Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081210&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81210150&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]By many measures, Aaron Rodgers is having a good first season as a starting NFL quarterback.

With only three games left in the regular season, he ranks No. 8 in the NFL in passer rating (92.1 points), is fifth in touchdown passes (22) and has a solid 2-1 ratio of touchdown passes to interceptions.

However, the Packers are 5-8 a year after playing in the NFC championship game, and theres one critical accomplishment Rodgers hasnt attained engineering a late scoring drive for a win in the five games in which hes had such a chance.

Those late-game failings arent solely Rodgers Mason Crosby missed a potential game-winning field goal against Minnesota, and the defense gave up a last-drive score to Carolina.

But in a league in which close games are common, this is a major step Rodgers and the Packers must take to become a title contender in the near future. To go anywhere in the NFL, teams must have faith their quarterback has a good chance of pulling out a game at the end.

I think that would be huge, Packers receiver Ruvell Martin, a close friend of Rodgers, said of a late game-winning drive.

Shoot, weve been in that situation four or five times this year and its always gone the other way. That would be huge as a team, for us, for the fans. That would probably be one of the greatest feelings ever. I think it would help everybody, its what we need right now.

In losses to Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Minnesota, Carolina and last week to Houston, they had the ball while tied or behind with less than 5 minutes left and a chance to win. They didnt pull out any of them; if theyd won just two, theyd be 7-6 and still in the thick of the NFC North Division race.

Quarterbacks are judged on their won-loss record above all else, and pulling out a majority of late-decided games can have a profound affect on that record. Among those five games, Rodgers made bad decisions on late-game interceptions against Tampa Bay and Carolina, had the missed field goal against Minnesota, failed to sustain the drive against Tennessee and had some bad luck against the Texans.

In college at California, Rodgers didnt have many games that came down to a late possession, though he remembers two well.

Against Virginia Tech in the Insight Bowl in 2003, he took Cal from its 35-yard line to inside Virginia Techs 20 for game-winning field goal as time expired in a 52-49 win.

A 23-17 loss to top-ranked USC in 2004, when he moved Cal to a first-and-goal at the 9 with less than 2 minutes to play but was sacked and threw three incompletions to end the possession.

A lot of goals I set, Im close to as far as statistically, Rodgers said Wednesday. But the most important goals are team goals, and being 5-8 is tough to deal with. Its tough to go to sleep at night, I dont sleep much. I hate the weeks after a loss and just cant wait to get back to Sunday. Thats been the most difficult part, laying in bed at night thinking about the plays I didnt make and could have made and felt like I should have made.

Rodgers must especially be bothered by the last two close losses to Carolina and Houston with the Packers' playoff hopes on the line.

Against Carolina, he took the Packers on a long drive that ended with a field goal that put them ahead 31-28 with 1:57 left, only to watch the Packers defense give up a lightning quick touchdown. The failure to punch the ball in from Carolinas 1 on back-to-back runs on the field-goal drive was a killer, and then his second-down interception with 1:09 left wiped out the Packers last-ditch drive.

Against Houston last week, he had the Packers in position for the go-ahead field goal with 3:02 remaining, but a questionable holding call on tackle Tony Moll and then a sack took the Packers out of field-goal range.

You want the ball in your hand at the end of the game, Rodgers said. Thats what you grew up watching on TV, and dreaming about Saturday nights at the hotel (now), the opportunity to win the game. Weve had our opportunities, havent done it, so its disappointing. Thats why I take that squarely on my shoulders.

Coach Mike McCarthys play calling in two of those games, at Minnesota and against Carolina, raised the issue of how much confidence he has in his first-year starter with the game on the line.

Against the Vikings, on a day when the offensive line was doing a poor job in pass protection, McCarthy called two running plays after the Packers got on the fringe of field-goal range on their final drive.

Against Carolina, he ran the ball on second and third downs from the 1, instead of putting the ball in Rodgers hands on either play, and ended up kicking the go-ahead field goal rather than getting a touchdown that would have put the Packers ahead by seven points.

McCarthy said Wednesday his play calling shows a great faith in Rodgers in all circumstances.

There hasnt been spots in games where I've had to, as a play caller, look in (Rodgers) eyes and go in a different direction, McCarthy said. That has not happened yet. I have been in that position before (as a coach). I know what it feels like, I know what it looks like. I havent experienced that with Aaron Rodgers.

UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081210&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81210150&Ref=Aaron Rodgers&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]By many measures, Aaron Rodgers is having a good first season as a starting NFL quarterback.

With only three games left in the regular season, he ranks No. 8 in the NFL in passer rating (92.1 points), is fifth in touchdown passes (22) and has a solid 2-1 ratio of touchdown passes to interceptions.

However, the Packers are 5-8 a year after playing in the NFC championship game, and theres one critical accomplishment Rodgers hasnt attained engineering a late scoring drive for a win in the five games in which hes had such a chance.

Those late-game failings arent solely Rodgers Mason Crosby missed a potential game-winning field goal against Minnesota, and the defense gave up a last-drive score to Carolina.

But in a league in which close games are common, this is a major step Rodgers and the Packers must take to become a title contender in the near future. To go anywhere in the NFL, teams must have faith their quarterback has a good chance of pulling out a game at the end.

I think that would be huge, Packers receiver Ruvell Martin, a close friend of Rodgers, said of a late game-winning drive.

Shoot, weve been in that situation four or five times this year and its always gone the other way. That would be huge as a team, for us, for the fans. That would probably be one of the greatest feelings ever. I think it would help everybody, its what we need right now.

In losses to Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Minnesota, Carolina and last week to Houston, they had the ball while tied or behind with less than 5 minutes left and a chance to win. They didnt pull out any of them; if theyd won just two, theyd be 7-6 and still in the thick of the NFC North Division race.

Quarterbacks are judged on their won-loss record above all else, and pulling out a majority of late-decided games can have a profound affect on that record. Among those five games, Rodgers made bad decisions on late-game interceptions against Tampa Bay and Carolina, had the missed field goal against Minnesota, failed to sustain the drive against Tennessee and had some bad luck against the Texans.

In college at California, Rodgers didnt have many games that came down to a late possession, though he remembers two well.

Against Virginia Tech in the Insight Bowl in 2003, he took Cal from its 35-yard line to inside Virginia Techs 20 for game-winning field goal as time expired in a 52-49 win.

A 23-17 loss to top-ranked USC in 2004, when he moved Cal to a first-and-goal at the 9 with less than 2 minutes to play but was sacked and threw three incompletions to end the possession.

A lot of goals I set, Im close to as far as statistically, Rodgers said Wednesday. But the most important goals are team goals, and being 5-8 is tough to deal with. Its tough to go to sleep at night, I dont sleep much. I hate the weeks after a loss and just cant wait to get back to Sunday. Thats been the most difficult part, laying in bed at night thinking about the plays I didnt make and could have made and felt like I should have made.

Rodgers must especially be bothered by the last two close losses to Carolina and Houston with the Packers' playoff hopes on the line.

Against Carolina, he took the Packers on a long drive that ended with a field goal that put them ahead 31-28 with 1:57 left, only to watch the Packers defense give up a lightning quick touchdown. The failure to punch the ball in from Carolinas 1 on back-to-back runs on the field-goal drive was a killer, and then his second-down interception with 1:09 left wiped out the Packers last-ditch drive.

Against Houston last week, he had the Packers in position for the go-ahead field goal with 3:02 remaining, but a questionable holding call on tackle Tony Moll and then a sack took the Packers out of field-goal range.

You want the ball in your hand at the end of the game, Rodgers said. Thats what you grew up watching on TV, and dreaming about Saturday nights at the hotel (now), the opportunity to win the game. Weve had our opportunities, havent done it, so its disappointing. Thats why I take that squarely on my shoulders.

Coach Mike McCarthys play calling in two of those games, at Minnesota and against Carolina, raised the issue of how much confidence he has in his first-year starter with the game on the line.

Against the Vikings, on a day when the offensive line was doing a poor job in pass protection, McCarthy called two running plays after the Packers got on the fringe of field-goal range on their final drive.

Against Carolina, he ran the ball on second and third downs from the 1, instead of putting the ball in Rodgers hands on either play, and ended up kicking the go-ahead field goal rather than getting a touchdown that would have put the Packers ahead by seven points.

McCarthy said Wednesday his play calling shows a great faith in Rodgers in all circumstances.

There hasnt been spots in games where I've had to, as a play caller, look in (Rodgers) eyes and go in a different direction, McCarthy said. That has not happened yet. I have been in that position before (as a coach). I know what it feels like, I know what it looks like. I havent experienced that with Aaron Rodgers.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Geez i remember saying that in a few threads and people jumped me for it, saying its all about the passer rating. After reading this i kept shaking my head and agreeing but i didnt know he was 1-2 in college in those situations so he is 1-7 all time not a good sign. But at the end i started feeling sorry for the guy, but hey when you get paid the huge bucks you need to produce wins. It was a good post Zero and i won't jump all over it because pretty much what i have been saying all along is right there in green and white. He needs a final drive win to try and give his team confidence.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
he has won a close game. several, actually. then, the defense has lost it for us. i said it before, asking a guy to score a game winning TD twice in the same game is a very tall order.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago

he has won a close game. several, actually. then, the defense has lost it for us. i said it before, asking a guy to score a game winning TD twice in the same game is a very tall order.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Ummmm according to the article he hasn't can you please point out these wins to me. We only have 5 wins this year so you don't have alot to choose from sorry. Did you read the article even his close buddy said he needs a drive to give the team some confidence.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081210&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81210150&Ref=Aaron Rodgers&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]By many measures, Aaron Rodgers is having a good first season as a starting NFL quarterback.

"dhazer" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Geez i remember saying that in a few threads and people jumped me for it, saying its all about the passer rating. After reading this i kept shaking my head and agreeing but i didnt know he was 1-2 in college in those situations so he is 1-7 all time not a good sign. But at the end i started feeling sorry for the guy, but hey when you get paid the huge bucks you need to produce wins. It was a good post Zero and i won't jump all over it because pretty much what i have been saying all along is right there in green and white. He needs a final drive win to try and give his team confidence.

and we said the exact same thing that he says

those are at least 2 wins as the article states

You, I and others are correct in our opinions, its just that some can't accept the fact that the D hasnt held up its bargain

Ask this

Why is it that you expect Rodgers to do his job ( which is to get a game winning drive)

But yet will NOT ACKNOWLEDGE that the D has not done it's job?
brnt247
15 years ago
Durrr, because a duh cuarterbackk is the onlyy one who can win da games for duh teammmm..
blank
Greg C.
15 years ago
I think Rodgers has mostly been the victim of bad luck, and he will have his success winning games in the final minutes. But until then, there will be a question mark hanging over him. That's okay. It will just give him extra motivation to prove the doubters wrong.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

Ummmm according to the article he hasn't can you please point out these wins to me. We only have 5 wins this year so you don't have alot to choose from sorry. Did you read the article even his close buddy said he needs a drive to give the team some confidence.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

pretty sure you get my point.
UserPostedImage
JOHNN
15 years ago

I think Rodgers has mostly been the victim of bad luck, and he will have his success winning games in the final minutes. But until then, there will be a question mark hanging over him. That's okay. It will just give him extra motivation to prove the doubters wrong.

"Greg C." wrote:

I agree +1
blank
15 years ago
I must say that I do like how the criticisms of Rodgers are being narrowed down. I think this is the last bastion the critics have left, and that mainly because of the defense, and one kick. Still, before the year people were wondering if he could handle the pressure, and if he could perform at an NFL level, and if he was tough enough, if he could win big games vs. tough opponents or division rivals, etc. etc..

I'm glad to see the criticism has been whittled down to this little situational thing. He'll make it happen. I'm not worried. Being able to play well and improvise and make outstanding throws and then not being able to lead a late 4th quarter drive isn't rational at all - it's more like a curse. And it's been less than one year.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.