You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:16:48 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

ProFootballTalk wrote:
Cutting defensive back Charles Woodson fits perfectly with the Packers’ approach to the business of football. Using the franchise tag on receiver Greg Jennings doesn’t.

But that’s what the Packers are considering doing, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. And that would cost the Packers more than $10 million in real dollars and cap dollars for 2013.

With Jennings turning 30 later this year and missing half of the 2012 regular season, spending that much money doesn’t make much sense, given the way the Packers do business.

Moreover, the Packers have three receivers under contract who, according to one of them, each can generate more than 1,000 yards receiving in 2013.

So we’ll believe that G.M. Ted Thompson will plunk down $10.36 million for an aging luxury when he does it. Until then, it just doesn’t fit with how the Packers do things.

Even if they do it, it still doesn’t fit.

Ian Rapoport wrote:
Interesting to hear the #Packers are still considering franchising Greg Jennings. Thought that ship had sailed. Apparently not.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline play2win  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:54:44 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 855
Applause Received: 552

Yeah, there is a lot of buzz about this right now. Zero2Cool, you called it. I'm still a bit skeptical, because it is a lot of cash. However, could be a one year deal for his services, which could make some sense.

My concern is why tag a player who looks to want out? But, this is all business.
Offline RajiRoar  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:06:02 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 36
Applause Received: 189

I could see this only if a trade partner had come to Ted Thompson at the combine,

But that seems to be a little too shady for Ted.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 2/24/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:55:15 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar Go to Quoted Post
I could see this only if a trade partner had come to Ted Thompson at the combine,

But that seems to be a little too shady for Ted.

Corey Williams.

UserPostedImage
Offline doddpower  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:08:30 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Yeah, I'm not really buying this either, but what do I know. If Ted was somehow able to work out a tag and trade, that would be awesome, though. It just seems like a long-shot. Jennings has made it clear he doesn't want to be tagged.

EDIT: This doesn't really seem like information the Packers would let leak either, although I suppose in the trade scenario it could have been the other team.
Offline dfosterf  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:13:44 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 337

Keep things honest, straightforward, etc. No system manipulation, and no hosing players other than the business-is-business aspect.

Greg Jennings deserves whatever payday his career has earned him, coupled with the needs of other teams.

I think I would prefer (as a fan) to just let 'em go vs. franchise tags, etc. especially with Ted running our show-- Frankly, imo, that is one of his strengths.

I like Jennings a lot, but some shit has to give, $$$- wise, so we gotta get over it, imo

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:14:39 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

I think Philbin may want Jennings in Miami, and by giving up a 2nd or 3rd in a tag-n-trade situation - he assures he gets Greg without having to outbid the other teams.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:38:24 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I'm not really buying this either, but what do I know. If Ted was somehow able to work out a tag and trade, that would be awesome, though. It just seems like a long-shot. Jennings has made it clear he doesn't want to be tagged.

EDIT: This doesn't really seem like information the Packers would let leak either, although I suppose in the trade scenario it could have been the other team.

I can only see how this happens if the Packers and his agent were discussing a contract and the possibility of being tagged came up, then the agent runs to a "source" saying "Packers are considering trading Jennings". Even if they didn't have such discussion, it benefits the client of the agent to make this tidbit known. It makes his client seem desired.

UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:49:01 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 102
Applause Received: 66

The only reason I can see a tag-and-trade is if Jennings is coming to understand he is not going to break the bank like he thinks he will.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:52:14 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Mike McCarthy wrote:
As far as coaching him, I’ve always enjoyed coaching him. He’s a damn good football player, he’s a great fit for what we do. He’s in this position for a reason on both sides of it, that’s why you take the time and these things work out.

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:00:14 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 124
Applause Received: 115

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I think Philbin may want Jennings in Miami, and by giving up a 2nd or 3rd in a tag-n-trade situation - he assures he gets Greg without having to outbid the other teams.

I like the sound of it...I'm guessing this doesn't happen, but it'd sure be nice to get something in return.
Online wpr  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:23:19 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,418
Applause Received: 1,204

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

won't happen. They could pay a Greg a couple of million more per year than another team to get him and keep the draft pick.

If I was GB I would do the deal. If I was Miami here is really nothing to gain. They need more than one player to make that team a contender.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:30:29 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
won't happen. They could pay a Greg a couple of million more per year than another team to get him and keep the draft pick.

If I was GB I would do the deal. If I was Miami here is really nothing to gain. They need more than one player to make that team a contender.

Miami has to ask themselves, will we be a contender before Greg Jennings prime is exhausted and before he's no better than a number 3 WR? I would have to think they'd answer, yes they will be a contender. Greg Jennings has probably three or four more really good years in him. Their QB could really start to light it up in year two (I do not think this) and propel them into the playoffs and we all know ... anything can happen.

If you can get a Greg Jennings on a team that has zero threat at WR for a 2 and 3, by gosh, you do it. Even better for the trading team if the picks can be spread between two seasons. 2nd round 2013, 3rd round 2014.

Jennings is a really good WR. He gets crazy separation from defenders. Watch him during games even when he doesn't get the ball. The guy gets open. In fact, Aaron Rodgers even said that Jennings is open a lot and he needed to look his way more.

I'm not saying Jennings is one of the best in the game. I'm saying he gets good separation and is good at catching the ball and good after the catch. That is ideal for a young QB to have.

UserPostedImage
Offline El3ment12  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:47:42 AM(UTC)
El3ment12

Applause Given: 23
Applause Received: 22

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

The dolphins are kinda screwed out of being a contender. They have to beat out Tom Brady to win the division.(not happenin)Also, if you compare Tannehill to all the great rookie qbs, he is pretty bad.
Online wpr  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 7:05:50 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,418
Applause Received: 1,204

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Miami has to ask themselves, will we be a contender before Greg Jennings prime is exhausted and before he's no better than a number 3 WR? I would have to think they'd answer, yes they will be a contender. Greg Jennings has probably three or four more really good years in him. Their QB could really start to light it up in year two (I do not think this) and propel them into the playoffs and we all know ... anything can happen.

If you can get a Greg Jennings on a team that has zero threat at WR for a 2 and 3, by gosh, you do it. Even better for the trading team if the picks can be spread between two seasons. 2nd round 2013, 3rd round 2014.

Jennings is a really good WR. He gets crazy separation from defenders. Watch him during games even when he doesn't get the ball. The guy gets open. In fact, Aaron Rodgers even said that Jennings is open a lot and he needed to look his way more.

I'm not saying Jennings is one of the best in the game. I'm saying he gets good separation and is good at catching the ball and good after the catch. That is ideal for a young QB to have.

Greg can be all world unanimous first ballot HOF. Miami will not make a trade.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage