Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
There are a ton of reasons to be upset with this season, this team, the "oh so close" feeling that this team endured this season.

But honestly, for a team that went for so many seasons with a constant figure on the field to a team that has to re-identify themselves.. some of this was to be expected.

I expected some frustrating games and losses this season, granted not this many or worse yet this string of defeats post bye.. but I gave it a little thought last night decorating the tree with the kiddos.

We had some lucky breaks last year and weren't as good as record.. this year we didn't enjoy some of those breaks and some of the real root problems on this team have been exposed.

Whether you see it as disipline, position coaching, weakness along both lines, or whatever you believe it to be.

But Ted and Mike McCarthy have plenty of film, breakdowns and examples to root it out in their minds.

So, it will be the proof time in both man's eyes to correctly identify the behind the curtain issues, develop a plan for resolution and execute that plan.

They have no excuses or no place else to lay blame.. I am confident that we will see a number of changes and I believe we will see some urgency this offseason to rebound.

I have confidence in those two yet.. go get them boys.

We have all the evidence to correct the problems at hand (two season worth of the same mistakes) .. good luck.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
15 years ago
I have confidence in them also.

They both could use some Dale Carnegie remedial training in order to quiet the masses, though.

I'm re-opening my "McCarthyisms" humor theme this off-season. I have a lot of new material to work with. This is not the same as having lost faith in either him or Mr. no-blink.

It is going to be a bitch-heavy off-season, but at least we don't have to look for cell phone records.
Packnic
15 years ago
yeah, heres hoping that we went ahead and got the injury bug out at the same time we got the "transition of power" bug to deal with.

just a tough year.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
In a way, they're a bit screwed and don't have anyone to blame but themselves. It's pretty unfair, but the shenanigans this past offseason pretty much dictated that if we didn't have a good year they'd get some heat.

Personally I'm in the camp that still has some faith in them. I just don't see us having the same injury issues as this year, and I do think they'll go out and do something in the offseason to raise the talent level in those areas where it's lacking.

Having a 'normal' offseason shouldn't hurt, either.

But if the team doesn't perform next year, I think it's fair to say they will -- and should be -- on the hot seat.
blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
The interesting thing I noticed a while back, when I was in the mood to go and check it out, was that for the past few years (dating back to 2002), usually their is a 50% turnover concerning the teams that made it to the NFC and AFC Championship games.

And by that I mean 2/4 teams return to the playoffs next year, while the other two miss them completely. I've been contemplating whether or not to start a new detailed thread on this, so I'll leave that option open and just go a little deep here:

Some of the teams to make it to the Conference Championship, only to miss the playoffs all together include: Pats, Eagles, Chargers, Saints, Bears, Panthers... just to name a few.

The interesting thing is that those teams, for the most part, had terrible years following their Conference Championship births. And by terrible I mean below .500, usually going 7-9.

Now I'm not saying Ted and Mike McCarthy should just stand pat, because it's obvious we need help along the lines, and maybe a veteran SS that's dependable and assignment sure. And the Brett saga no doubt hurt this team too.

But it's interesting to see the path these 2008-2009 Packers have taken (i.e. fall from grace) is one that has been traveled before by many a team in the last few years. For all intents and purposes, teams like the Chargers, Pats, Eagles have bounced back and made strong playoff pushes.

So perhaps that Packers aren't in as steep a whole as it seems right now. That's not to say they don't need to fix some problems, but maybe, just maybe the problems aren't as big as we all think?
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
packman31
15 years ago
They were as good as their record last year, good teams win the close games. This years team is playing sloppy with to many penalties and a defense that can't stop anybody.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

They were as good as their record last year, good teams win the close games. This years team is playing sloppy with to many penalties and a defense that can't stop anybody.

"packman31" wrote:

Go check out the stats last season.. 07.. I think we as a team were second in the league in penalty yards.

The Offensive line was just as sporadic in the 07 season as this season..

We trimmed down the roster count on the Dline, specifically the interior.. add in an injury, a player in Harrell that hasn't stepped up and KGB falling off.. simply put.. we need more and better depth there.

A linebacker corp that makes the same mental mistakes and can't cover my hopping ole ass.

Maybe over simplifying it.. but I see it as simple as that.

This year we couldn't get an ounce of pass rush inside or from the opposite side of Kampman..

Again.. we have all the evidence to make the necessary changes.. will they?

That is the franchise question for 09'.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
packman31
15 years ago
They still were as good as their record last season and the defense played better last season. Good teams win close games and play good defense. Yes they have plenty of film but we will see if they use it to make changes.
blank
macbob
15 years ago

They still were as good as their record last season and the defense played better last season. Good teams win close games and play good defense. Yes they have plenty of film but we will see if they use it to make changes.

"packman31" wrote:

That's the thing that surprised me the most. I expected the offense to struggle some, but I didn't expect the utter collapse on defense. The cornerbacks were the only group on defense that I thought played well.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (25m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (39m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.