Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Wade  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:30:01 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 672

Got waived by Pittsburgh. Should the Pack take a flyer on him? Can he be put on the practice squad?

Definitely has off-field issues, I know, so there's a risk. OTOH, I really wanted the Pack to draft him.

What do others think?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:02:40 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,891
Applause Received: 2,089

What position? If it's OL, hell no. Their OL is worse than the Packers. What did he do that stands out enough for you to make a thread about a non-Packers player in the Packers section?

Edit, thread, not threat! haha

Edited by user Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:52:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:13:45 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
What position? If it's OL, hell no. Their OL is worse than the Packers. What did he do that stands out enough for you to make a threat about a non-Packers player in the Packers section?

He's a NT.

And I don't really want him.

To be honest, I think the only reason that he was drafted was because of his body type. Just like with QBs, good NTs don't come around that often, while every 3-4 team needs one and a lot of 4-3 teams would like to have one. They get overdrafted.

He's not as good as advertised and from what I've seen and heared, he gets moved around way too easily for someone who's 360 and who's main job is to hold his ground. Couple that with him not being able to rush the passer to save his life and I'm not really excited about signing him to our team.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 11/13/2012(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:47:53 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 672

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
What position? If it's OL, hell no. Their OL is worse than the Packers. What did he do that stands out enough for you to make a threat about a non-Packers player in the Packers section?

Because I was asking about whether he should be a Packer. Ergo it was a Packers topic, just as it would have been had I started a draft thread about him. :)

And NT, not OL.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 11/13/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:19:25 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,491
Applause Received: 624

Is he better than Lawrence Guy?

Well, being a NT, he'd have to be better than Raji or Pickett, which is not likely. But I presume he could be moved outside?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:02:59 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 288

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Got waived by Pittsburgh. Should the Pack take a flyer on him? Can he be put on the practice squad?

Definitely has off-field issues, I know, so there's a risk. OTOH, I really wanted the Pack to draft him.

What do others think?

I think they need to figure out much trouble he could be in both now and the future. If he's about to spend a lot of time in jail, it might not be best to cut someone else to hold him of him He he's not going to jail and going to keep playing then that's a different story.

I've only heard him getting in trouble that once.... but that was/is HUGE trouble... if I think he's a good kid that just made a mistake and won't get into any more trouble than that's one thing. If he keeps getting in trouble than I want no part of it.

But as far as I know this is a one time thing and fixable in the future if he wishes to change it.

Talent wise, I say bring him in. People have some complains abut his style of game, but the kid is a rookie, and a lot to learn still, look at Raji, he wasn't a finished product his rookie year and had a lot to learn on the field.

Ta'amu has one of the same problem as Raji did... NT size/body but 3 technique DT attitude and playing style... the difference being Raji could get away with it because he's more talented, quicker and his shoulders aren't as wide. He hasn't played like a true NT because he hasn't had too, he's been asked to rush the passer more in college.

If he's asked to become more like a true NT then I think Ta'amu could become the new/young Pickett.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:07:50 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,892
Applause Received: 1,403

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
He's a NT.

And I don't really want him.

To be honest, I think the only reason that he was drafted was because of his body type. Just like with QBs, good NTs don't come around that often, while every 3-4 team needs one and a lot of 4-3 teams would like to have one. They get overdrafted.

He's not as good as advertised and from what I've seen and heared, he gets moved around way too easily for someone who's 360 and who's main job is to hold his ground. Couple that with him not being able to rush the passer to save his life and I'm not really excited about signing him to our team.

Rocky is my draft guru. If he says "no" that is good enough for me. ThumpUp

edit- and for DT's sake: he doesn't seem to be Packer People. Big Grin So that is 2 "NO's".
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Rockmolder  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:41:54 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Rocky is my draft guru. If he says "no" that is good enough for me. ThumpUp

edit- and for DT's sake: he doesn't seem to be Packer People. Big Grin So that is 2 "NO's".

I'm honored.

Beast makes a good point, though. Thing is, I don't know if he's good enough of a player to make that transition and be of any worth to us as a NT. He's obviously not good enough to play a 5-technique the way Pickett does and I don't see him master that position, either, long term. He offers about the same as Pickett in the pass rush department, but gets moved around way too easily for his size.

Something that's obviously an even bigger problem when you play NT.

He got exposed in his last year in college to a certain extent, which is the reason he was a 4th round pick rather than a 1st rounder. He was just someone they took a flyer on because it looked like there was some talent there in years before, even if his last year made him look more like a 7th rounder than a 1st rounder.

Obviously, the talent wasn't there. Teams don't just cut player for one incident if they're good enough. If he would've been of some use, he'd still be on that roster right now.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:10:48 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

He's free to sign with anyone now, btw, as he went unclaimed on waivers.
UserPostedImage
Offline doddpower  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:24:14 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,960
Applause Received: 471

I wouldn't mind giving him a shot, but I haven't paid any attention to him since he was drafted. I'd have to think he has a bit more potential than some of the folks on the have recently been on the Packers roster, practice squad, or injured reserve, like Johnny Jones, Lawrence Guy, et al. I know they all don't play the same position, but in terms of the potential to be a better football player, I would think he has a better chance. With that being said, the Steelers generally know what they're doing in terms of roster management. If they cut him, it's probably safe to say he currently isn't worth keeping for the Packers, either. Perhaps if he gets his head on straight and rededicates himself, but that's yet to be seen. I imagine a team that is more desperate for talent would pursue him much more than a team such as the Packers would. More desperate teams are generally more willing to take fliers on players because they have such a hard time finding it themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with the Patriots honestly, and then quickly finding his way to injured reserve. Basically, just like the RB Demps situation. It's perhaps shady, but it gives them until next off season and beyond to evaluate players and comes with very little risk.
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:51:00 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,892
Applause Received: 1,403

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
I'm honored.

Beast makes a good point, though. Thing is, I don't know if he's good enough of a player to make that transition and be of any worth to us as a NT. He's obviously not good enough to play a 5-technique the way Pickett does and I don't see him master that position, either, long term. He offers about the same as Pickett in the pass rush department, but gets moved around way too easily for his size.

Something that's obviously an even bigger problem when you play NT.

He got exposed in his last year in college to a certain extent, which is the reason he was a 4th round pick rather than a 1st rounder. He was just someone they took a flyer on because it looked like there was some talent there in years before, even if his last year made him look more like a 7th rounder than a 1st rounder.

Obviously, the talent wasn't there. Teams don't just cut player for one incident if they're good enough. If he would've been of some use, he'd still be on that roster right now.

Certainly Hank McCoy AKA

UserPostedImage

makes a good point. I am use to him using that keen insight and intellect to enlighten us. That said I am a little suspect of Ta'amu's abilities. Pittsburgh coaching staff usually knows what they are doing.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:12:09 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 288

First off the Steelers don't have the best OL, but they cut G/T Chris Scott and the Packers signed him to their practice squad just this year... and signed Kuhn in years past. So it wouldn't be totally surprise to see the Packers pick-up a former Steeler.

I think Ta'amu has the talent, he's just gotten a bit lazy lately (which if you follow NTs, isn't uncommon), remember NT Howard Green who helped the Packers win the Super Bowl, that's basically his whole career... getting in shape long enough to make the team, then falling out of shape.

Ta'amu early years in college weight got WAY up there and got way out of shape. Coaches got him and he got into a lot better shape and according to some looked like a 1st round NT (because he was a pass rushing 350 pound guy which often get over rated at the college level). Then he got senioritis his senior year of college and his stock and play when down... and rumored to report to the Steelers out of shape and over weight... then got into trouble...

My point being is there is a pattern with NTs... and Ta'amu fits in it... gets out of shape their first years until coaches get on them, then they get into shape, then when they think they're safe get out of shape if the coaches don't stay on them.

Ta'amu is very out of shape right now, and wants to act like a pass rushing DT in the pros (which he's not and his body size and play style won't let him be on a full time level) but you get coaches to get on him and stay on him, and I think he'll get into shape and start trying to level how to act and play like a run stuffer instead of the pass rushing DT which he was able to get away with in college (and his coaches might of asked him to do) but won't get away with in the pros.

At the very least I think a practice spot with close to full roster pay is worth it just to see if he has the potential going forward to keep around and see if he can stay out of trouble. Because if he can he could be a long term back-up to Raji or better... if he gets back into his really good shape he might be able to rotate other places as well and maybe help with the nickel package.

When he was in good shape his bull rush was much better than Pickett moves. Of course Pickett is much better run stuffer because Ta'amu doesn't know how to (yet).
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Pack93z  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:35:03 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,042

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage