Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline flep  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:15:25 PM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Kevin and Shawn,
I'm pretty sure Nick's departure has nothing to do with anything either of you said or didn't say, did or didn't do.

What was it he said in one post, "I'm living on borrowed time"? I'm not one of the ones he has shared any of the details with, but that sounded like a man getting ready for a death that is coming sooner rather than later. And that means he has a lot of goodbyes to say. He's simply decided that this is the time for him to say goodbye to us so that he can spend time with family, etc.

I don't know what I'd do if I faced that kind of situation. I'd like to think I'd handle my own goodbyes as well and compassionately as Nick's final post does IMO. But I probably wouldn't -- I fear I'd probably try to avoid that kind of responsible behavior until the day I die.

I'm honored that he remembered me -- I think he may be the first person other than a family member I've ever had say goodbye to me in this personal way. Come to think of it, he's the only person period.

Ditto

God bless you Nick.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:57:26 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,894
Applause Received: 2,093

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Kevin and Shawn,
I'm pretty sure Nick's departure has nothing to do with anything either of you said or didn't say, did or didn't do.

What was it he said in one post, "I'm living on borrowed time"? I'm not one of the ones he has shared any of the details with, but that sounded like a man getting ready for a death that is coming sooner rather than later. And that means he has a lot of goodbyes to say. He's simply decided that this is the time for him to say goodbye to us so that he can spend time with family, etc.

I don't know what I'd do if I faced that kind of situation. I'd like to think I'd handle my own goodbyes as well and compassionately as Nick's final post does IMO. But I probably wouldn't -- I fear I'd probably try to avoid that kind of responsible behavior until the day I die.

I'm honored that he remembered me -- I think he may be the first person other than a family member I've ever had say goodbye to me in this personal way. Come to think of it, he's the only person period.

I know it has nothing to do with me, I mean, who could EVER get tired of ... me? For me, when I notice someone has disappeared (yes, I do check ...whats that tell you?) I use it as an opportunity to re-evaluate certain aspects and explore opportunities of improvement, personally or with the site.

I'm very stubborn, very (Shawn can probably attest to that) and I absolutely refuse to give up or let others give up. Dad told me when growing up, "You are Irish son, and Irish NEVER quit!". I've taken that to heart. Thinking more about it, maybe it's a good thing I didn't know how terminally ill my mother was. Maybe my grandma knew I'd push heaven and earth to keep her alive one more day even if it destroyed me. Maybe that's what she meant when she said "Kevin... listen to me ... there was NOTHING you could do, nothing". Maybe Nick feels (or realizes) something similar ... there is nothing he can do?

I am not fond of goodbyes in the slightest. Don't like'em. Unfortunately, not all of us can live forever.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:26:41 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I know it has nothing to do with me, I mean, who could EVER get tired of ... me? For me, when I notice someone has disappeared (yes, I do check ...whats that tell you?)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:35:53 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 650
Applause Received: 1,338

Son of a b*tch thinks he's going to get the last word like that, he's got another thing coming. I had something real special with Nick, and I'm going to miss him alot. This place isn't going to be the same for me without him. So long Nick, and remember Packer fans will always be greatful to the Minnesota Vikings for not letting Brad Childress get on that plane - we had to settle for Mike McCarthy - you really got us good!!!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline GermanGilbert  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:54:51 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Applause Given: 35
Applause Received: 86

God bless you, Nick. Thank you for all the great moments I had here with you.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
dfosterf on 1/12/2013(UTC)
Offline Rockmolder  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:23:20 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 148
Applause Received: 248

Thank you, Nick, for the kind words.

I know you won't be posting, but I hope you'll be just curious enough to take a peek at this thread later on and read what everyone's written to and about you.

You where one of the first guys here that got me going and got me sucked in to this forum (even though most of you where 4 times my age, if not more). Not knowing a great amount of English and knowing even less about the game of football, people like you, Shawn, Dave, Rourke, Paul, Kevin pretty much accepted me any way.

Not a big deal for most, but coping with some heavy social anxiety to a point where I'd miss 50% of school because of being terrified to just go there, it was a blessing. I didn't see it as running away, I saw it as a different way to get into contact with people and get better.

With Rourke gone from this place, I feel like you're the second to leave of the people who where partially responsible for my turn around.

The only thing that makes this one even heavier is knowing, to an extent, what you've been through.

The exact same thing as my dad.

The way you turned around, fought that demon and left it behind... I'm nothing more than impressed by you and I thank you for the work you've continued to do in that field.

I know you've faced some hardships. Your veteran's day post about Vietnam still moves me every single time I read it and, even though I've been together with my girl for just short of a year, which is not in a single way comparable to your situation, I can't even imagine having to go through what you've been through.

Yet, you've always been one of the most understanding and upbeat members of this forum.

I just want to thank you for everything you've done Nick. Things often make a bigger impact on people than you know. Good luck with your life and your son. May he become as upstanding a man as you are.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 4 applause.
wpr on 1/9/2013(UTC), macbob on 1/9/2013(UTC), Wade on 1/9/2013(UTC), dfosterf on 1/12/2013(UTC)
Online TheKanataThrilla  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:36:14 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 131
Applause Received: 103

Ever since I joined this site it made me really curious as to why rival fans would join. I could never see myself joining a Vikings forum or a Bears forum. I just expected a troll type behaviour from VR and it just wasn't the case. Of course there was banter, but then when we go to the other forum discussions we can see at how alike we really are we just wear different colours. Truly honoured to be mentioned in your departure post. I have known death more than most losing my dad at 22 when he was just 49 and losing my daughter at 37 when she was just a few weeks old. It makes no sense that God seems to want some of us way before our time and often they are those who fall under the old adage "only the good die young", but if indeed time is close I pray for you and your family. God speed and now at least I will take a little solace in that when my beloved Packers lose to the Vikings you will be looking down smiling.

Sean aka The Kanata Thrilla
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Wade on 1/10/2013(UTC), dfosterf on 1/12/2013(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:13:45 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 100

hmmm I missed it - why isnt vikesrules not going to post here anymore? ...
ps - cant take internet stuff too seriously - lots of people post stuff they would not say in real life or if they did they are the ones with no friends.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:01:53 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,894
Applause Received: 2,093

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
hmmm I missed it - why isnt vikesrules not going to post here anymore? ...
ps - cant take internet stuff too seriously - lots of people post stuff they would not say in real life or if they did they are the ones with no friends.

His absence is more of a personal nature, and assuredly, nothing related to anything that has happened on the site.
UserPostedImage
Offline 4PackGirl  
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:20:49 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 153
Applause Received: 124

i'm so sorry to hear about your health, nick.

i will pray for you & yours for whatever is to come, that God will wrap you in His arms & give you strength & peace.

whenever i'm referred to as one of the 'guys', it's truly an honor for me. thank you for honoring me in your final post which was incredibly heartfelt & meaningful to us all.

you're a good man, nick.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 5 applause.
wpr on 1/10/2013(UTC), Wade on 1/10/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 1/10/2013(UTC), macbob on 1/10/2013(UTC), dfosterf on 1/12/2013(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#26 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:03:37 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 181
Applause Received: 403

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

wpr on 1/12/2013(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#27 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:37:08 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 288
Applause Received: 237

Damn. Thread says it's only been 5 days. Seems like lots longer.

Miss Nick and hope he's well.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool on 1/14/2013(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:05:27 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 288
Applause Received: 237

I feel like a smoker giving up cigarettes...

It's only been 8 days??? yougottabesh*ttingme! arrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!

I'm going to have to go back and read some of VR's old posts, my version of a nicoderm patch...

I particularly enjoyed the ones where he would make up some outrageous quote and post it attributed to 'an internet football expert' or some such. Those were most often hilarious. As well as the posts where the responders didn't notice what Nick had done and took his post seriously...
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#29 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 12:37:53 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,047

Agreed Bob.

Edited by user Friday, January 18, 2013 7:03:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline flep  
#30 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 6:44:25 AM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

Nick is still logging on and lurking, just not posting.

Take care of yourself Vikesy!!!!!!!!!!!
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!