walleye
15 years ago
Since the end of the 2007 season, Culpepper has been unwanted.

He hasn't helped himself. In April, he turned down a $1 million offer from Green Bay, which would have put him in position to lead the Packers if (when) Aaron Rodgers gets hurt.

More recently, he refused a one-year, $730,000 offer from the Steelers, in part because he wanted to compete for the starting job. Against, you know, Ben Roethlisberger. Since then, Culpepper has recognized that it's too late to try to be a starter in 2008, especially in a city with a guy who just signed a $100 million contract.

"I initially hoped to have an opportunity to start," Culpepper recently told USA Today. "I am now looking for any team that will give me an opportunity to contribute wherever I am needed."

Apparently, he's realized that waiting for a starter to break a leg carried with it no guarantees that his phone would ring. Who'd take a chance on a stranger to the offense with a suspect leg of his own and a growing reputation for drama when a backup already is on the roster?

The deeper problem here is that, by representing himself, Culpepper is the guy who has to contact teams and sing his own praises. Agents (the good ones, that is) have the relationships and/or persuasive skills to talk a guy up much better than he could on his own.

Then, once a team is interested, Culpepper is in the awkward position of trying to drive a hard bargain with the very people with whom he'll be working. He also has no one to tell him when he's making a mistake by walking away.

Like when he turned down $1 million from the Packers. Or when he passed on $730,000 with the Steelers.

The other problem is that, by going it alone, Culpepper has given every other agent motivation to privately bad-mouth him. Typically, agents spend their time saying nasty stuff about each other. But when a player thinks he doesn't need an agent, he's a threat to all of them. And you can bet every agent who represents a quarterback looking for a job has been telling scouts and other front-office execs that anyone who takes a chance on a loose cannon like Culpepper risks getting himself fired.

Still, in a league with not enough capable arms to staff the depth charts of 32 teams, a guy like Culpepper should have a job. He's nearly three years from his knee injury, but only four years from a single-season passer rating of 110.9, the fifth-best showing in league history. At age 31, he can still play, and he at least deserves a shot.

But, until he gets an agent, he'll continue to spend his time waiting for the next chance to come.

I found this article! I say they try to get him just in case Rodgers gets hurt GOD FORBID it happens but you never know.
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
TheEngineer
15 years ago
Thanks for finding the article.

+1 for effort
blank
chibiabo
15 years ago
:magnifyglass: Bozz 2006 seems to think that Harrell will come back hale and hearty. I wish I had that kind of confidence in this guy. In my opinion Harrell is definitely a worrisome player. Doubt he'll ever make it through a whole season and when he does play rarely plays up to his hype. I would be much more comfortable if Ted Thompson picks up an additional wide body with a bit of push to harass opposing QBs.
blank
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Question - Do we have a 6'4" WR that can run a 4.29 40 and outjump half of the NBA?

Answer - No.

Thus, just say no to Daunte Culpepper. Hate to break it to you all, but he's not that good. Culpepper will not get us very far in the Playoffs, so if Aaron gets hurt, we're better off letting Brohm get some hands on experience. The season is lost anyways.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
twebdonny
15 years ago

Question - Do we have a 6'4" WR that can run a 4.29 40 and outjump half of the NBA?

Answer - No.

Thus, just say no to Daunte Culpepper. Hate to break it to you all, but he's not that good. Culpepper will not get us very far in the Playoffs, so if Aaron gets hurt, we're better off letting Brohm get some hands on experience. The season is lost anyways.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I disagree on that one. I truly think Daunte can excel on a good team,
neither of which was the case in Miami or Oakland. He finally has had sufficient time to heal. As for Arod looking over his shoulder, too bad, unless of course it is not "all about the team" as he so vehemently states.

Pick up Daunte now, before someone else does.

DJ
www.travel-ascending.com
zombieslayer
15 years ago

neither of which was the case in Miami or Oakland. He finally has had sufficient time to heal. As for Arod looking over his shoulder, too bad, unless of course it is not "all about the team" as he so vehemently states.

DJ

"twebdonny" wrote:

There's a reason we offered him only $1 million. Ted Thompson did the right thing by insulting him.

I'm just hoping our OL holds up, so this whole thing will be a non-issue in '08.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago

Answer - No.

"twebdonny" wrote:

DJ

"zombieslayer" wrote:

A Rod wouldn't twitch a moustache hair over Culpepper peering over his shoulder.
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago
Well, I think we need better offensive guards. Our tackles are getting on in years also. We have question marks at center. The QB is unproven, the starting RB has really only a slight bit over a half-season of work, our full-backs aren't anyone of real merit, the DT position is in total flux due to the injuries, I'm not sure our DE's can continue to perform at such a high level, the safeties have been called burnable by most, the cornerbacks are geezin', Poppinga has coverage issues historically, AJ's hurt, Chillar has been underwhelming, but our kicker looks real strong. You know, the usual concerns....
bozz_2006
15 years ago
If i said that Harrell would be back at 100% and contribute for the last ten games of the season as if no injury ever happened, excuse me. that's not what i meant to say. What I meant is that because cohesion and "being on the same page" are so important to Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy , i don't think they'll bring anybody in to be a stopgap, because a new player typically can't contribute right away, specifically because they haven't been given time to gel. DT is a position that can contribute relatively fast (i'd say they could start really contributing around 6 weeks), but by the time they start to contribute, Harrell is expected to be back and contributing. OL is probably the slowest position to gel, because you have to work as a single unit with four other dudes. a brand new OL takes forever to gain consistency, and i don't think Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy think that a new OL would be any more consistent than someone who is already on the roster and has spent time working with the rest of the OL unit.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

If i said that Harrell would be back at 100% and contribute for the last ten games of the season as if no injury ever happened, excuse me. that's not what i meant to say. What I meant is that because cohesion and "being on the same page" are so important toTed Thompsonand Mike McCarthy , i don't think they'll bring anybody in to be a stopgap, because a new player typically can't contribute right away, specifically because they haven't been given time to gel. DT is a position that can contribute relatively fast (i'd say they could start really contributing around 6 weeks), but by the time they start to contribute, Harrell is expected to be back and contributing. OL is probably the slowest position to gel, because you have to work as a single unit with four other dudes. a brand new OL takes forever to gain consistency, and i don't thinkTed Thompsonand Mike McCarthy think that a new OL would be any more consistent than someone who is already on the roster and has spent time working with the rest of the OL unit.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

When Harrell's ready to come back, Mike McCarthy needs to take away his Wii.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (18m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.