dfosterf
11 years ago
I am paying the maximum allowable freight for this winner.

"Poor Kenny" in my wife's vernacular.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/11/kidnapper_gets_10_to_20_years.html 

She doesn't vote (my wife) I sense I wouldn't like it if she did.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

this was the 1st election i was able to vote in and i have a question..

I was explaining my thinking to a prof and it was a little like this:

Prof: on the eve of the election, give me a quick rundown of what you are thinking before you send in your ballot

ME:The problem is the gov is not taking in enough money to support these programs and whatever else it's spending on (infastrucure I assume). If we want to chip away our deficit, we need to either 'A' cut these programs down to an affordable level, or 'B' the gov needs to take in more money, which means higher taxes and additional revenue. when our defecit is down and we become profitable again, THEN taxes can go back down/ programs can recieve more funding."

I forgot to mention that there could be a happy middle between A and B, but you get the idea..

or am i over simplifing it? I have no loyalties to any party, and even debated in favor of getting rid of them altogether.

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

Yes and no, RajiRoar. If you are talking about a fixed pie of wealth, yes. The only way to get there is to spending cuts or tax increases. And therefore the entire question boils down to "who do you take from" (the rich, presumably) and "who do you give to" (presumably, not the rich).

But, and this is what people always seem to forget. The pie isn't necessarily fixed. It can either grow or shrink. If the economy grows, any given amount of spending (including debt payback) is "smaller" and more affordable and any given tax rate is going to collect more. On the other hand, if the economy falls, then you need bigger and bigger spending cuts and bigger and bigger tax increase.

Problem is, any tax increase tends to make the incentive to work and the incentive to invest in productive activity smaller. And if less people work and less is invested in productive activity, then the economy grows less or even shrinks.

No, DakotaT and vikesrule, I am not claiming that "rich" means "more productive". But the rich are the ones who decide whether to invest their money in productive enterprises or not. And the more you tax them, the less incentive they are going to have to play in the produce-and-grow game, and the more incentive they are going to have to spend their wealth in Paris Hilton-ish conspicuous consumption (almost completely worthless) or, worse, take it to Uruguay and Ecuador where it isn't as likely to be taken away.

And that means less growth, and less ability to pay the bills.

Of course, BO, never having had to be a real productive member of society, doesn't understand this.

If you want to improve society, your society has to put its wealth into productive activities like bee- and cattle-raising, steel and machine tool production, software engineering and new product development. And the only way that happens is if you given the people at that society the incentive to accumulate wealth by putting it into productive activity rather than non-productive activity.

Rather than give them more and more incentive to put their effort into the more or less non-productive activities of lawyers, college professors, grant writers, lobbying activists, and, of course, the most non-productive of all, politicians and government regulation drafters.

Other than perhaps, er, Sweden and France, the United States probably has a greater coefficient of correlation between the acquisition of "advanced degrees" and "total social ignorance" than any society in modern history.

Government is really good at printing and spending money. But it does very little to produce tradeable value that makes making more money a good thing. Money spent on steelworkers is productive. Money spent on government activity may be necessary. But it is not productive.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Porforis
11 years ago

Problem is, drug testing them all is cost prohibitive. FL found this out when trying to test for Welfare. Testing needs to be a random spot check. Do like the military. Determine who gets sampled by first and last digit of SSN, and only test a portion of those being sampled.

Also a mandatory work program of low paying jobs for those who are capable of working. Let businesses apply for workers. Those workers get paid, and for every dollar they earn working, their government check is reduced 75 cents.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Interesting idea there, although the only businesses that would apply would likely be those that already have very low wages and high turnover like low-skill factory work. Even then, you've got to imagine that they've got no shortage of resumes and would prefer to hire people that voluntarily applied for that specific job. But I still like the general idea, not sure how well it'd work and how hard it'd hit employment agencies but still a decent idea.

I worked a month or so in a factory (Making bread, slicing some into croutons, bagging, shipping), and I can tell you that it was a VERY crappy job and even for a person like me with a lot of work ethic and is pretty self-motivated, it was very hard to give a shit. The wages weren't too terrible (like $10/hour, about 6 years ago) but definitely not a job for everyone.
dfosterf
11 years ago
I don't feel like I am owed anything by anyone.

I also feel I am in the minority.

PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

Interesting idea there, although the only businesses that would apply would likely be those that already have very low wages and high turnover like low-skill factory work. Even then, you've got to imagine that they've got no shortage of resumes and would prefer to hire people that voluntarily applied for that specific job. But I still like the general idea, not sure how well it'd work and how hard it'd hit employment agencies but still a decent idea.

I worked a month or so in a factory (Making bread, slicing some into croutons, bagging, shipping), and I can tell you that it was a VERY crappy job and even for a person like me with a lot of work ethic and is pretty self-motivated, it was very hard to give a shit. The wages weren't too terrible (like $10/hour, about 6 years ago) but definitely not a job for everyone.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I would start by targeting the jobs the illegals work. I always hear, Oh working in the fields and are food prices would increase without them. Problem with that lie is only about 4% of illegals working agriculture. Something like 40-50% of illegals work in construction and service work.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
zombieslayer
11 years ago

I have a family of four living in my dead son's bedroom. I am paying for all the groceries, they live here rent free, do all their laundry here, etc. etc. etc. The two parents are sucking on the gov't tit. I rarely see either of them before 1PM

I just bought dad 4 new tires for his pos SUV, via my wife and Tire Rack, plus her lying to me as to who bought.

I am also paying for an incarcerated bud of my son. We give him his $$$ for his commisary, and will continue to do so for the next 10-20 years. His conviction just came down, and we paid for the two years prior, same thing. (Commisary)

I am, in effect, supporting three highly dysfunctional families. I speak largely of their PARENTS.

I asked dad who he voted for. Obama. I asked his dad who he voted for (His dad does NOTHING in this equation) Obama I asked Mom who she voted for Obama (Again, nothing) I asked her mom who she voted for obama I asked Dad's mom who she voted for Obama (Does nothing) I asked mom's dad who he voted for (Does nothing) Obama I asked incarcerated for kidnapping his drug dealer's mom and leaving her to die in the trunk of her own car and thank you Lord for the US Marshalls and GPS otherwise dead mom's abandoned her son who she voted for, (Does nothing) Obama.

I joined the Marines because I was lazy in high school and was too embarrased to go to my dad and ask him to send me to college. It didn't seem right to me, I had not earned it.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Well, amigo, we just found your problem. You surround yourself (for whatever reason) with highly dysfunctional people. So you think they're the majority.

They're NOT. The majority of people are functional and actually pretty interesting and intelligent.

If I were you, I'd kick that family out and look for a new set of friends, preferably ones that are self-sufficient, motivated, and FUNCTIONAL.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

I'm really getting sick and tired of being called stupid by you assholes. I worked in taxation for twenty years and still do it part time. When I say the wealthy have circumvented the tax code for their own personal gain at the expense of the middle class and poor, just accept that I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

We differ in ideology. Any person that says human kindness can replace taxation is fucking mook. I believe the time has come to gut the wealthy, not only because they deserve it, but also because it is necessary because that is where the money is.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Not just the tax code. ANY regulation and government intervention. A big part of the reason we see big business controlling more and more of everything is that unlike those little guys and average middle class types (i.e. the productive part of any society), the rich of big business can afford $500/hour lobbyists and 1000/hour lawyers to make sure that the Treasury regulations and EPA rules and all the rest don't get in their way. Oh, you might see them putting their CEOs on TV to whine about government involvement, but dig into their financials and you discover that the amount of their annual budget going to executive compensation is *dwarfed* by the amount they spend on getting the right rules through various government rule-making bodies.

That's probably reason #2 why I'm an anarchist, not a conservative. I believe to the heart of my soul that virtually ANY policy, when it moves past the "isn't this a great idea?" stage into "how best do we implement this great idea?" will be manipulated by those who the rich hire to control the implementation rules.

In general, lawyers get paid more depending on how much they can "win" for their clients. And the rich are always going to have the most expensive lawyers.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

I don't feel like I am owed anything by anyone.

I also feel I am in the minority.

Of course none of us think we owe you anything either. [grin1] [ass]

Kidding, of course. We do owe you and your fellows a lot.

Belated happy Veterans Day, Marine.

dfosterf
11 years ago

Well, amigo, we just found your problem. You surround yourself (for whatever reason) with highly dysfunctional people. So you think they're the majority.

They're NOT. The majority of people are functional and actually pretty interesting and intelligent.

If I were you, I'd kick that family out and look for a new set of friends, preferably ones that are self-sufficient, motivated, and FUNCTIONAL.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I don't surround myself with anything. My wife does. The family of 4 consists of:

My dead son's former fiance'
My dead son's daughter
Her new boyfriend
Their new child

Imagine, if you can, a grandmother with an only-son that is dead. The grand-daughter is absolutely adorable, and the only hope for it is YOU.

That's what I got.

Since it's all costing me about 5 times what I actually earn at the Home Depot, shouldn't I get one of these entitlement plans also? I work damn near full-time there, (they cut me back every 3 months for a week to under 28 hrs to maintain the illusion of part-time) and way past the Obamacare definition of full-time.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

I don't surround myself with anything. My wife does. The family of 4 consists of:

My dead son's former fiance'
My dead son's daughter
Her new boyfriend
Their new child

Imagine, if you can, a grandmother with an only-son that is dead. The grand-daughter is absolutely adorable, and the only hope for it is YOU.

That's what I got.

Since it's all costing me about 5 times what I actually earn at the Home Depot, shouldn't I get one of these entitlement plans also? I work damn near full-time there, (they cut me back every 3 months for a week to under 28 hrs to maintain the illusion of part-time) and way past the Obamacare definition of full-time.

Sorry Foster. Had no idea.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷