play2win
11 years ago

I like the Barrett Jones pick. I don't know how anyone can say they don't know about the kid when he played excellent at Tackle as a sophmore. Playing ANY OL position in the SEC as a 2nd year players is saying something let alone Tackle.

I don't know how you can complain about the OLine and then say something like D-Smith did OK at Center. Newhouse did OK, Barclay filled in OK, and all that added up to "not so good".

Look at the competition along the OL with this pick.
You have Newhouse/Sherrod on the left, Bulaga/Barclay on the right, Lang, D-Smith, Sitton, and Jones in the middle.

The only two "for sures" would be Sitton and Bulaga. I wouldn't doubt Jones couldn't beat out Lang if he doesn't get his head out.

They can't replace the whole OL but you can get a better OL by pushing the players and the return of Sherrod and Bulaga and adding Jones would certainly make for an interesting spring.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

I'm sure Rodgers would freaking love it...
doddpower
11 years ago
For what it's worth (not much), Mike Mayock has Barrett Jones rated as his third best center currently.

I don't think anyone is saying the packers wouldn't like to have Jones. I'm just not convinced he would be the most talented player available with the highest ceiling, which is what I would like to see. "Safe" picks just concern me sometimes. I'm hoping for the best player available with the first round pick. Perhaps that's Jones but it very well might not be. Either way, I imagine there could be worse picks, but such was the case with AJ Hawk, too.
JustJeff
11 years ago
Random comments in reply to several posts.

Barrett Jones... I've warmed to him. Academic All American as well as All American. As the Walter excerpt points out, he's very technically sound. He's versatile. He could get you through a game at Tackle, but let's not kid ourselves, TJ Lang could get you through a game at Tackle. That doesn't mean that you consider it anything other than an emergency option.

I think Jones would do fine at Center, but I believe his best pro position is guard. My concern at either slot is the lack of upside. Jones could start tomorrow. I think he would be rock-solid for ten years at center or guard. I think what you would get for that is an AJ Hawk-like player... a solid starter whom you like, but you've seen all he's got very early. There's nothing wrong with that, but...

Montee Ball, some think he'll produce on Sundays, some don't. I think he will. I don't think he'll be a stud, but very good value where he's likely to be selected. My concern about Ball isn't whether his game translates to the next level, but the tread. He's had a LOT of carries already. I always view runners as having a certain number of carries in them, Ball has used a lot them already.
UserPostedImage 
porky88
11 years ago

I am not an expert but a 6-5 isn't that taller than the typical C in the NFL? After a quick check of the Free agents it looks like most C are around 6'3". only 2 where taller. I have no idea if that is even an issue. Kind of like when "experts" say a guys arms a re too short. What is inside the man matters more than some of these measurements.
I know he is able to play most or all of the positions on the line but if he is the C, I don't really want him moving over to G or T during a game. I want the C and 🇦🇷 to have a rhythm as they exchange the ball 50-60 times or so a game.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Neither is Walter. Just look up his analysis of Jimmy Clausen. His creditability is still rebounding.

The knock on Jones is he's not exceptionally amazing at any one position. He's just good across the board. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think he'll be an all-pro caliber center. He's assignment sound, agile enough to get to the next level, and I think he plays nasty. Do you finish? This guy does. Dodd keeps mentioning 290 as his playing weight, which is a valid concern, but at 6-5, he could easily support 300-plus pounds.

His detractors like to say he's a product of Alabama's system. That Warmack made him better. I actually think it's the other way around. I think Warmack benefited from playing next to Jones this season. Some of Jones’ best tape came against LSU and Georgia. Those are two teams with first round talent on their front seven. I thought Jones and Warmack pushed Jonathan Jenkins around quite a bit. I don’t think Jones struggles with nose guards in the NFL. He’ll struggle with quickness. Nonetheless, I'm usually not this sold on any one player, but I feel very strongly (obviously) about Jones.
nerdmann
11 years ago

Neither is Walter. Just look up his analysis of Jimmy Clausen. His creditability is still rebounding.

The knock on Jones is he's not exceptionally amazing at any one position. He's just good across the board. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think he'll be an all-pro caliber center. He's assignment sound, agile enough to get to the next level, and I think he plays nasty. Do you finish? This guy does. Dodd keeps mentioning 290 as his playing weight, which is a valid concern, but at 6-5, he could easily support 300-plus pounds.

His detractors like to say he's a product of Alabama's system. That Warmack made him better. I actually think it's the other way around. I think Warmack benefited from playing next to Jones this season. Some of Jones’ best tape came against LSU and Georgia. Those are two teams with first round talent on their front seven. I thought Jones and Warmack pushed Jonathan Jenkins around quite a bit. I don’t think Jones struggles with nose guards in the NFL. He’ll struggle with quickness. Nonetheless, I'm usually not this sold on any one player, but I feel very strongly (obviously) about Jones.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Talking about a system, then talk about putting Jones between Sitton and Lang. Might help him out a bit. Especially with Bulaga and Sherrod on the outside.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
warhawk
11 years ago

Random comments in reply to several posts.

Barrett Jones... I've warmed to him. Academic All American as well as All American. As the Walter excerpt points out, he's very technically sound. He's versatile. He could get you through a game at Tackle, but let's not kid ourselves, TJ Lang could get you through a game at Tackle. That doesn't mean that you consider it anything other than an emergency option.

I think Jones would do fine at Center, but I believe his best pro position is guard. My concern at either slot is the lack of upside. Jones could start tomorrow. I think he would be rock-solid for ten years at center or guard. I think what you would get for that is an AJ Hawk-like player... a solid starter whom you like, but you've seen all he's got very early. There's nothing wrong with that, but...

Montee Ball, some think he'll produce on Sundays, some don't. I think he will. I don't think he'll be a stud, but very good value where he's likely to be selected. My concern about Ball isn't whether his game translates to the next level, but the tread. He's had a LOT of carries already. I always view runners as having a certain number of carries in them, Ball has used a lot them already.

Originally Posted by: JustJeff 

The difference between Jones and Hawk is like 21 picks. Sure you expect impact picking in the top 10 but we're not. I'm not sure we could ask more than a steady 10 year performer....dead in front of our All-Everything QB. I don't know where people get that the guy is just steady and not more. He's a two time All-American and Remington Award winner. Plus, he's like a Rhodes Scholar. I mean he's supposed to be brilliant.

However, following your thinking then they SHOULD pick Keenan Allen if he's around. He's projected as a top 10 to 15 guy on a lot of boards. Higher than all the other possibilities being thrown around in this thread.

Wouldn't be my favorite pick but over a period of time he may produce a ton with who he's got throwing to him.

But it's highly unlikely unless we just luck up that there is a "big" guy on the OL or DL by the time we come around that becomes a huge impact. Not one projected to anyways.

"The train is leaving the station."
play2win
11 years ago

I will say it again.. especially after watching him for years on Saturday's.. if the Packers have a chance at Ball in the late second or third.. they are going to regret passing him up. Custom made back for this offense.. one cut runner, can catch out of the backfield and has enough power at 215 to give us the tough yardage.

I wasn't sold on Dayne, Moss, Davis or Clay coming out of Wisconsin.. but this kid is a different breed of Wisconsin backs.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I would have no problem with the Packers adding Montee Ball at RB. That would be great.
Fan Shout
dhazer (27m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.