play2win
11 years ago

Again, I see people putting words in Finley's mouth based off what a journalist said, rather than his own words. This is why I hate reporters/journalists, etc ... they have no accountability at all.

An athlete will give two answers when asked about how's the best at their position. 1. Themselves (this is common) 2. They'll list off several who they HOPE to one day be mentioned in the same breath.

Like I said before, he's not worth the money, but he's not anywhere near as bad as some make him out to be. He's a talented player who is too open and choose words poorly and lacks professionalism on the field. He is not worth even $5 million a year, in my own personal ignorant opinion.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Well, I've been a pretty huge fan of this team my whole life, just like yourself. I've read the clips, listened to the interviews, seen the plays, etc. Add all the stuff up and what do you get?

A couple years ago he was outright proclaiming that he wasn't getting enough balls thrown his way. Then he gets injured. Then he is all YOTTO. Then he is ripping the team on the photo deal PRIOR to the SB being played, causing a distraction. Then it is YOTTO2, and what does he do? Shits the bed. More PR problems in the offseason/preseason with the lip and his agent. More shitting the bed THIS year. More public comments distracting the focus of the team...

What is it? Am I missing something? Because I sure would like to see him do well for the Packers.
play2win
11 years ago
Here, look at this, and just replace the name "Walker" with "Finley":

"The Packers traded Walker, who had threatened to retire rather than play for the team in 2006, to the Denver Broncos for a second-round pick. The Broncos and Walker agreed to parameters for a six-year contract extension, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said.

"He's a great competitor," Shanahan said. "He has great speed, great size, very physical. He can turn a short gain into a big play. Very good blocker in the running game. That's one of the guys that I look at and call a complete receiver." Shanahan said the team was "fairly close" to agreeing on a new deal. "We've got the parameters of an agreement," Shanahan said. "It's basically going to be in that six-year time frame. Obviously, there's no contract being signed but we we've talked and we're fairly close."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-04-29-walker-trade_x.htm 

I would not mind seeing him traded for either picks or a player. Addition by subtraction. Won't happen though. McCarthy loves him.

Do I want to see Finley being a success in Green Bay? Absolutely. But, c'mon! Let's see it!!! How long do we let this ride?
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
IMO, PFT has turned into a bunch of trolls. So I tend to discount everything they say just like I discount everything the ESPN trolls say (there are only two reasons for watching ESPN now. One's called Hannah. The other's called Sage).

And I have no doubt that in general the media is exaggerating Finley's "unhappiness"/"criticism". I take that as a given.

I am starting to wonder if he's another Javon Walker, though. (Anyone know what Finley did on the Wonderlic?) Walker's biggest problem wasn't that he was a malcontent; his problem seemed to be that he wasn't smart enough to keep from saying things the jackals found it easy to manipulate. And I am starting to think Finley may have the same problem.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Here, look at this, and just replace the name "Walker" with "Finley":

"The Packers traded Walker, who had threatened to retire rather than play for the team in 2006, to the Denver Broncos for a second-round pick. The Broncos and Walker agreed to parameters for a six-year contract extension, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said.

"He's a great competitor," Shanahan said. "He has great speed, great size, very physical. He can turn a short gain into a big play. Very good blocker in the running game. That's one of the guys that I look at and call a complete receiver." Shanahan said the team was "fairly close" to agreeing on a new deal. "We've got the parameters of an agreement," Shanahan said. "It's basically going to be in that six-year time frame. Obviously, there's no contract being signed but we we've talked and we're fairly close."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-04-29-walker-trade_x.htm 

I would not mind seeing him traded for either picks or a player. Addition by subtraction. Won't happen though. McCarthy loves him.

Do I want to see Finley being a success in Green Bay? Absolutely. But, c'mon! Let's see it!!! How long do we let this ride?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Argh. Beat me to it, play2win! =d>

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
11 years ago
Do I want Finley on my team... yes I do. He creates matchup issues.. if he is playing well (ie Catching the ball) he is even more effective.

Do I want him to zip the lip in terms of talking about the locker room type comments.. certainly.

I think Mike McCarthy or better yet, Rodgers, should camp out at his locker this week, haul him into a meeting room and deal with this.

How does it affect the locker room? No Idea.. probably never will.

But Finley is a blowhard.. best way to deal with a blowhard in my opinion. Pay little attention to their words.. and kill them with it.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago
The guy has to much talent to let go. I'm still standing by that. Remember, last year was the first year he started all 16 games and frankly played great other than the self preclaimed drops. 55 sum odd catches with 8 TDs. Which i'm not knocking we could of used him in the playoffs.

Name one TE in this division who is better? Pettigrew? Rudolf? Kellen Davis?! Are you kidding me?
And the last 2 years NFLs top tier TE's aren't exactly playing up to smuff this year. And I agree that doesn't excuse poor play..
But his Finley guy isn't half bad. You're weighing him to much on talking.. And honestly IMO the guy doesn't talk as much as you think.
Slow down the talk about getting rid of him till the offseason hits. Because you can make cases besides Jones and Cobb that the recieving core as a WHOLE isn't playing good enough.

And I hate being nastly biased and mean to the fan bases, so I aplogize for this...

STOP. BLAMING. ONE. PLAYER.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Well, I've been a pretty huge fan of this team my whole life, just like yourself. I've read the clips, listened to the interviews, seen the plays, etc. Add all the stuff up and what do you get?

A couple years ago he was outright proclaiming that he wasn't getting enough balls thrown his way. Then he gets injured. Then he is all YOTTO. Then he is ripping the team on the photo deal PRIOR to the SB being played, causing a distraction. Then it is YOTTO2, and what does he do? Shits the bed. More PR problems in the offseason/preseason with the lip and his agent. More shitting the bed THIS year. More public comments distracting the focus of the team...

What is it? Am I missing something? Because I sure would like to see him do well for the Packers.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Nick Barnett and Finley were both excluded (initially) from the team photo. Damn right they are going to be upset. Should they go about it publicly like Barnett did and then Finley? No.

We got hurt playing for the team. Its not like we got injury bs’in around. And its a team rule! Shame . . . I never trip abt anything, but the way IR players are getting treated not cool… I guess its what have u done for me lately!

Jermichael Finley wrote:

You and I and anyone would be pissed off and HURT by this. The issue was taking it public instead of in house.

As I said before, a lot of the things people use against him are slanted and taken out of context. I do read the interviews, I do watch them and I do listen to the questions asked. I stand firm on my opinion. He is NOT as bad as some make him out to be. He's a very immature 25 year old male who has a lot of talent.

I gave him sort of a pass last season for the drops for reasons mentioned already. I have no more reasoning with him this year and his drops, none. You want the ball, you want chemistry, catch the ball. I couldn't careless about the things he says because the Players and Coaches publicly state they like his passion. If they are okay with it, whatever. I just want production from his hands, not his showboating after catching a 12 yard pass on 2nd down when the team is losing.

Last season he had lots of drops, but also 8 TD's and over 50 catches... good numbers, but if you can't cut your drops in half the following season ... there is a problem and it shouldn't be costing the Packers $8 million.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

But Finley is a blowhard.. best way to deal with a blowhard in my opinion. Pay little attention to their words.. and kill them with it.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Those seeking something to write about know he lacks a filter on his mouth so they seek him out repeatedly for a sound bite. Then we fans bite their slant hook line sinker. How many fans actually take the time to read the transcript if available or listen to the entire interview, questions as well? Fractional at best.

UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

Last season he had lots of drops, but also 8 TD's and over 50 catches... good numbers, but if you can't cut your drops in half the following season ... there is a problem and it shouldn't be costing the Packers $8 million.

James Jones over the last couple years droped balls and they still brought him back last year. Why not give Finley a chance? Obviously Jones is making most of his oppurtunity this year. Who's to say Finley can't rebound in a young 2012 season? No ones lobbying to get JJ out anymore are they?
Pack93z
11 years ago

Those seeking something to write about know he lacks a filter on his mouth so they seek him out repeatedly for a sound bite. Then we fans bite their slant hook line sinker. How many fans actually take the time to read the transcript if available or listen to the entire interview, questions as well? Fractional at best.

Completely agreed. He is a fun loving type.. but exactly he has no filter. So, in effect, what I am saying is talk about things outside of the locker room. Hell talk about anything other than the relationships within the locker room. Especially after his dumbass agent stepped in shit a couple weeks ago.

He talks a ton.. so be it. He just needs to choose his topics with more care. IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"