MintBaconDrivel
11 years ago

In the shadow of the last two postseason losses, I’ve seen a number of Green Bay Packers fans itching for Ted Thompson to make some big roster moves. Their basic premise is that star quarterback Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have much time left to get to another Super Bowl. It’s either now or never if the team wants to make another serious run at it.

JerseyAl  wrote:

nerdmann
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Packers_RSS 

There is some urgency, but when a QB pisses a season away statwhoring, I tend not to feel so bad for him.

Favre for instance pissed away more than one Conference Championship.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
11 years ago
nerdmann, your stat whoring premise is not something readily embraced. But, you may have a point.

For years I was pissed at Mike Sherman for not running the ball more. Really pissed. It wasn't until after he was gone that I realized it may have been Favre checking out of run plays to pass instead. That seems more plausible.

Now, is Rodgers falling into the same trap, wanting to throw, checking out of designated run plays for the pass option? It is possible. I just feel the Head Coach has got to have a firm handle on that, and it is McCarthy's task to insure we have a more balanced run/pass attack. At least, I would hope he would see that. This is a huge problem in Green Bay IMO. I feel our offense should establish more of a run oriented approach. Take some of the heat off of Rodgers, and dictate more to a defense, rather than the other way around. We get pass happy and we get predictable. We haven't been running enough to establish the run as a dominant part of our offense. We just haven't, and it shows.

That should come to an end. I hope Mike McCarthy changes that for us in Green Bay, and that Ted lands a punishing back and maybe some better talent on the OL to help make it a reality.

As for raw stat whoring, I would think Rodgers has more character in those situations than Favre. Favre seemed to be all about Favre. Rodgers doesn't seem that way.
Porforis
11 years ago
I'd post our run-pass stats for the 14th time but people just ignore anything that flies in the face of what they've convinced is true so meh.
nerdmann
11 years ago

I'd post our run-pass stats for the 14th time but people just ignore anything that flies in the face of what they've convinced is true so meh.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Is there a stat for holding onto the ball 8+ seconds even when there's guys open underneath?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Porforis
11 years ago

Is there a stat for holding onto the ball 8+ seconds even when there's guys open underneath?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No, but they're working on it. They're going to start tracking it once they start tracking pointless interceptions thrown into triple coverage when there's people open underneath or the ball can be thrown away. Also, people aren't just sitting there underneath as much as you'd like to think.

http://packershome.com/yaf_postsm225271_Truth-in-coverage.aspx#post225271 

Saw that crap for the better part of the season - WRs get disrupted at the point of attack, Rodgers needs to go to his 3rd or 4th read if he's lucky or more likely, has to scramble around to avoid the sack after 2 seconds.

Summary: Rodgers isn't perfect, he oftentimes tries to make things happen when he should just throw the ball away and sometimes he ignores the shallow routes. But considering how much constant bitching I heard all season long about all of our routes being 10 yards deep or deeper, not sure how that meshes with your idea that this was a regular occurrence where he was just standing there in the pocket waiting for someone to get open 40 yards downfield. 2011 and to a lesser extent 2010? Sure, we forced it downfield way too much. 2012? We took a MUCH more balanced approach between running and passing - where we failed earlier on in the season is with a lack of quickly developing routes or quick outs for Rodgers.
play2win
11 years ago

No, but they're working on it. They're going to start tracking it once they start tracking pointless interceptions thrown into triple coverage when there's people open underneath or the ball can be thrown away. Also, people aren't just sitting there underneath as much as you'd like to think.

http://packershome.com/yaf_postsm225271_Truth-in-coverage.aspx#post225271 

Saw that crap for the better part of the season - WRs get disrupted at the point of attack, Rodgers needs to go to his 3rd or 4th read if he's lucky or more likely, has to scramble around to avoid the sack after 2 seconds.

Summary: Rodgers isn't perfect, he oftentimes tries to make things happen when he should just throw the ball away and sometimes he ignores the shallow routes. But considering how much constant bitching I heard all season long about all of our routes being 10 yards deep or deeper, not sure how that meshes with your idea that this was a regular occurrence where he was just standing there in the pocket waiting for someone to get open 40 yards downfield. 2011 and to a lesser extent 2010? Sure, we forced it downfield way too much. 2012? We took a MUCH more balanced approach between running and passing - where we failed earlier on in the season is with a lack of quickly developing routes or quick outs for Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

You are definitely right Porforis. We ran quite a bit more than in 2011. From an attempts standpoint we ranked #16 in 2012 with 433 v. #27 in 2011 with 395. We were only #20 in yds at 1702 in 2012 v. #27 in 2011 with 1503 yds.

We had a lot of stuff going on offensively to deal with. Tons of injuries on OL, WR and at RB. Plus, teams had figured us out, knew how to defend us, forcing adjustments. All in all, our offense did fairly well considering, dropping to #13 in Total Offense in 2013 compared to #3 in 2011. FYI, in 2010 we were #9 overall (#24 rushing/#9 passing).

Our OL play needs to be better, and our RB play needs to improve. Play calling a more run heavy attack would be helpful. So would keeping our WRs, and everybody else healthy.
GBkrzygrl
11 years ago

nerdmann, your stat whoring premise is not something readily embraced. But, you may have a point.

Now, is Rodgers falling into the same trap, wanting to throw, checking out of designated run plays for the pass option? It is possible. I just feel the Head Coach has got to have a firm handle on that, and it is McCarthy's task to insure we have a more balanced run/pass attack. At least, I would hope he would see that. This is a huge problem in Green Bay IMO. I feel our offense should establish more of a run oriented approach. Take some of the heat off of Rodgers, and dictate more to a defense, rather than the other way around. We get pass happy and we get predictable. We haven't been running enough to establish the run as a dominant part of our offense. We just haven't, and it shows.

That should come to an end. I hope Mike McCarthy changes that for us in Green Bay, and that Ted lands a punishing back and maybe some better talent on the OL to help make it a reality.

As for raw stat whoring, I would think Rodgers has more character in those situations than Favre. Favre seemed to be all about Favre. Rodgers doesn't seem that way.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I am beginning to wonder the same thing, especially this year. So far I like what I have read about Aaron. He appears to be as down to earth as anyone making millions of $ can be. But I got very frustrated this season with all the sacks he took. I know some of it was on the OL, but there were so many times I was yelling at the tv, "throw it away". To be honest, I don't think we have had a RB that we could rely on and with all the injuries to the RB's this year, maybe Aaron didn't trust them.... I don't know.

I think I will actually break down and 😢 if Ted Thompson chooses a RB with an injury history again. If Aaron trusts the running game and they can get a balanced attack, maybe we can make back to the SB. Course we also need help on the defensive side of the ball. *sigh*
nerdmann
11 years ago

I am beginning to wonder the same thing, especially this year. So far I like what I have read about Aaron. He appears to be as down to earth as anyone making millions of $ can be. But I got very frustrated this season with all the sacks he took. I know some of it was on the OL, but there were so many times I was yelling at the tv, "throw it away". To be honest, I don't think we have had a RB that we could rely on and with all the injuries to the RB's this year, maybe Aaron didn't trust them.... I don't know.

I think I will actually break down and 😢 if Ted Thompson chooses a RB with an injury history again. If Aaron trusts the running game and they can get a balanced attack, maybe we can make back to the SB. Course we also need help on the defensive side of the ball. *sigh*

Originally Posted by: GBkrzygrl 

Aaron isn't megalomaniacal like Brent, but he's got that thing where he clings to his bitterness over every little sleight he's ever experienced.

Get over it dude. Adhere to fundamentals. The stats will come.
nerdmann
11 years ago

You are definitely right Porforis. We ran quite a bit more than in 2011. From an attempts standpoint we ranked #16 in 2012 with 433 v. #27 in 2011 with 395. We were only #20 in yds at 1702 in 2012 v. #27 in 2011 with 1503 yds.

We had a lot of stuff going on offensively to deal with. Tons of injuries on OL, WR and at RB. Plus, teams had figured us out, knew how to defend us, forcing adjustments. All in all, our offense did fairly well considering, dropping to #13 in Total Offense in 2013 compared to #3 in 2011. FYI, in 2010 we were #9 overall (#24 rushing/#9 passing).

Our OL play needs to be better, and our RB play needs to improve. Play calling a more run heavy attack would be helpful. So would keeping our WRs, and everybody else healthy.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Teams know all they have to do is shut down the deep routes. Aaron will not consistently take the short yardage underneath.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (8h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (8h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (9h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.