average career of an NFL player was 3.5 years in length. For a running back, it was only 2.6 years.

For every vintage running machine like Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber and Emmitt Smith, there are multiple side-of-the-road wrecks like Jamal Anderson, Domanick Davis, Carnell Cadillac Williams and Rudi Johnson, all of whom broke down under the strain of overuse.

It might not be music to Grants ears that hell be limited to around 300 carries this year, but the fact is last season he gained 1,159 yards in roughly 19 carries a game starting with the Denver Broncos game Oct. 29. Toward the end of the year, McCarthy started to incorporate backup Brandon Jackson into the lineup, which is something he plans on doing even more this year.

Grant, who missed all but six practices this summer because of a contract dispute and a hamstring strain, will make his exhibition debut against the Titans and then prepare to be the Packers main running threat for the season opener Sept. 8 against Minnesota. Although his carries will be limited, his overall number of touches might not be.

One of the ways McCarthy plans to increase Grants role without subjecting him to the pounding he takes running into 300-pound defensive linemen is to incorporate him more into the passing game. Last year, Grant caught 30 passes but had more than two catches in only four of the 18 games in which he appeared.

Playing with Aaron Rodgers, who is more likely to dump the ball off than Brett Favre, Grant could wind up being among the team leaders in receptions this year. Such a thing happened during the 2003 season, when Ahman Green rushed for a franchise-high 1,883 yards and also finished second behind Donald Driver in receptions with 50.

The problem is that Grant has basically missed two training camps with the Packers, last year because he was acquired in a trade a week before the opener and this year because of the contract and injury. Even his off-season program was affected this year because he was unable to practice without a contract.

Even though Grant has been in meetings and watching every snap at practice, he hasnt been working on his timing in the screen game or taking on blitzing linebackers when he stays in the backfield.

I would have liked to get him more experience in the passing game, McCarthy said. I dont care what system youre in, its the nuances of check-downs and timing and all that. Youd just really like to go through it with him.

Grant said after evaluating his 2007 season he rushed for 956 yards (5.1 average) and eight touchdowns in the regular-season he thought there were things he could do a lot better. He proved to be a good fit for the one-cut, zone style of running game McCarthy favors, but there were times his balance wasnt good and his timing was off.

The Packers worked harder on their screen pass this summer, but Grant wasnt able to be a part of it, so hell be working from scratch when regular-season practice begins.

You can get better at everything, Grant said. You evaluate yourself, youre hard on yourself. There are a lot of things I did wrong and could get better on. Even plays that I did right I can get better on.

Im just trying to get more comfortable with certain plays. I wanted to feel comfortable with me doing everything. I want to be literally where I could be a quarterback on the field. I think the more you know, it slows the game down.

Grants road back starts against the Titans and reaches highway speed Sept. 8. How far he has fallen behind and how far McCarthy is willing to go with him will be answered at that time.

UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Z, that big pic of Grant is covering up most of the text
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Z, that big pic of Grant is covering up most of the text

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Nope, it is not. 😉
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
it is on my browser, IE7
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

it is on my browser, IE7

"bozz_2006" wrote:

You sir are very correct. It also happens on IE6. I always forget some people still actually use IE at all. I rarely double check things on that lol...

It's fixed now.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

it is on my browser, IE7

"bozz_2006" wrote:

What the heck are you doing using IE7? Try Firefox. It works.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
zombieslayer
15 years ago

it is on my browser, IE7

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

You sir are very correct. It also happens on IE6. I always forget some people still actually use IE at all. I rarely double check things on that lol...

It's fixed now.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Why fix it?
People who use IE are masochists and should be punished.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago
OK, back on topic.

History shows that limiting carries to a RB is a GOOD thing. I'm glad Mike McCarthy is throwing Jackson in there more. I'd like to see Grant have a 6+ year career with us.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
walleye
15 years ago

OK, back on topic.

History shows that limiting carries to a RB is a GOOD thing. I'm glad Mike McCarthy is throwing Jackson in there more. I'd like to see Grant have a 6+ year career with us.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

That would be nice!
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

it is on my browser, IE7

"zombieslayer" wrote:

What the heck are you doing using IE7? Try Firefox. It works.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

IE6 doesn't even display the graphical PNG file extensions properly. Pathetic.

I think Grant needs more carries. He's inconsistent and you never know when he'll bust one. His stats are deceiving.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (8h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.