Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*132/favre121208.jpg[/img_r]Florham Park, N.J. - Sometimes it is more fun to not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

And Brett Favre being painted as the savior of the New York Jets is a tale as grand as the Empire State Building.

After his dramatic unretirement last summer and then the training camp trade to the Jets, it is easy to deduce that the 8-5 Jets are in a three-way tie for first place in the AFC East with Miami and New England because of one man.

Since Favre is never one to back away from a challenge, there is no doubt among the players and coaches this week at the new Atlantic Health Jets Training Center that his presence is indeed a major factor for New York's success.

But the truth? Or at least the whole story?

Well, the Jets have saved Brett Favre as much as he has saved them.

"Brett just came in and fit in perfectly with the team," running back Thomas Jones said.

Most coaches would give up eye teeth for a tough, durable running back. The Jets have two.

Jones (1,144 rushing yards), formerly of the Chicago Bears, and Leon Washington (327) provide a steady running attack for the Jets. Jones is the workhorse, the fourth-ranked rusher in the National Football League, gaining an average of 4.7 yards per carry. Washington is good for 5.2 yards per carry while also serving as a dynamic kick and punt returner.

"Guys like Leon Washington and Thomas Jones, those guys are having tremendous, career years," right tackle Damien Woody said. "So people that know football and watch us, they know it's not just about Brett. It's about a lot of other guys that are playing at a high level."

The offensive line features four first-round draft picks: Center Nick Mangold and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson (both in 2006), left guard Alan Faneca (1998) and Woody (1999), with right guard Brandon Moore the only non-first-rounder of the group. Faneca and Woody fortified the line as free-agent acquisitions for the Jets last spring.

Perhaps most significant, they've played together all year, not one of them missing a game.

The Jets also have a stout front line on their 3-4 defense, led by another big free agent, Kris Jenkins (brother of Green Bay's Cullen Jenkins). Their fourth-ranked rushing defense, holding opponents to 83.5 yards per game, no doubt benefits because opponents have preferred to beat the Jets' 31st-ranked passing defense, but December and the playoffs are the times good teams want to run.

Then there's the locker room in general. Favre hasn't been on a good team this experienced since the 2004 season, before free agency ravaged the Packers of some good older players.

A roomful of ringers
[ul]It's not as if the younger Jets have to look only to Favre for crunch-time, playoff leadership. They do, but they can also go to Faneca (Super Bowl XL champion with Pittsburgh) and Woody (New England Super Bowl titles in 2001 and '03). Or Ty Law, who was on three New England Super Bowl championship teams, or Jenkins, who played in the Super Bowl for the Carolina Panthers, who lost to the Patriots. Or linebacker Eric Barton, who was on the Oakland Raiders' 2003 Super Bowl team, or Jones, who played for the Chicago Bears' Super Bowl team. Jones is the vocal leader.

Fullback Tony Richardson is a three-time Pro Bowl player. Top receivers Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery and defensive end Shaun Ellis are all veterans.

Fifteen of the 53 players are 30 years old or older.

"I think that's the joy of the team, that it's not just a handful of guys" who are leaders, Mangold said. "The guys that we have here have done a great job of not so much forcing what they've done in the past but kind of teaching from (their experiences), which is very helpful."

The Jets and Favre were simply astonishing in victories at New England and at Tennessee, but they also benefited from a favorable schedule at times, playing Kansas City and St. Louis in the middle of their five-game winning streak. The schedule is ranked 30th by Sagarin in USA Today.

Still, the Jets fly beneath the radar here. Baseball dominated the front pages, news clips and talk radio topics all this week and locals say that is not uncommon, even when there isn't news or trades. The defending Super Bowl champion Giants are also the focus of more attention.

"I know. I know," said tight end Chris Baker, who has played here since 2002 and also grew up in Queens. "How do we fit in the grand scheme of New York? It's something you kind of get used to."

When Favre was traded to New York four months ago, it was hard not to wonder whether this would end in disaster. Missing some of training camp and reporting late, Favre could have walked into a clubhouse of has-beens and unknowns and gone down with a repeat of the 4-12 season the Jets had a year ago. The New York media machine might have chewed him up and spat him out in assigning blame.

It was a risk and challenge Favre was willing accept.
[/ul]
Big man in the Big Apple
[ul]Instead, he's the biggest star in town, when Plaxico Burress isn't shooting himself and the New York Yankees aren't spending unfathomable amounts of money. Although Favre has had a solid 18th season - even great in some stretches, like his six-touchdown performance against Arizona - it would be inaccurate to say he's the reason the Jets are eyeing the playoffs.

There's too much talent to go around for just one man to get all the credit. Favre was just the most visible leader to help pull it all together.

"From the moment I met him, I knew one thing: He was committed to winning," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. "And that he wanted to win, no matter if it was him throwing 50 times or handing it off every play."[/ul]

It's not a solo act? BS! We all know that it is ALL because of Brett! He plays offense, defense AND special teams and when he has a spare second he also does some coaching. Check it out....
Jets 4 wins no Brett
Packers 13 wins with Brett

Jets 8 wins with Brett
Packers 5 wins no Brett

IT MUST BE ALL BRETT LORENZO FAVRE!!! No other factors come into to paly with such FACTUAL information!!!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
Zero......there you go again!
SHAME ON YOU BRINGING FACTUAL INFORMATION INTO THE ARGUMENT!!!
Don't let it bother you though........anything like that will be ignored by those that would gain the most by taking the article to heart!
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
this story will be labeled as bogus and the reporter will be called a Aaron Rodgers hero worshiper
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.