play2win
11 years ago
I think we are going to have to add a couple of players if we are going to right this, namely a NT and an OT. Any ideas?
musccy
11 years ago
add a center to that list!
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
This time of year I really doubt there is anyone available that is better than what we have.

Ted rolled the dice this year, letting Wells go(yes I know he is on IR but it made a difference), signing Saturday. then hoping none of the starters would get hurt.

Now The Packers are just going to have to make the best of what is there.

It's never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as it seems. O[line was dominated last night, but hell the whole team was pretty much dominated, Packers just rolled into New jersey at a really bad time.

The thing that stuck out to me the maost was McCarthey's play calling, seems as soon as The Giants took the 10 point lead he panicked and went into throw the ball at any cost mode.

Now is not the time to panic!!!! Packers still have their goals within sight.

Time to forget about this debacle and move foward.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Pack93z
11 years ago

It's never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as it seems. O[line was dominated last night, but hell the whole team was pretty much dominated, Packers just rolled into New jersey at a really bad time.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Couldn't say it better than that.. it was a measuring stick type of game and this team has to readjust the sights.

Let's not forget, the defense got rolled right along with the Oline. The only comfort there is we have guys that are coming back to the defense.. the offensive line is what it is.

The thing that stuck out to me the maost was McCarthey's play calling, seems as soon as The Giants took the 10 point lead he panicked and went into throw the ball at any cost mode.

Exactly.. when we stayed balanced early, we move the ball fine. The PA really opened up the Nelson throw.

The chain of events of a decision to try a 55 yard field goal, giving the field position early back to the Giants followed by a pick and a TD set in motion some panic within MM. There are not many teams that will block that defensive line in a pass only mode. It wasn't just the play calling.. it was spreading it out ahead of the play and yelling.. turn it loose to those Pass rush dogs in blue.

The offensive line is what it is, they struggle with speed rushers.. you have to pop those pricks int he mouth, soften them up and then start to pass on them.

But the Giants also jammed the Packers receivers aggressively.. and they struggled to get loose. Even Jones and Nelson struggled... the only guy that was consistently beating the jam was Finley.

We have work to do.. and this game shows just how much.

I think it will help set a sense of urgency to get the running game working better and then walking back in there and popping them square. We were running the ball pretty well prior to the above chain of events. 5 for 29, 5.8 Per carry. It propelled us to a TD and a FG attempt.

The next drive.. 3 pass attempts.. a sack, a QB scramble after pressure (although, it looked like a designed draw based on offensive line positioning down field, but the concept makes no sense), and a quick throw for 6 yards.

Panic move by MM.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
11 years ago

This time of year I really doubt there is anyone available that is better than what we have.

Ted rolled the dice this year, letting Wells go(yes I know he is on IR but it made a difference), signing Saturday. then hoping none of the starters would get hurt.

Now The Packers are just going to have to make the best of what is there.

I agree with you buckeye. I do think we have some of the pieces on OL to move forward, and that the play calling/coaching is what really needs to improve. What concerns most from a personnel standpoint, is NT. Raji and Pickett need someone with some beef in there to rotate. Give those guys a reasonable break, and they are far more effective.

Pack93z
11 years ago
I posted this a couple weeks ago.. best free agent OL.. ranked by Rotoworld.

I think if a guy like Jason Brown being in the top 10.. it speaks volumes about what is currently available.

Offensive Linemen 

1. Chad Clifton
2. Kareem McKenzie
3. Kyle Kosier
4. Tony Pashos
5. Brandon Keith
6. Montrae Holland
7. Artis Hicks
8. Jason Brown
9. Vince Manuwai
10. Jeff Otah
11. Reggie Wells
12. Mario Henderson
13. Kasey Studdard
14. Tony Moll
15. Stacy Andrews
16. Chris Kemoeatu
17. Andre Gurode
18. James Lee
19. Jamaal Jackson
20. Trai Essex
21. Adam Goldberg
22. Lydon Murtha
23. Daniel Loper
24. Anthony Herrera
25. Duke Robinson
26. Quinn Ojinnaka
27. Kirk Chambers
28. George Foster
29. Alex Barron
30. Josh Beekman

I don't think EDS being in there is hurting us.. I think our best combination available would be Newhouse-Lang-EDS-Sitton-?. But without having a option for ?.. we have what we have, Lang playing the edge and the coaching staff trying to assist both ends that struggle with speed. Speed on turf just magnifies the issue.. hence, why we need to play on grass. I will only help the oline with speed rushing teams.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
11 years ago
That list has Tony Moll listed six spots higher than Tony Essex, so yeah, I wouldn't go with that one.

But Buckeye's right. We do this every single year. One position on the team is struggling and we're calling for roster moves. Thing is, there's just no one out there right now. Once in a while you get lucky and you sign someone like Howard Green, who out of the blue contributes to your team, but that barely ever happens.

Whether you want to a good o-lineman, an OLB or a DT/DE, you're not just going to go and pick someone up right now.

If Ted could, why wouldn't he already have done just that?
play2win
11 years ago
I would bring Clifton in and reshuffle the deck. Move Newhouse to the RT and Lang back to LG. I would do that today.
Rockmolder
11 years ago

I would bring Clifton in and reshuffle the deck. Move Newhouse to the RT and Lang back to LG. I would do that today.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Are you sure that the man can still walk?
play2win
11 years ago
No, but if he passed a physical, I'd sign him. Man, I forgot my disclaimer!

This from Peter King:
"Prelude to a diss: In the last 52 weeks, the Packers have met the Giants three times. Green Bay has allowed 35, 37 and 38 points, and an average of 419 yards a game, and nine Eli Manning touchdown passes. Time for defensive coordinator Dom Capers to figure out a way to cover the Giants deep. Time for Charles Woodson and Clay Matthews to heal. Time for a shaky line to protect Aaron Rodgers. Time for GM Ted Thompson to find reinforcements for the line."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/11/26/Week-12/index.html#ixzz2DMO69xFr 

Also, I might consider bringing Philip Merling back into the fold, depending on what happens with CJ Wilson.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.