steveishere
11 years ago
Lol Jenkins offered a "hometown discount" supposedly before he even hit FA. Based on the way his market was when he actually was a FA I'd say his discount was probably for more than he ended up getting and he was a little off on the amount of interest there was in his services.

Beyond that how can you really think you have any idea what Ted did or didn't do as far as offers or discussions with players? The guy says absolutely nothing about players ever. I think a player could say Ted offered him a hooker to sign and he would just say something like "we don't discuss personnel discussions"
beast
11 years ago

As for revisiting Cullen Jenkins end in GB, it went exactly like Woodson, with Ted not saying anything, not making an offer, not telling his player to test the market and get back.... Nothing. That, to me, is irresponsible.

Jenkins never had a chance to make the hometown discount. There were a lot of fans saying we could have afforded him for what he signed for in PHI.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

WHAT?!?!? Are you Jenkins agent? Or how do you know that?

Thompson was said to not make James Jones an offer that same year which turned out to be false, it was said about Jennings this year and that has turned out false. And he did it with Clifton.

Packers doesn't offer deals publicly ... but he does offer them.

It's also been rumored the Packers offered Jenkins more than he got with the eagles. But Jenkins turned it down at the time thinking it was too little, only to find out it was his best offer, but when the market went down, Thompson offer went down but still was the best and Jenkins was pissed at the Packers and didn't take it. Just like Jennings, other than Jennings hasn't been reported to be pissed, and don't know if Vikings will go over the Packers offer or not. And no I don't know the rumors are true, but I know Jenkins was pissed at the Packers as there was a couple reports of it, because he thought he should of given him what he wanted.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
11 years ago
Cullen Jenkins:

2010 with Packers: 11 games - 18 tackles - 7 sacks
2011 with Eagles: 16 games - 40 tackles - 5.5 sacks
2012 with Eagles: 16 games - 26 tackles - 4 sacks
2013 with Giants: Let's wait and see, doubt it will be better then 2011 season.

We can't just blame for Ted Thompson letting him slip away it's not he hit strides or something with the Eagles.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
porky88
11 years ago
I do agree that people have an attitude about players reaching 30-years-old. Look at the number of veterans Ron Wolf brought in. Aside from White, he traded for Keith Jackson, Eugene Robinson, and signed Sean Jones. I’m sure the ‘96 Packers could overcome the absence of one of those players. However, I could argue they'd have a difficult time winning without all three of them.
play2win
11 years ago
Justin Bannan could help us as an end. 33 yrs old. 6-3 313.

Casey Hampton could give us a lift we need at NT after playing in all 16 games last season for PIT.

Bigger point is holding to an arbitrary age # as a cut off and eliminating possible chances to improve.

porky, talking about those 96 Packers, I met Santana Dotson two nights ago. Dude looks like he could jump right back in and play!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Cullen Jenkins:

2010 with Packers: 11 games - 18 tackles - 7 sacks
2011 with Eagles: 16 games - 40 tackles - 5.5 sacks
2012 with Eagles: 16 games - 26 tackles - 4 sacks
2013 with Giants: Let's wait and see, doubt it will be better then 2011 season.

We can't just blame for Ted Thompson letting him slip away it's not he hit strides or something with the Eagles.

Originally Posted by: shield4life 

We can't blame Ted Thompson for letting Cullen Jenkins go, because Jenkins chose to go because the Packers didn't pay him huge before the market was set. This is a common trend with the Packers. Let the market set the price and then they make their offers. I'm not sure why folks continuously wanna point the finger at Thompson when this strategy has been what we see year in year out, lol. Silly people, c'mon!
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago
I'll explain why, for me:
Because Jenkins was not just a guy. He was an essential part of our pass rush and run D. He was nearly unblockable at the time. Ted should have broken from his tight ass checklist sequence of dealing with FAs about to hit the market, which means no communication, and simply talked to him about it. Make an attempt at getting a deal done. At the very least, let that important player know you want him back, and request a chance to match.

His style of drawing these hard lines and not engaging the player works against him and is off putting. Ted is in charge of this, and this is his system. It is too rigid IMO, and he has a responsibility to make better attempts to retain top talent.

Think Woodson isn't a little pissed about his handling?
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I'll explain why, for me:
Because he was not just a guy. He was an essential part of our pass rush and run D. He was nearly in lockable at the time. Ted should have broken from his tight ass checklist sequence of dealing with FAs about to hit the market, which means no communication, and simply talked to him about it. Make an attempt at getting a deal done. At the very least, let that important player know you want him back, and request a chance to match.

His style of drawing these hard lines and not engaging the player works against him and is off putting.

Think Woodson isn't a little pissed about his handling?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I get that, but reports were out that they was overpricing himself, big time and when the Packers didn't just lay down and pay his demands, he got bent out of shape. When the market started to set, the Packers actually offered more than the Eagles. Then recently Cullen Jenkins says he never wanted to leave the Packers. You fucking kidding me? You took LESS money to leave!

I don't fault Jenkins for being pissed off and going elsewhere. Not at all. I won't fault him and sure as heck won't fault Ted Thompson. They both did the right thing in their beliefs.

Edit, and I do agree with the premise that it would be nice if Thompson took a little risk here and there on a player and overspend. I remember Chris Canty several years ago when Packers just moved to 3 - 4. I was saying, hey over pay a by a million or two for the guy. Get him here.

Overpaying for a RB, not a chance.

Edit2, Charles Woodson is not pissed. He is hurt that he's not a Packer, but he took it like a man. He's not pissed. He got his ring.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

I get that, but reports were out that they was overpricing himself, big time and when the Packers didn't just lay down and pay his demands, he got bent out of shape. When the market started to set, the Packers actually offered more than the Eagles. Then recently Cullen Jenkins says he never wanted to leave the Packers. You fucking kidding me? You took LESS money to leave!

I don't fault Jenkins for being pissed off and going elsewhere. Not at all. I won't fault him and sure as heck won't fault Ted Thompson. They both did the right thing in their beliefs.

Edit, and I do agree with the premise that it would be nice if Thompson took a little risk here and there on a player and overspend. I remember Chris Canty several years ago when Packers just moved to 3 - 4. I was saying, hey over pay a by a million or two for the guy. Get him here.

Overpaying for a RB, not a chance.

Edit2, Charles Woodson is not pissed. He is hurt that he's not a Packer, but he took it like a man. He's not pissed. He got his ring.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

“Heading into last year, I’ve always been up there and always been a Packer, and I wanted to stay a Packer,” Jenkins said, per Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com. “So we approached the team and wanted to get some type of security, some type of longer-term deal before the season so I would know I would be there. It wasn’t about money, it was about security, about trying to see if we could work something out.”

When asked if he would have given the Packers a hometown discount, Jenkins said, “Yeah. That was the thought then. I knew in going to them, I know Green Bay, I know the market, I know how they handle business, and the thought was if we could get something reasonable worked out, I knew I would take less than what I could’ve gotten in free agency. But they never approached me with anything and never got any type of negotiations going. It’s just how the business is. They had a lot of younger guys and felt they could move forward in that direction.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/05/packers-turned-down-hometown-discount-cullen-jenkins-expects-to-go/ 

The point is, GB never responded, at all. No conversation, which is truly Ted's MO, as relayed by other players released. Personally, I find that to be too rigid and detrimental to future possibilities for success. I like and appreciate Ted, but this is clearly one of his faults, one that he should change.
steveishere
11 years ago
Just because Ted doesn't tell YOU what he does with or says to players about their contracts doesn't mean that he does absolutely nothing.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.