Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
The poor damn can that is our national debt is way beyond dented... why screw around with the small denominations of money.. go big. Just continue to watch the value of the dollar plummet.

I really need to stop watching and reading this train wreck of a government..

Can a $1 trillion coin end debt ceiling crisis? 

What if the threat of a voluntary default by the United States could be erased by simply turning one tiny scrap of platinum into a coin?

That's right. No debt ceiling problem. No bickering in Congress. No market jitters. The only thing needed is for the Treasury Department to mint a platinum coin with a face value of $1 trillion.
Of course, this is not going to happen. Creating money out of thin air is hardly a solution. It could lead to even more concerns from those worried about inflation. Critics of the Federal Reserve's monetary easing programs would likely be apoplectic if the Treasury Department trumped Ben Bernanke's "helicopter drop" by minting a trillion more new dollars.

The influential New York Times columnist Paul Krugman has already dubbed the talk a "gimmick." But here is why some people think this bizarre strategy could work.

Last week, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner made it official: Federal borrowing has reached the $16.394 trillion debt ceiling.

Treasury, which runs the government's debt-issuance operation, is busy creating about $200 billion of headroom by employing what it calls "extraordinary measures." That should cover about two months' worth of borrowing.

When the two months expire, Treasury will no longer be able to pay the country's bills -- that is, it won't be able to borrow more money to pay for spending already authorized by Congress.

If Congress does not act to raise the debt ceiling, the U.S. will default on its debts. Not good. But this is where the platinum coin comes in. Normally, the Federal Reserve is charged with issuing currency. But U.S. law, specifically 31 USC § 5112, also grants Treasury permission to "mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins."

This section of law was meant to allow for the printing of commemorative coins and the like. But the Treasury Secretary has the authority to mint these coins in any denomination he or she sees fit.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago
I just read this article on CNN and I think it destroyed a quarter of my braincells. Ah well, at least I have 5 left.
DakotaT
11 years ago
Do you people actually sit around and worry about this stuff? Our country has hardley scratched the surface of its natural resource, we currently are able to raise enough food to feed the world, we have state of the art technology in industry and war. Every day a 2 mile long train of coal runs through Bismarck, then later in the day a 3 mile long train full of oil runs through Bismarck, then another train of various grains goes through. Yeah, I don't sit around biting my finger nails over this shit, but I guess it's something to argue about, so carry on!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
Oh... it is not paramount type of worry.. just like the "fiscal cliff"... it is the angles the press pushes and some of their reasoning that boggles ones mind.

But, yes I do take interest in this as I have children and hopefully grandchildren that I am taking an interest in it. I worry not about my lifetime.. the future, yeah I take concern.

And no... I don't wish to argue about it.. some probably will, but others takes often get me to think about angles and affects that I might overlook for myself.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
11 years ago
Well my man, I'm old enough to recall having a national debt under Saint Reagan and Bush Senior that we would never ever pay off. Clinton raised taxes and by the end of his second term we had a budget surplus until Curious George then cut taxes and put 6 years of war on a credit card. Might I add, the stock market was making a lot of money for everyone under Clinton.

This time around though, they shouldn't stop at just raising taxes, they should go after all the untaxed American money sitting abroad. First you run an amnesty program to give the scumbag treasoners a chance to repatriate their funds - then go sieze the funds abroad and either incarecerate the tax cheats or deport them.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Bah.

All they need to do is go on Amazon/e-Bay and buy a few dozen of these, get one of those hand stamps made for ten bucks that says "This is legal tender of the United States of America," and use the second on the first. Why waste all that metal on coins?

UserPostedImage

Pinheadedness knows no bounds.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
11 years ago

Bah.

All they need to do is go on Amazon/e-Bay and buy a few dozen of these, get one of those hand stamps made for ten bucks that says "This is legal tender of the United States of America," and use the second on the first. Why waste all that metal on coins?

UserPostedImage

Pinheadedness knows no bounds.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Speaking of Pinheads, Kingpinhead O'reilly just pissed off the Asian Americans by saying he couldn't understand why so many of them are liberals because they are such hard working indiginent people. I guess Republicans are the only Americans that can be considered "hard working". Uffda Bill, you can be a dumbass.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
I've never been a fan of any Clinton other than George, but America would be far, far better off with Bill Clinton in charge than the current group of clowns.

The difference between Clinton and Obama (and, for that matter, between Clinton and the younger Bush) is that Clinton, despite his unfailing iberal rhetoric, spent more time getting blowjobs from Monica and very little of it making it harder and harder for the productive sectors of the economy to do their thing and build the tax base. Clinton was a cynic, not a Robin Hood wannabe. He was a talker, not a builder of regulatory piles.

On the other hand, Obama, and you it seems, actually believes you can pay off the national debt by redistributing wealth from rich to poor or some such. He fails to understand that the real hope of America lies with you and other productive people out there. Not with transfer-of-wealth schemes. Clinton (the guy with the slick willy, not the battle ax reverse-carpetbagger lawyer he's unfortunately married to) understood this. Clinton knew that the key to eliminating debt is figuring out how to increase income. Obama simply has no clue.

And neither, IMO, do Ben Bernanke and the Go-Go Geithners.

I wish you'd listen more to the part of you that builds American wealth by his hard work and his honey business, and truly would reject *all* the morons, including the know-nothings who spout that useless populist rhetoric of redistribution.

Oh well.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
DakotaT
11 years ago

I've never been a fan of any Clinton other than George, but America would be far, far better off with Bill Clinton in charge than the current group of clowns.

The difference between Clinton and Obama (and, for that matter, between Clinton and the younger Bush) is that Clinton, despite his unfailing iberal rhetoric, spent more time getting blowjobs from Monica and very little of it making it harder and harder for the productive sectors of the economy to do their thing and build the tax base. Clinton was a cynic, not a Robin Hood wannabe. He was a talker, not a builder of regulatory piles.

On the other hand, Obama, and you it seems, actually believes you can pay off the national debt by redistributing wealth from rich to poor or some such. He fails to understand that the real hope of America lies with you and other productive people out there. Not with transfer-of-wealth schemes. Clinton (the guy with the slick willy, not the battle ax reverse-carpetbagger lawyer he's unfortunately married to) understood this. Clinton knew that the key to eliminating debt is figuring out how to increase income. Obama simply has no clue.

And neither, IMO, do Ben Bernanke and the Go-Go Geithners.

I wish you'd listen more to the part of you that builds American wealth by his hard work and his honey business, and truly would reject *all* the morons, including the know-nothings who spout that useless populist rhetoric of redistribution.

Oh well.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

See Wade, I call BS on the Republican definition of redistribution of wealth. Taxing the wealthy to put an influx of money in the national budget as a solution to the debt is logical.

Redistribution of wealth is keeping the war machine alive so that middle class Americans are forced to use their tax dollars to line the pockets of the wealthy stockholders of defense arms companies.

Now stay with me, cause I have the solution to the whole debt thing - we tax the shit out of the people that have benefitted from the actual redistribution of wealth and cut the the military by 40% this year. We might just take our military capabilities back to a first strike capability instead of a total annihilation capability.

Now take an aspirin Wade, and go to bed and get back to me in the morning. The professor was just schooled by the master. I know, I'm an asshole. [rockon] [happy] [ass]

I don't care about presidents, they're all fucked in the head.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Do you people actually sit around and worry about this stuff? Our country has hardley scratched the surface of its natural resource, we currently are able to raise enough food to feed the world, we have state of the art technology in industry and war. Every day a 2 mile long train of coal runs through Bismarck, then later in the day a 3 mile long train full of oil runs through Bismarck, then another train of various grains goes through. Yeah, I don't sit around biting my finger nails over this shit, but I guess it's something to argue about, so carry on!

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

On this you are correct. In fact you understate our productive capacity. Even with the shithole that American education has become over the last three generations, America has a capacity for productivity that is still second to none. Problem is, we seem to be collectively doing everything in our power to ensure that that productive capacity never gets realized.

Do you realize just what kind of production the USA could have had in the 30s had not the Republican Hoover and the Democratic Roosevelt combined to do everything they could to that a quarter of the workforce was first unemployed and then, through the massive redistributions of the New Deal, underemployed? Then, having spent a decade plus screwing with the production system, and thanks to the bastards in Berlin and Rome and Tokyo, we had to use that very productive capacity to ratchet up the destruction of wealth, human and otherwise, around the world. Only in the late forties and, especially the fifties, did America start putting those amazing resources of human capital and human ingenuity, far more massive in their productive ability than the mere physical resources of oil shale and corn, to work doing productive stuff.

So what do we have now? The Hoovers and the Roosevelts duking it out with their bad economics.

North Dakota will be fine regardless, I expect. At least until Washingtonians figure out that an "excess wealth" tax on the shale field owners can be used to finance those trillion dollar coins for a few months. Or think about creating a new "conservation corps" of unemployed lawyers and college professors to plant daisies along the highway and paint road lines with a kindergarten brush.

Or build dormitories for American citizens or wannabe citizens of Hispanic descent who are taking jobs from True Americans.

I've long since passed the point where I worry about it, though. Besides I'm too busy trying to figure out how to take responsibility for and deal with the consequences of my own bad financial decisions.

Fortunately, I'm lucky to have Ecclesiastes and John 3:16 and Romans 1:5 and Romans 12:2 to fall back on. In the end, I don't have to worry about whether Ben Bernanke or Bill O'Reilly is the bigger pinhead. I only have to recognize that the problem comes when I believe so much in my ability to have the answers, or when I believe it is important for someone to have such answers.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.