Zero2Cool
11 years ago

GREEN BAY – As Mike McCarthy set about the lengthy, unpleasant process last week of assessing what went wrong – and, to be fair, the many things that went right, too – during a 2012 season that ultimately ended in disappointment, the Green Bay Packers head coach did so firmly believing that his guys weren't that far removed from another NFL championship, like the one they won just two years ago in Super Bowl XLV.

“I don’t think you just take one segment of one game and determine how close you are to the championship,” McCarthy said, referring to the epic defensive failure in the team’s season-ending 45-31 loss to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Divisional Playoffs. “Our goal going into the season – looking back on it, part of the conversations I had with the coaching staff and then later with the personnel department – (was) to get this team to improve during the course of the year. I feel like we did that in some aspects, because you want to play your best football at the end of the year.

“San Francisco was the better team (that) night. We did not play our best football in that game, and that’s something I obviously as the head coach have to take a very, very close look at, because I thought we were ready mentally. There’s definitely some things we did not handle schematically, and no one will be tougher on that than ourselves.”

The process began with his players’ exit interviews, then continued with extensive one-on-one meetings with his three coordinators – defensive coordinator Dom Capers, offensive coordinator Tom Clements and special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
As with every year, we've got holes to plug in our roster in the offseason and some decisions to make on who to keep and who to let loose. The big question on my mind is if we're capable of adjusting on defense (and to a lesser extent on offense) mid-game when what we're doing isn't working. Unless our offense or defense is unstoppable, you need to be able to adjust in order to win big games against big-time opponents.
dfosterf
11 years ago
No way we get great in the immediate future.

It would take too much of a risk for a small-market team.

We always have a chance with Rodgers, but Ted isn't all that when trying to actually assemble a contender for the SB, and we need to face it. He is more about the business than the shot at the SB. That is what we have in a GM. We are ultimately being "played."

This is about maintaining the Pack as a viable force in the NFL to ensure the fan interest. There will be no guts coming from this organization, as that would entail risk, as regards personnel.

We will remain "high- mediocre" , with a chance...
yooperfan
11 years ago

We always have a chance with Rodgers, but Ted isn't all that when trying to actually assemble a contender for the SB, and we need to face it. He is more about the business than the shot at the SB. That is what we have in a GM. We are ultimately being "played."

This is about maintaining the Pack as a viable force in the NFL to ensure the fan interest. There will be no guts coming from this organization, as that would entail risk, as regards personnel.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Hmmm, I was saying the same thing the year before the Packers won the Super Bowl.
Now it's coming back into focus again.

doddpower
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

What "risks" did either the 49'er's or Ravens take to make them "great" this season? All I see is two teams who have drafted well and have disciplined coaching. Of course the 49'er's benefit from years of high draft picks, but still. Both teams have mostly stuck to the principle of drafting and developing. I'm not sure I follow your logic here at all. The main difference this past season was coaching and injuries. It's really that simple, imo. If the Packers can get better coaching and stay somewhat healthy, they have as good of chance as any other team of winning the Super Bowl. I really think some are over reacting to some things currently going on; at least beyond the coaching failures.
TheKanataThrilla
11 years ago
Our O-line was mediocore and our tackling on Defence is huge source of frustration. Depending on how the draft works out I would like to see us focus the draft on DL, OL (interior), C and WR taking BPA when it makes sense to of course. We probably need a TE as well if Finley is cut. Just don't know if we can afford to lose Jennings and Finley in the same off-season.
Dulak
11 years ago
I play those lame interm refs and the bad call in that seattle game - if we won that game; SF plays in our house and we win. Enough said

TheKanataThrilla
11 years ago

I play those lame interm refs and the bad call in that seattle game - if we won that game; SF plays in our house and we win. Enough said

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

If we play Woodson the last game we beat Minny and we get San Fran at home. I think we underestimated playing a desperate team trying to get in the playoffs.

JamesPack
11 years ago
I felt that playing at Candlestick Park helped us offensively. As with the 2010 run, we play better when conditions aren't a factor. No matter where we played the 49ers, our defense just didn't match up to their offensive package. Rodgers has the talent to mask the O-line problems, but we have nobody on defense that can overcompensate our lack of pressure. Woodson just isn't that guy anymore. Another defense-minded draft with the odd offensive lineman is the clear route going forward.
Packer in Wales
DakotaT
11 years ago
I don't know if there are any decent 3-4 OLB's in free agency this year, but if there are, I wouldn't mind terribly if we picked one up to solidify that side. I like Perry and Moses, but it is time for Ted Thompson to own up to his continual fuckup of not having the bookend to Matthews. At inside linebacker, I'm hoping the Manning kid pushes for playing time and am keeping my fingers crossed that Bishop and Smith return to at least 90% from their injuries. Another draft pick in there can't hurt. The 3-4 is a linebacker defense, and if you're deficient at linebacker, how on earth will the defense ever be the strong part of your team?

The O-line is a mess, and if Sherrod ends up being a bust, then a free agent is probably necessary there too. Newhouse is serviceable, but replacing him with a better player coincides with Rodgers' longevity.

The draft and develop thing is awesome to keep a good football team on the field. But when you're close to contending, free agency is sometimes necessary too. No need to go Snyder/Jones crazy - but adding a legitimate starter to a contender makes sense instead of rolling the dice with a rookie.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (4h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (16h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (16h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (21h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.