macbob
11 years ago
It may be going against trend, but I liked AJ's performance this year. He's a bit lumbering/a bit of a liability in pass coverage and had no turnovers, but was quicker this year and was more of a force behind the line of scrimmage.

That said, I don't think he's worth anywhere near that kind of money and hope he'd be receptive to renegotiating his contract. If he's not willing to take enough of a reduction, then time for a change.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago
AJ Hawk was solid and steady for GB this last season. As a matter of fact, he was a bit quicker. We could see that. He did a decent job of setting the D. I think his shortcomings are in coverage, blitzing the QB, and in getting tackles at the line of scrimmage or behind it. He improved in that last category last year, but I do think his salary requires better production. Many of his tackles were in persuit, after yardage was gained.

More importantly, I don't think he is the type of player opponents have to specifically game plan for. That's not good. Granted, not every player can be that good on your defense. But, at that salary, he should be one of the best players at his position in the NFL. I don't think he ranks I the top 50 LBs. That being the case, it should be addressed. Restructure or release. Keeping him at current salary is severely overpaying.

Bishop may require a restructured deal too. Jones doesn't really appear to be a real answer at ILB, but he showed better than I expected. Smith shouldn't be counted on. I like Moses and Manning seems to have some promise. It will be interesting to see how we improve this group.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

Here is what Hawk has left on is contract:

UserPostedImage

Each of the 1.6m (4.8M) part of his carried signing bonus will have to be accounted for against the cap, I am assuming the article is assuming that they will push that hit out until next season. The roster bonuses that have not paid out will not have to be absorbed.

Packers track record is not to push issues into the future.. so I don't see them, if they cut ties with Hawk to do so and have impact on future years cap number. Especially where they will have larger cap numbers for Rodgers & Matthews and will still be looking to field a competitive team.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Thanks Pack93z, thought that 4.8 mil # sounded right.

The Packers would be foolish to release A.J. Hawk.

Sorry to all you who think Hawk is overpaid, looks like he will be around at least 1 more year.

Haven't heard anything about The Packers actually approaching him and his agent about restructuring, when and if that time comes is the time to judge A.J Hawk.

He has always done anything The Packers have asked, so let's just wait and see what his reaction will be instead of speculating.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DakotaT
11 years ago

Sorry to all you who think Hawk is overpaid, looks like he will be around at least 1 more year.

He has always done anything The Packers have asked, so let's just wait and see what his reaction will be instead of speculating.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Do you understand the concept of fans being disappointed in a player versus fans hating a player?

The Packer's defensive coaches keep asking him to cover TE's down the seams of the field, but he can't get that right, now can he Buckeye?

AJ has leverage this season, but he would be wise to restructure to ensure he stays a Packer for longer than this season.
UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago
I'm all for keeping Hawk on this team. But I would love for someone new to come in along with Jones/Smith/Manning backing up Hawk and Bishop. Right now Jones and Bishop are probably the most gifted athletes along the MLB's. We definitely need speed along those LB's as well. Hawk is probably seeing the way of Donald Driver. No not retiring.. But maybe being demoted and off the team in a years time. Never know though, maybe they're fine with the ILB's they have now.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

Do you understand the concept of fans being disappointed in a player versus fans hating a player?

The Packer's defensive coaches keep asking him to cover TE's down the seams of the field, but he can't get that right, now can he Buckeye?

AJ has leverage this season, but he would be wise to restructure to ensure he stays a Packer for longer than this season.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Where has it been written the coaches keep asking him to cover TE's down the seam?
Are you now in the player/coaches meetings?

Hell take a look back at last year, Hawk wasn't on the field that much on passing downs.

There was a whole article written how The coaching staff did not want to burn out players, hoping to give EVERY player a break, the problem that has occured the last 3 years at the LB position is that A.J Hawk seems to be the only one who can stay healthy.

A.J Hawk could have been rated the best lb in the NFL over his career and you would find something to "BE DISSAPOINTED" about.

Just because he was a 1st rnd pick.

Stop with your bullshit "spins" and just admit no matter how he plays, he will never live up to your "expectations".

I say it every year, I hope one of these young guys "full of potential" will unseat A.J. Hawk, then he can leave Green Bay and go play elsewhere.

Bottom line, the article posted in this thread is just all "skeptisism", until Ted actually meets with Hawk and his agent, nobody knows what they will decide.

2012 A.J, Hawk was paid 6.54 mil, played every game
2012 D. Bissop was paid 4.25 mil, played 5 ...6 games?

Which player earned their contract min 2012????

Why are you not all over Bishop for being overpaid????
Why are you not all over bishop for not "playing up to his potential?"
DakotaT
11 years ago

Stop with your bullshit "spins" and just admit no matter how he plays, he will never live up to your "expectations".

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yet you're positive you know what everybody thinks with regards to Hawk. 🙄 Take off your The Ohio State goggles off and get reasonable. I root for Hawk, hell I have a Hawk jersey - but when he's getting torched in coverage I get a little upset because I know what he's getting paid.

If you can't follow rationale, then I guess we don't have anything else to talk about concerning AJ. Just don't insult other Packer fans on the issue because your little feelings get hurt when he's criticized.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I get a little upset because I know what he's getting paid.

That is the problem with players having their salaries public knowledge. It removes all bias. I'd prefer to be ignorant of the salaries, meaning no matter how hard one were to look, it wouldn't be discovered.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

Yet you're positive you know what everybody thinks with regards to Hawk. 🙄 Take off your The Ohio State goggles off and get reasonable. I root for Hawk, hell I have a Hawk jersey - but when he's getting torched in coverage I get a little upset because I know what he's getting paid.

If you can't follow rationale, then I guess we don't have anything else to talk about concerning AJ. Just don't insult other Packer fans on the issue because your little feelings get hurt when he's criticized.

What you don't understand is this, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHERE ANY PACKER PLAYER WENT TO COLLEGE!!!!!

I root for ANYONE who is on the field, I don't have my favorites, or guys who don't "live up to my expectations"

When are you going to figure it out?

Nobody is perfect, EVERYBODY gets beat now and then, doesn't matter how much they get paid.

You ARE NOT THE GM, you don't determine the worth of a player.
you ARE NOT THE HC,you don't determine how much playing time a player gets.

How many times in the past 3 years has A.J. Hawk been as you say "torched" over the middle?

I am betting less than 5, yet EVERY one of those plays ended up with a new thread being created on this forum, and you NEVER let a chance go by to let it be known how you feel.

I'm sorry you get bothered by how much any player gets paid, that's Ted Thompsons job.

Which playere earned their contract last year????

Hawk or Bishop????
DakotaT
11 years ago

That is the problem with players having their salaries public knowledge. It removes all bias. I'd prefer to be ignorant of the salaries, meaning no matter how hard one were to look, it wouldn't be discovered.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That's cause you're not an owner like Gunny and me. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.