earthquake
11 years ago
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the new CBA put in some extra rules to prevent/discourage the tag and trade thing? Like, once a player is tagged and traded they can not negotiate a new contract until the next season, or something else to that effect. I can't remember where I read that or if its accurate, but that would seem to make a tag+trade scenario much less likely.

All things considered, I don't think a $10m/1 year rental of Greg Jennings is all that risky. He's one of the better receivers in the league when healthy, and its a one year deal, the cap repercussions are quite small. So even if the intent is to tag and trade him, its not really a big deal if a trade doesn't happen, unlike say last year with Flynn, where they would have been stuck paying $15m(or whatever the amount was) to a backup QB.

Would Jennings be happy about it? I doubt it, nobody is ever happy that they are getting tagged. I don't think he we would turn into a malcontent though.
blank
Yerko
11 years ago
As a fan, I had enabled myself to move on from losing a guy like Jennings. I didn't like seeing this rumor/news. Packers can do so much more by not tagging him. I am not saying drafting a wide receiver will fill the hole Jennings leaves, but the Packers won plenty of games without him in the line up. They already have the tools to have a successful passing game (minus a great offensive line).

I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd round WR draft pick over tagging Jennings. His ship has sailed.

Addition to my initial thoughts. If that is a real quote from Philbin, I REALLY don't want the Packers to resign him. The Dolphins are a team that actually needs a wide receiver and the HC is saying "no" to a top 10 free agent receiver...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

As a fan, I had enabled myself to move on from losing a guy like Jennings. I didn't like seeing this rumor/news. Packers can do so much more by not tagging him. I am not saying drafting a wide receiver will fill the hole Jennings leaves, but the Packers won plenty of games without him in the line up. They already have the tools to have a successful passing game (minus a great offensive line).

I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd round WR draft pick over tagging Jennings. His ship has sailed.

Addition to my initial thoughts. If that is a real quote from Philbin, I REALLY don't want the Packers to resign him. The Dolphins are a team that actually needs a wide receiver and the HC is saying "no" to a top 10 free agent receiver...

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I am not arguing you, merely inquiring, ... how do you see Greg Jennings ship has sailed, and what ship exactly?

UserPostedImage
dhazer
11 years ago
From what I have been reading is that Miami is after Mike Wallace and then Wes Welker than Jennings, I don't see anyone forking out the big bucks for Jennings right now. He has been injury prone and getting up there in age and the main thing is he is not a game changer. The defense doesn't have to scheme around him ala Megatron, Fitz or even Roddy White or Jones. I hope they let him walk and watch his disappointment when he has to sign with some bad team for a low price.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Yerko
11 years ago

I am not arguing you, merely inquiring, ... how do you see Greg Jennings ship has sailed, and what ship exactly?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Like our previous convo in the other Jennings franchise tag thread, Jennings does not want to be a Packer with the franchise tag...not that he has a choice, but he was very clear on his feelings with that. I think by not extending him a contract during last season (don't blame them), the ship has sailed on the relationship between Jennings and the Packers.

He is ready to move on and the Packers should be more than ready to move on. Maybe I have talked myself too much into believing the Packers will be more than okay without Jennings, but when I saw his asking price on the market I don't think I did. I think tagging Jennings dampers the Packers ability to do other things with this team.

The only way I would agree with Jennings being tagged is if the Packers had a trade ready. As crappy as that is, its a business. Its a deal that as a Packers fan, I'd like because the return should be something nice. It also ensures Jennings will not be in the NFC North.

I think Jennings can play and I also think a team is going to offer close to his asking price. My first thought was the Dolphins but with McGinn's recent comments on how Philbin feels about Jennings, that was a bit shot down.

Sorry, kinda went on after answering your main question.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
I think the Packers are better off letting Jennings hit the market and if the money is right, resign him at that point. I just happen to think the tag is too large of a commitment to Jennings if he signs it and plays only the one year. Think Jones a couple of seasons ago.

Not to mention.. Greg doesn't want the tag and that could make the situation relatively toxic..

One thing Jennings would not be excited about : The possibility of Packers putting the franchise tag on him – which is an option, given his injury-plagued season, and the relatively manageable cost of roughly $10 million.

Asked if the tag was a slap in the face, Jennings replied, “Yes. Nothing good about it. You don’t see (New England wide receiver) Wes Welker smiling about it.

“You want your job to have some sense of sustainability, some foundation where you can just sit your family and know you’ll be somewhere for a certain amount of time. Well, franchise tags give you one year. So it’s like, ‘OK, we’ve got one year.’ Who knows? I’ll be in the same position talking about contract situation all over again. it’s just not clear. It’s not in the best interest of the player to be in that position.”

I just don't see the Packers in a position where they have to tag Jennings.. to me, it just isn't a sound decision in terms of value vs performance.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago

“You want your job to have some sense of sustainability, some foundation where you can just sit your family and know you’ll be somewhere for a certain amount of time. Well, franchise tags give you one year. So it’s like, ‘OK, we’ve got one year.’ Who knows? I’ll be in the same position talking about contract situation all over again. it’s just not clear. It’s not in the best interest of the player to be in that position.”

Greg Jennings wrote:

If your family is what matters above all else, why not retire with the colossal amount of money you already have while you still have your health? Settle down wherever you want, work part time for the rest of your life to keep yourself busy.

I know, I know, it's a legitimate factor from a player's perspective. I just hate hearing them pull the "well, my family..." card when it's really about your job and passion, not your family.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

If your family is what matters above all else, why not retire with the colossal amount of money you already have while you still have your health? Settle down wherever you want, work part time for the rest of your life to keep yourself busy.

I know, I know, it's a legitimate factor from a player's perspective. I just hate hearing them pull the "well, my family..." card when it's really about your job and passion, not your family.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I know a place he can work part time and make sandwiches with a Rams RB. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

I just don't see the Packers in a position where they have to tag Jennings..

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Yeah, they are not in that position. I would love to have him back, playing for GB, but not at any price.

Let's put it this way. I'd rather take that money and sign both Chris Canty and Cullen Jenkins. That would make our team much better overall.
Porforis
11 years ago

I know a place he can work part time and make sandwiches with a Rams RB. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Or if he likes Wisconsin, I'm sure he can find countless businesses that'd hire him more based on who he is rather than his skills. Wasn't there another Ram rookie that was a used car salesman for a while? If I had two people offer me the same deal on equivalent cars and one of them was Greg Jennings, guess who I'd buy from?
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (1h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (1h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (12h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (12h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.