Cheesey
11 years ago

Would love to know what is going through this mans head.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000110396/article/roger-goodell-nfl-considering-expanding-playoffs 

Originally Posted by: flep 

I can answer that.....AIR!!!
LOTS and LOTS of AIR!!!

If the NFL goes to 16 playoff teams, i'd stop watching. I mean, why even bother with the regular season? Just put ALL teams into a one game playoff, and whoever is there at the end gets the Lombardi trophy.

That's the reason i don't even watch the NBA anymore. A sub .500 team gets in, and it takes months for the so called "playoffs" to be over. It drags on and on, and i lose interest right away.
UserPostedImage
Formo
11 years ago

Disagree. The league can't even put out 32 starting caliber quarterbacks as it is. Expansion will just lead to more teams like the Jags, who one, can't even fill half a stadium, and two can't find a QB or the rest of the personnel to field a decent team.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

You missed my point. Talent gets left at the wayside in the current configuration. Teams will be forced dig in those waysides. Also, who said that EVERY team needs a quality QB? You think every 120+ D1 college team has a quality QB? Why does every team need a quality/starting QB but not a quality/starting WR or RB or any other position?

And I already addressed the point of stadiums not filling up. Jacksonville is likely a poor market, but it would stand to fill up if the environment was better.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Pack93z
11 years ago

I used to love watching football. I may stop soon. Completely.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

NFL football.. I used to purchase the NFL ticket yearly, so I could flip and watch as much NFL ball as I could.

Then the CBA bullshit, a league that is making record profits and they couldn't figure out a way to make everyone happy.

Then the former player fighting for things they didn't get when they played, some had a realistic reason to fight. Some are just trying to cash in again.

Now they continue to change the game by trying to take the root element out of it.. now they want to expand.

I quit buying any items with the NFL endorsement, even when the Packers won the Superbowl... the Sunday ticket.. soon it may be the rest.

I have said it before, this isn't the game I fell in love with 30 plus years ago...
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
11 years ago
Like I mentioned, they should discuss it with the PA before taking it public.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement does not address the topic. Which means, as we explained during Sunday’s edition of Football Night in America, that the NFL would have to bargain with the NFL Players Association in order to obtain the ability to add two or four playoff teams.

"PFTalk  wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"

Like I mentioned, they should discuss it with the PA before taking it public.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I believe they are mistaken. The CBA does address playoffs. It addresses scheduling, and it addresses how they can practice during the playoffs, it addresses additional pay for the playoffs. If they simply add more teams, they are not adding anything that would not be covered by the CBA. If they wanted to add another round to the playoffs, I would agree, but they would not be. It would still be Wild Card, Divisional, Conference and SB. All it would do is make 4 more teams eligible for the extra pay that is already negotiated.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Pack93z
11 years ago

I believe they are mistaken. The CBA does address playoffs. It addresses scheduling, and it addresses how they can practice during the playoffs, it addresses additional pay for the playoffs. If they simply add more teams, they are not adding anything that would not be covered by the CBA. If they wanted to add another round to the playoffs, I would agree, but they would not be. It would still be Wild Card, Divisional, Conference and SB. All it would do is make 4 more teams eligible for the extra pay that is already negotiated.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

No, they are correct as I understand the CBA, any additional games added to the players, regardless of timing, would result in the PA having to sign off. The CBA covers x amount of games within the season, any additional games would have to be vetted with the PA and players.

I don't think the players themselves would be against an additional teams... but they are for sure going to get some concessions back from the league to add another revenue stream to the owners and increase their injury risk.
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

No, they are correct as I understand the CBA, any additional games added to the players, regardless of timing, would result in the PA having to sign off. The CBA covers x amount of games within the season, any additional games would have to be vetted with the PA and players.

I don't think the players themselves would be against an additional teams... but they are for sure going to get some concessions back from the league to add another revenue stream to the owners and increase their injury risk.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I don't see that in the CBA, and I have read it. I've searched it for every reference to the playoffs. It never specifies 12 teams or how the playoff teams are determined or how seating is done. Or who has home field and who travels.

But it does specify how players will be payed for playing in Wildcard games or all playoff games. Practice limitations. I just don't see grounds where additional wildcard teams breaches or is outside of anything in or not in the CBA.
Pack93z
11 years ago
First, glad to see there is more than one complete junkie in the crowd. :)

Onto the statements where the NFLPA needs to approve the structure changes, the CBA adopts and abides by the NFL bylaws.

2012 CBA 

NFL Bylaws 

2012 Amendment to the Bylaws 

In the CBA... Article 2.. Section 4.

Section 4. Scope of Agreement:
(a) This Agreement represents the complete understanding of the parties on all subjects covered herein, and there will be no change in the terms and conditions of this Agreement without mutual consent. Except as otherwise provided in Article 47, Section 6, on Union Security, the NFLPA and the NFL waive all rights to bargain with one another concerning any subject covered or not covered in this Agreement for the duration of this Agreement, including the provisions of the NFL Constitution and By-laws; provided, however, that if any proposed change in the NFL Constitution and Bylaws could significantly affect the terms and conditions of employment of NFL play-ers, then the NFL will give the NFLPA notice of and negotiate the proposed change in good faith.

Within the Bylaws, the postseason is defined as... the bylaws define all things like league year, roster rules, etc. Hence why they amended the bylaws this preseason for the IR with return designation and altering the roster limits.

Anyway.. Article XX of the bylaws defines the playoff seeding with # of teams and and the order in which they are seeded.

20.1 The four Division Champions and the two Wild Card clubs (the two clubs with the best records other than the Division Champions) from each conference will participate in the postseason.

Later back in the CBA,

ARTICLE 37 POSTSEASON PAY
Section 1. System: A four-tiered (“wild card” game, division playoff game, conference championship and Super Bowl game) play-off system will be used and continued throughout the term of this Agreement.

So my friend, yes it is defined, governed and agreed upon by both the league and the NFLPA.

Pack93z
11 years ago
And sorry for the delay in posting this.. long day of finalizing Christmas shopping.. hell of a way to spend a vacation day.
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
As i read the article and section what it says, as it pertains to the subject at hand. That the NFLPA would need to show that the league adding playoff teams, would significantly affect the terms and conditions of their employment.

It doesn't say that any change to the bylaws or nfl constitution has to go through the PA. Only if the change would significantly affect the terms.

And I don't see how they would establish significant change when the compensation and structure is already set.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.