You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:13:50 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 1,230
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

ProFootballTalk wrote:
Packers tight end Jermichael Finley said last week that he wouldn't take a pay cut from the Packers, but his agent says that's not quite the truth. Blake Baratz walked back some of what Finley said about not being "the guy who's just going to sign anything and let anything pass.' The Packers haven't approached
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:33:07 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,870
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,405
Applause Received: 1,193

If he wants a longer term deal with GB he will prob have to take less money per year.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:23:00 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,243
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 844
Applause Received: 547

I would think there is little wiggle room for him in GB. Either take a pay cut, or he might be cut.

He is an interesting case. Lots of unrealized potential. That has been the crux. The Packers have been trying to tap that for years now. They might be done, especially at his current pay scale. Do we want him playing against us for a division rival? I think many of us don't want to see that. Maybe Ted can trade him, but finding a taker in that trade could prove difficult. Would it be in our interests to take less in trade for him to insure he didn't go to a division rival or an NFC team? Maybe.

I get the sense his schtick has worn thin with Rodgers, even though Rodgers gave it the college try by meeting with him the night before games the last half of last season. If he is too much work to deal with, and he can't be counted on to run the right routes with precision, block when needed to, make the important drive sustaining catch, why keep him around, as the #6 paid TE in the NFL? His production, from what I've read, ranks him around #22...

He probably wants to go to the Bears, but thankfully, they may not be able to afford him.
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:29:57 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,522
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 472

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I would think there is little wiggle room for him in GB. Either take a pay cut, or he might be cut.

He is an interesting case. Lots of unrealized potential. That has been the crux. The Packers have been trying to tap that for years now. They might be done, especially at his current pay scale. Do we want him playing against us for a division rival? I think many of us don't want to see that. Maybe Ted can trade him, but finding a taker in that trade could prove difficult. Would it be in our interests to take less in trade for him to insure he didn't go to a division rival or an NFC team? Maybe.

I get the sense his schtick has worn thin with Rodgers, even though Rodgers gave it the college try by meeting with him the night before games the last half of last season. If he is too much work to deal with, and he can't be counted on to run the right routes with precision, block when needed to, make the important drive sustaining catch, why keep him around, as the #6 paid TE in the NFL? His production, from what I've read, ranks him around #22...

He probably wants to go to the Bears, but thankfully, they may not be able to afford him.


Why cut him? Dude's only 25, he's still got untapped potential. At least get something for him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:52:41 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,243
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 844
Applause Received: 547

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Why cut him? Dude's only 25, he's still got untapped potential. At least get something for him.


We all like to think he's tradable. Maybe he's not. Who would take on that contract? If you can't get someone to trade with you for him, what are your options? Continue to pay him #6 TE money for #22 TE performance, or cut your losses and go with Quarless, Taylor, Crabtree and Williams. Maybe draft another TE.

Finley has now jumped to #2 on our pay scale behind Rodgers. $8.75M for Finley. Releasing him would save $8.25 on the cap, unlike Hawk, who counts $7.2M, but releasing him would only save $2.25M on our cap because of accelerated signing bonus money.

I think they are planning to cut Finley, and that is why his agent is walking back his statements on not taking a pay cut. They know it.

The Packers either fish or cut bait with Finley this offseason. We'll know soon enough, as FA officially begins 3/12, and he is due a $3.5M roster bonus 15 days after the start of FA (3/27).
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:27:19 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,522
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 472

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
We all like to think he's tradable. Maybe he's not. Who would take on that contract? If you can't get someone to trade with you for him, what are your options? Continue to pay him #6 TE money for #22 TE performance, or cut your losses and go with Quarless, Taylor, Crabtree and Williams. Maybe draft another TE.

Finley has now jumped to #2 on our pay scale behind Rodgers. $8.75M for Finley. Releasing him would save $8.25 on the cap, unlike Hawk, who counts $7.2M, but releasing him would only save $2.25M on our cap because of accelerated signing bonus money.

I think they are planning to cut Finley, and that is why his agent is walking back his statements on not taking a pay cut. They know it.

The Packers either fish or cut bait with Finley this offseason. We'll know soon enough, as FA officially begins 3/12, and he is due a $3.5M roster bonus 15 days after the start of FA (3/27).


I think there are teams who would take on that contract. Like I said, dude is only 25. It all depends on the compensation of course.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Yerko  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:11:53 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,849
Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
We all like to think he's tradable. Maybe he's not. Who would take on that contract? If you can't get someone to trade with you for him, what are your options? Continue to pay him #6 TE money for #22 TE performance, or cut your losses and go with Quarless, Taylor, Crabtree and Williams. Maybe draft another TE.

Finley has now jumped to #2 on our pay scale behind Rodgers. $8.75M for Finley. Releasing him would save $8.25 on the cap, unlike Hawk, who counts $7.2M, but releasing him would only save $2.25M on our cap because of accelerated signing bonus money.

I think they are planning to cut Finley, and that is why his agent is walking back his statements on not taking a pay cut. They know it.

The Packers either fish or cut bait with Finley this offseason. We'll know soon enough, as FA officially begins 3/12, and he is due a $3.5M roster bonus 15 days after the start of FA (3/27).


This offense doesn't succeed without Jennings AND Finley. Jennings is old talk so I won't even touch on it. Finley is untapped potential year after year. He can be a threat, but he isn't. Now he is just getting to be too expensive to just be "that guy" who draws double coverage or opens lanes for other receivers. Personally, I wouldn't care if Finley goes to an NFC North team...if he didn't progress or excel with Rodgers, is he really going to do any better with the other quarterbacks in this conference? Can the other NFC North teams even afford him?

If they do happen to cut Finley the Packers better have a plan to draft a top tight end of sign a free agent. The best free agent would probably be Jared Cook, but like Finley...he hasn't reached his potential. Well, he also doesn't have a quarterback that can pass him a ball. There are good tight ends in this draft. Three can potentially make an instant impact, but I don't know if the Packers can afford to use a high draft pick on a tight end.

Decisions, decisions.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:22:10 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,243
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 844
Applause Received: 547

Yerko, I wouldn't even worry about it. Quarless is good. Williams might advance. Crabtree too. Those three alone should only improve with more opportunities, and Finley post knee injury is not the same guy who stretches the field in any remarkable ways. Of course he's good. Who knows what Ryan Taylor could do? Somehow, I think Rodgers could make a lot of lesser talents look just as good. If some of those guys could block and catch better, be more dependable route runners... hell, why not?

And, yes, we can always draft another. If they ditched Finley and drafted a TE R1, I wouldn't mind, as much as I want them to draft D. If they feel there is one that is that good to warrant the selection, that could be great for our team.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.0 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.160 seconds.