Pack93z
10 years ago
How I truly view this.. this is a bridge type contract.

If Finley plays well this season or not.. I think he will out price himself in Green Bay. Either performance result with probably have him out stretching his long term value for the Packers. He will only be 27... and will be seeking his career payday.

So... the Packers will hope one of the guys on the roster pan out or will inject another player via the draft or UDFA that will bolster the numbers at TE. Williams and Quarless are in the must prove it sector of their career in GB.. or the Packers will force it.

But if the draft falls right.. the Packers land a impact player at Tight end.. I could see the Packers moving Finley in a trade. They have already absorbed his roster bonus.. and he would have a very manageable contract for someone to undertake. I could see someone giving up some value to obtain Finley's potential and talents.. might not be a high round pick but mid round potential for sure.

Either way.. there is little doubt that Finley value ratio favors him currently.. but as Porky noted.. it has no long term impact.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
10 years ago

First, you have a heavy bias against Jermichael Finley over gloves, so your take is quite tainted.
Second, yes, $8.5 is too much for Jermichael Finley, as who said several times, oh, that was me.
Finally, what I am also saying is he's not a pile of garbage like some are insinuating and that he's a complete waste of money and Ted Thompson failed in this regard.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Boy do I miss Tyrone Davis, what a consumate professional he was at tight end. I mean Finley makes Tyrone look like Jerry Rice. 🙄 [sarcasm]

When Finley starts catching everything again, and smoking linebackers and safeties we'll be wondering how to get him under the cap.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
10 years ago

Finley has a issue with a PR filter from his mouth to the mic... but beyond that he is a fine football player for the Packers.

Overpaid.. probably slightly.. but lets compare some names on the market.

Zach Miller.. 11m cap number this season.
Veron Davis 8.739
Heath Miller 7.958
Antonio Gates 6.862
Marcedes Lewis 8.25 (however he converted some of the bonus to reduce the cap number this season to 5.75)

By standard of some of these names.. he isn't that far out of whack on the top end of the market.. even though his production in near the top.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

vernon davis makes finley look like a preschooler ... geez that guy has some skills ...
Id say 7 mil is fine for finley - I dont get why packers overpays with some people and others that just dont worry about.

DoddPower
10 years ago

Fair enough. Keller didn't perform admirably last year, but he has been a more reliable receiver than Finley in the years before that.

I think that, if you sign someone in free agency, there's more than enough time to get familiar with a system. Players change teams in FA all the time and just contnue producing the next year. If a guy can join the Patriots offense as a WR and completely grasp what Josh McDaniels wants to do in one off-season, I reckon a TE could get our offense figured out and produce.

Maybe you can't build up a chemistry between the QB and receiver that fast, but that's not something I've seen progressing that well between Finley and Rodgers, either.

As for the potential part... The man has been with our team since 2008. He can't get over his problems with drops, maturity and consistency. I was a huge fan of his when he joined us and, for a reasonable price, I'd still give him a chance, but at $8 million, I just don't like the investment.

Right now, I'd rather have a reliable option who doesn't have that much potential. A guy like Martellus Bennett would've been a nice, all-round TE, who's averaging $5 million a year. Not a difference maker, but a good, solid player. But maybe that's more of a personel preference than one you can blame Finley for.

That saves you "just" $3 million, but that is money you could've invested in a player like Adrian Wilson, Bernard Pollard, Antwan Barnes, Kenny Phillips, Leon Washington, Chris Canty etc.

Yes, that's easy to say in hindsight, but the combined contribution of a more afforable TE, who can't be that big of a drop-off from Finley, with one of those players would've helped us more than just Finley alone.

Of course, we still have some money free under our cap, so cutting Finley isn't something we have to do, but even if we just saved up that $3 million, I feel like rolling that over to next year or using it to restructure Matthews and front-load his contract some more would've helped us more than holding on to Jermike.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this. Blegh.

Most overvalued tight ends in 2012: 

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I would argue that over the 2nd half of last season, Finley DID become more consistent, and Mike McCarthy praised him on this multiple times. If he maintained that level of play for an entire season, he would earn his salary, imo.

As for those other players you listed that we hypothetically "could" have signed with the $3 million saved by cutting Finley and replacing him with a cheaper option, I don't really buy that either. Based on Ted Thompson comments about teams spending "stupid money," etc., I don't believe Ted would have signed any of those guys regardless of anything to do with Finley. I can't prove that, but it's just the feeling I get from reading his comments. It's definitely not as simple as "If Finley was gone, the Packers could have signed X, Y, or Z." Even with Finley staying, if Ted really wanted one of those guys, I'm sure he would have made it work.

Otherwise, I think Finley is better than Keller and Bennett at this point, but as I said that's subjective. I don't mind keeping Finley as a one-year insurance policy that allows other players to develop as I don't see Finley being a Packer beyond the 2013 season. Worst case scenario, at least the Packers have a good/solid (and potentially better) tight-end for the upcoming season that is perhaps getting paid a couple million too much (but that still depends on his performance, which obviously the Packers think he can live up to). After this season, Finley is off the books and has no affect on any of the Packers decisions moving forward. Another contract year may be just what Finley needs.
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
I could see Finley having a very good year, because as mentioned it's his contract year. If he wants to see those big checks keep coming he's going to have to earn it. If he does, we will have gotten our moneys worth. If he doesn't, we over spent for a year, not 3-5 years. I can see this decision.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Press-Gazette sports editor Mike Vandermause offers his take on the Packers opting to keep tight end Jermichael Finley and his $8.25 million price tag for the 2013 season.

PackersNews  wrote:

PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
Even at what we consider a down year for him compared to 2011. He was still top 10 in the league for TE. Considering that they were never really able to get things going the way they planned. They went basically the entire season, not having all of the weapons on the field, leaving finley dealing with more coverage. One of the things that make TE like Finley dangerous, is getting them behind the LBers. We haven't been able to do that with him because the LBers play deeper because we had no run threat.

If we can add a reasonable run threat, keep Jones, Nelson and Cobb on the field. that alone should open the lanes for Finley.

And if we are really lucky, Quarless makes it back. He is a good blocker, and a much bigger receiving threat than Crabby was.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
LOL, at the ending.

You have to ask yourself. Are the packers better with or without finley.

the answer is a resounding yes

Hey dipwad. It wasn't a yes or no question.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
10 years ago

Even at what we consider a down year for him compared to 2011. He was still top 10 in the league for TE. Considering that they were never really able to get things going the way they planned. They went basically the entire season, not having all of the weapons on the field, leaving finley dealing with more coverage. One of the things that make TE like Finley dangerous, is getting them behind the LBers. We haven't been able to do that with him because the LBers play deeper because we had no run threat.

If we can add a reasonable run threat, keep Jones, Nelson and Cobb on the field. that alone should open the lanes for Finley.

And if we are really lucky, Quarless makes it back. He is a good blocker, and a much bigger receiving threat than Crabby was.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Three things hold Finley back.

1: Finley not knowing the offense. Fortunately Arodge has decided to go over the plays with him every Saturday night before games.

2: Drops. Fortunately he started hanging on a little better this year.

3: Aaron trying to force it deep, even when teams are dropping their safeties back to prevent the long pass.

We have plenty of offensive weapons around him. Having this talent around him actually helps him, imo. He'd suck with Tyler Palco or Christian Ponder trying to get him the ball.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
blueleopard
10 years ago

In most of these highlights, Finley was the first read.

It's probably because defenses never accounted for him early on, but as anybody would tell you, at the beginning of the 2010 season -- the guy was unstoppable before the injury.

McCarthy adapted and went with the offense that didn't rely much on the tight end. With both Finley and Williams progressing and probably Quarless coming back, along with a deep TE draft, I really wouldn't mind McCarthy going with something similar to NE's offense.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.