PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
Yes, we have a young team and Rodgers has plenty of years of playing left. But if we don't get back to the SB, this year or possibly next. It is going to get extremely difficult. The reason, being is money. Once Matthews, Raji, and more important Rodgers, we are going to have so much less room under the cap for the rest of the roster. Look at Rodgers and Brees, 17+million cap number for Brees, <10million for Rodgers. 7 million dollars difference, That is easily money to retain or upgrade 3 or 4 other positions.

Rodgers has been heard saying, how much is enough. The big question is, what will he say when it is payday. How much pressure will the NFLPA put on him to max out for the next guy.

That is why, I think Ted needs to go all-in for a year or even 2. It can be done, without destroying the future. It would be hard to find 6 or 7 roster spots for rookies. We could afford to move up this year and come away with 3 or 4 higher quality picks. We could afford to spend short term. Talk with Jennings and pay a little more than Packers normally, and a little less than he would want, in order to shoot for a title. Maybe go after Jenks or another FA that fills a need along either or both lines.

We are in position, to do some of those things and come out the other side, still with youth and depth. In a couple years, those options are going to be much harder to attempt.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
11 years ago
The salary cap will start expanding again after 2015 or something like that.

The players union took all the salary cap expansion for the next few years up front to make it seem like they had a better deal than they did.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

The players union took all the salary cap expansion for the next few years up front to make it seem like they had a better deal than they did.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Doesn't really matter what the cap is. It is more about how much of it is tied up in few players. We have had success recently because we were not paying the high end contracts that we are going to have shortly. When they are done, we won't be able to afford the quality depth we have had the benefit of having.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Rockmolder
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

They made it so it'd go up more evenly throughout the years, from what I read (can't remember the source). If they hadn't done that, the cap would've actually gone down in 2012, before jumping up millions in 2015.

Anyway, I don't think we should go all-out on player spending right now, especially not on a just decent talent like Jennings, but I would like to trade up quite a bit and get some impact players in the draft. It's the affordable way of being aggressive, yet, not as expensive as signing big FAs.

We have amazing depth and we should retain that, while not stocking up on even more 6th, 7th round projects. At least, not for a year. Of course, you'll have to go back to your old strategy sooner or later or you'll be depleted of depth in a year or three, but for one year, just trade up and finish the draft with a pick or 5.

Anyway, that said, I don't think we're in as much trouble as you think we are. Even if you have a lot of money tied up in your QB position, you're still contending. Look at the Broncos, the Patriots, the Steelers... Of course you have to work around that contract at times, but it's very much possible. Even if you have to let a big name guy go from time to time.

For example, we could open up some cap space right now by letting Bishop and/or Hawk go and having Jones and Williams start... A blow to our defense, yes, but one that you can play around and doesn't hit us that hard, because of the depth we have.

Of course, I do agree with you that it'll become rather hard when 3 of your players count for 40 million dollars against the cap. I'm still hoping that Rodgers will feel a bit generous when his contract comes up and that that thinking gets to the other guys, as well, but let's be real here... These guys like to get paid and they don't owe the Packers anything, really.

I don't think the window is closing, I just think that the Pack have to play it even smarter.
steveishere
11 years ago
The Window is not closing. Though I do agree the team is solid enough right now that trading up for better players wouldn't hurt. The thing with that is you can't do it just to do it the right player has to be there to trade up for. I don't see Jennings taking "a little less" to come back to GB though, to me he sounds perfectly fine with playing to any other team. He is likely going to whoever gives him the most money, period.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
The window has closed already. Missing out on 2011 and 2012, that was the window for this regime. I think Mike McCarthy needs a fresh start somewhere else. The team is no longer respecting him, starting with his QB.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

The window has closed already. Missing out on 2011 and 2012, that was the window for this regime. I think Mike McCarthy needs a fresh start somewhere else. The team is no longer respecting him, starting with his QB.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't think McCarthy has lost his team. I think he just needs to adjust a bit - play down the pass and play up the run. Play a tougher game. That starts up front offensively with your line. we were manhadled against top pass rushing lines because we were too often in pass blocking sets - highly predictable.

I also believe our losses to injury have really hurt us more than anything. That, and our depth defensively up front killed us. We had no legit starting DE. Save Perry, we had no one opposite Matthews, and Perry was just learning the position and was lost early. Losing Collins, Jenkins and Bishop killed us, and we've yet to find quality replacements.

Give Capers the players he needs for his D to be effective, along with a more punishing offense, and I like our chances. A big back and some OL adjustments would certainly help.
Porforis
11 years ago

Yes, we have a young team and Rodgers has plenty of years of playing left. But if we don't get back to the SB, this year or possibly next. It is going to get extremely difficult. The reason, being is money. Once Matthews, Raji, and more important Rodgers, we are going to have so much less room under the cap for the rest of the roster. Look at Rodgers and Brees, 17+million cap number for Brees, <10million for Rodgers. 7 million dollars difference, That is easily money to retain or upgrade 3 or 4 other positions.

Rodgers has been heard saying, how much is enough. The big question is, what will he say when it is payday. How much pressure will the NFLPA put on him to max out for the next guy.

That is why, I think Ted needs to go all-in for a year or even 2. It can be done, without destroying the future. It would be hard to find 6 or 7 roster spots for rookies. We could afford to move up this year and come away with 3 or 4 higher quality picks. We could afford to spend short term. Talk with Jennings and pay a little more than Packers normally, and a little less than he would want, in order to shoot for a title. Maybe go after Jenks or another FA that fills a need along either or both lines.

We are in position, to do some of those things and come out the other side, still with youth and depth. In a couple years, those options are going to be much harder to attempt.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

While I would certainly like to see more willingness to make mid-season free agent purchases (and not just when we don't have enough bodies left to fill roster spots), we've gotten a number of starting-quality players out of the last draft and I have no doubt that we will see at least one, probably two players out of this coming draft in a starting role and at least two more in a backup role right off the bat. If Ted weren't such a draft genius, he'd deserve to be run out of town on a rail - but that's the cornerstone of his team building philosophy.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I don't think McCarthy has lost his team. I think he just needs to adjust a bit - play down the pass and play up the run. Play a tougher game. That starts up front offensively with your line. we were manhadled against top pass rushing lines because we were too often in pass blocking sets - highly predictable.

I also believe our losses to injury have really hurt us more than anything. That, and our depth defensively up front killed us. We had no legit starting DE. Save Perry, we had no one opposite Matthews, and Perry was just learning the position and was lost early. Losing Collins, Jenkins and Bishop killed us, and we've yet to find quality replacements.

Give Capers the players he needs for his D to be effective, along with a more punishing offense, and I like our chances. A big back and some OL adjustments would certainly help.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

You may want to check with Kevin, I think he was being a little facetious with his comment.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I agree the window is closing, but not very much at this point. Rodgers should have another five or so good years and I think that is a key. If he keeps getting sacked around 50 times a years like last year it could slam shut any time. If they surround him with good players where he is protected and get results it could stay open longer. TT's solid drafts can keep us contenders but a couple of pro bowl type draftees or free agents could put us over the hump. Granted, that's much easier said than done at our position draft wise and cap wise.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.