MontanaBob
11 years ago
Garu Yepremian has been sighted on Lombardi Ave just this morning. He was seen not only waming up his leg, but actually practicing his passing motion as well.

He told a passer-by...."Not only do you geet good keecker, you geet back-up quarterback, who can pass ball weeth da best of them. And, I sell lots of ties to Packers. Gotta look good at da press conferences."

Crosby better be on the look out. But hey, he could lose his job but end up with a lifetime supply of neckties. Give a couple to the girls as gifts.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
play2win
11 years ago
Mason has to work his way out of the slump. Plain and simple... to say, not the easiest thing to actually do. He's already worked his way out of one slump, where he went 16-23 in 2009. He had a stretch of 4 misses in 10 attempts that year, and really struggled from +40 (4-7) and + 50 (2-6). Still, he finished the year at 75%.

Bob McGinn's 2009 grade on Crosby:

"Mason Crosby: Tied for 25th in field-goal accuracy (.750) after ranking 26th in 2007 (.795) and 28th in 2008 (.794). The majority of his misses came from the right hash mark. Tied for 11th in average distance per miss (46.6), ranked 16th in average distance per attempt (36.3) and tied for 24th in average distance per make (32.8). On 78 kickoffs when instructed to kick deep, he averaged 68.01 yards (best in Green Bay this decade) and 3.95 seconds of hang time (second best of decade). Adjusted beautifully when asked to kick off directionally or drive it low. Outstanding on onside kicks. Grade: D-plus"

2010 he made 78.6%
2011 he made 85.7%

This looks to be a bigger slump. Hopefully Mason Crosby can climb out of this one to finish the year strong. I like that McCarthy has instilled confidence in Crosby's ability to turn it back around and be successful, again. If I were Ted, I would get Ryan Longwell on speed dial, and see how he could add him to our roster - just in case Crosby can't shake it. Longwell for FGs. Crosby for KOs.

Stats on kickers who have successfully worked their way out of serious slumps are very rare - nonexistent. If Crosby can in fact do it, he should get a lot of credit. This is no small thing.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
Coach knows Best!

Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:36:30 -0800

Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said following Week 11 he has no plans to release PK Mason Crosby despite his struggles. "We will continue with Mason," McCarthy said. "We will not blink as far as our commitment to him."

Share: | Source: NFL.com

http://www.kffl.com/team/17/nfl/green-bay-packers#ixzz2CiQa3Pce 
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Tezzy
11 years ago

Mason has to work his way out of the slump. Plain and simple... to say, not the easiest thing to actually do. He's already worked his way out of one slump, where he went 16-23 in 2009. He had a stretch of 4 misses in 10 attempts that year, and really struggled from +40 (4-7) and + 50 (2-6). Still, he finished the year at 75%.

Bob McGinn's 2009 grade on Crosby:

"Mason Crosby: Tied for 25th in field-goal accuracy (.750) after ranking 26th in 2007 (.795) and 28th in 2008 (.794). The majority of his misses came from the right hash mark. Tied for 11th in average distance per miss (46.6), ranked 16th in average distance per attempt (36.3) and tied for 24th in average distance per make (32.8). On 78 kickoffs when instructed to kick deep, he averaged 68.01 yards (best in Green Bay this decade) and 3.95 seconds of hang time (second best of decade). Adjusted beautifully when asked to kick off directionally or drive it low. Outstanding on onside kicks. Grade: D-plus"

2010 he made 78.6%
2011 he made 85.7%

This looks to be a bigger slump. Hopefully Mason Crosby can climb out of this one to finish the year strong. I like that McCarthy has instilled confidence in Crosby's ability to turn it back around and be successful, again. If I were Ted, I would get Ryan Longwell on speed dial, and see how he could add him to our roster - just in case Crosby can't shake it. Longwell for FGs. Crosby for KOs.

Stats on kickers who have successfully worked their way out of serious slumps are very rare - nonexistent. If Crosby can in fact do it, he should get a lot of credit. This is no small thing.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Longwell had two slump seasons he overcame in his career, a 22 pt(86% to 64% back to 82%) in 2000-2002 and yet another season with a 11 pt drop. Morten Anderson had successive seasons of 85%+ followed by successive season of less than 72%, and back to seasons in the 80%+. What about Nick Folk, he plummets from 90% to 65%, and after three straight improving seasons, kicking at 82% this season. I disagree that it is rare or nonexistent for kickers to get out of slumps.

I think Mason can get back to his already pedestrian, but most the time tolerable, sub 80% lifetime. If Mason can recover for the remainder of the season he can get back to respectable and still maintain a pretty solid career stat line.

On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
nerdmann
11 years ago

Longwell had two slump seasons he overcame in his career, a 22 pt(86% to 64% back to 82%) in 2000-2002 and yet another season with a 11 pt drop. Morten Anderson had successive seasons of 85%+ followed by successive season of less than 72%, and back to seasons in the 80%+. What about Nick Folk, he plummets from 90% to 65%, and after three straight improving seasons, kicking at 82% this season. I disagree that it is rare or nonexistent for kickers to get out of slumps.

I think Mason can get back to his already pedestrian, but most the time tolerable, sub 80% lifetime. If Mason can recover for the remainder of the season he can get back to respectable and still maintain a pretty solid career stat line.

Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

People talk shit about Crosby being sub 80 %. But keep in mind. Not only does he have to consistently make unusually long attempts, but he's also kicking in Lambeau.

Now I don't think Crosby's "clutch," per se. Never has been. But he's good with the onside and pooch type kicks. Plus he's got a strong leg.

I can see why they're not gonna just dump him.

All kickers go through slumps. Not to jinx him of course.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

Teezy, you are right that there are instances where kickers have gotten out of slumps, so, the "non-existent" statement I made was incorrect. However, they are indeed rare. You would have to admit that.

BTW, it is normal for an ebb and flow type of percentage for accuracy amongst all kickers from one season to the next. That is the norm. The thing that has me concerned is actually climbing out of a rather severe slump. He was fine prior to the IND game, making 100% of his FGs, with a long of 54 yds. Since that game he had made just 6 of his 13 attempts, with a long of 48 @ STL.
Pack93z
11 years ago
I don't know if it is that rare of a thing.

Took a look at three of the longest tenured K's in the league.

David Akers, Jason Hanson, Adam Vinatieri.

All have had sucessive seasons with drops or peaks of greater than 10% from the previous season. For a graphical look..  Kickers % Made by Season..JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
11 years ago
The problem, if any with Mason is that he is a lower percentage kicker overall, so his lows seem more apparent.

But just the same, the Packers resigned him with that knowledge in place.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
11 years ago
I wanted to slice the numbers for kickers, by summary comparisons.

By range, by overall percentage and percent of their attempts over 50 yards, something I thought Crosby had suffered by the hands of MM. Meaning that he had a proportionally higher attempts in relation to all attempts from over 50 yards because of his leg strength.

K by the Numbers.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
play2win
11 years ago

I don't know if it is that rare of a thing.

Took a look at three of the longest tenured K's in the league.

David Akers, Jason Hanson, Adam Vinatieri.

All have had sucessive seasons with drops or peaks of greater than 10% from the previous season. For a graphical look..

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Yeah, but the mean there is around 75%. As I mentioned, the norm is an ebb and flow from year to year. He was perfect through the first 4 games, with 0 attempts in two of those contests (5-5 in both CHI and SEA games).

The last 6 weeks he is kicking at 46%, which is WAY out of that mean. That is where I have a concern. Every kicker slumps to some extent at certain points in their careers. It is just, how badly, and for how long.

I would say this a considerable stretch here. I hope he can climb out of it. He has remarkable support from his coaches and teammates. I'm pulling for him, as I am a pretty big fan of his.