beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

I wonder if they're comfortable with Ryan Picket or Jerel Worthy at nose if something happens to Raji. That probably left Muir expendable.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Pickett best role/position is NT. So I don't know why they wouldn't be comfortable with him there as long as he's healthy. The reason he's not playing there is because Raji is better there and has more pass rush which is nice up the middle.

Also another reason they probably choose to let Muir go is because he couldn't handle double teams in the run game. He'd got pushed back often in two games against double teams.

UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago
I guess the whole NT thing is a bit of a mind bender, for me. I was for Muir sticking with the team, simply for NT depth. What I failed to realize, is they are probably going to use less of Pick & Raji together, with Pick playing more DE/DT like he has been the past few years. Maybe Pick & Raji work in rotation now at NT, with the other additions rotating alongside.

Really do not get keeping 5 RBs, and Brad Jones at LB. ??? Crazy. If all you are keeping Jones for is STs, why not keep Gurley, a player with far more STs potential? I don't get that at all.

Roster still in flux though, and I feel confident that they will get it worked out.
beast
  • beast
11 years ago

I guess the whole NT thing is a bit of a mind bender, for me. I was for Muir sticking with the team, simply for NT depth. What I failed to realize, is they are probably going to use less of Pick & Raji together, with Pick playing more DE/DT like he has been the past few years. Maybe Pick & Raji work in rotation now at NT, with the other additions rotating alongside.

Really do not get keeping 5 RBs, and Brad Jones at LB. ??? Crazy. If all you are keeping Jones for is STs, why not keep Gurley, a player with far more STs potential? I don't get that at all.

Roster still in flux though, and I feel confident that they will get it worked out.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Yeah the coaches said they're going to run more nickel and dime which I'm assuming means more 2 DL fronts. In that front it's a pass rush position (Picketts weakness) and they'll probably be playing Raji/Worthy/Daniels/Merling there more if they can. And that could save Pickett for the 3-4 weather it's NT or DE.

As far as the RBs and LBs numbers I think that all had to do with injuries.

They kept 4 RBs (and a FB) and Starks is injured, so it's 3 RBs and Saine keeps getting hurt and hasn't played much, so it's 2 RBs that have proven to stay healthy in training camp, which is a light number, which is why they kept 2 more though they haven't proven to stay healthy.

At ILB they kept 5... BUT Lattimore(ankle) and Francois(hamstring) are hurt, so they kept another guy with potential (Manning) but Manning looked lost at times even in that last game, I think he's still trying to learn the system.

Jones on the other hand might be a one game spot holder for Walden, but he also has practiced and played at both ILB and OLB and knows the system. So he might be the ILB back-up for game one. And then get cut for Walden... and Manning will become the back-up if Lattimore of Francois aren't healthy by then.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago

My thoughts...

I don’t get Andrew Quarless and Brandon Saine, but Packer fans love these guys.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I only half-way like Saine because he has the most speed of the Packer's running backs, by far. I suppose I hope he can be coached up in other areas. The Packer's don't have much speed from top to bottom, so it's nice to see someone with some ability there. Obviously the Packer's agree, as he was good enough to make it through the first round of cuts. I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut at some point thought.

Re: Quarless: I don't agree that he's a "poor mans Crabtree" at all. Quarless is much faster, and Crabtree is a a better blocker. Quarless has (had?) more raw physical ability than Crabtree, but Crabtree gets more out of what he has. Again, it's a potential thing with the hope that the coaches can bring out the best in him. Considering the severity of his injury, he should probably go back on IR and prepare for one last run for the roster next season. I remember reading reports that Quarless was quickly becoming the best blocking tight end on the roster leading up to his injury. I'm not a huge fan of him, but if he realizes his full potential, there's no question he could be much better than Crabtree. Crabtree is a very marginal talent, to me, who is likely kept around for his blocking ability, which is valuable with a weak left side of the offensive line. No defense is going to be seriously concerned about his receiving ability or fear him stretching the defense. If he's in a game, they're going to allow him to get some catches underneath because they know he's not a serious threat to beat them. Honestly, I'm surprised he keeps making the roster, especially with a guy like Taylor making it as well.

But as I said, I don't see Quarless being able to contribute at all this season, and he may never be the same after his injury. Hopefully he goes to IR and makes the most of his last chance to make the roster in 2013.

beast
  • beast
11 years ago

It works for me that they didn't pick anyone up.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

According to some of the writers on twitter, no one claimed a Packer on waivers ether (they would have to cut one of their 53 and put that player on the 53 man roster).

BUT Vikings did sign WR Gurley to their practice squad.

Packers signed

T Andrew Datko (6-6, 315)

WR Diondre Borel (6-0, 199)

RB Marc Tyler (5-11, 230)

DE Lawrence Guy (6-4, 304)

TE Brandon Bostick (6-3, 245)

OL Greg Van Roten (6-3, 303)

QB B.J. Coleman (6-3, 231)

This article  wrote:

Edit: One more to go...
UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago
I'm glad to see Coleman back. I think he could take the backup job from Harrell as soon as next season. I like his arm strength. I suppose it will come down to the mental aspect for him.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

The Green Bay Packers will probably make some waiver claims this morning, which will change the make-up of the 53-man roster they assembled on Friday, but here are the initial surprises.

Brandon Saine, running back — You could throw the oft-injured James Starks in this category too, but Saine played even less than Starks during the preseason. First, it was a surprise the Packers kept four running backs — five, if you count fullback John Kuhn. Second, it was a surprise Saine was one of them.

Jarrett Boykin, receiver — If you look strictly at his play, it’s no surprise at all the Packers kept Boykin. If you look at the odds, it’s a big one. Boykin is an undrafted rookie. He beat out the more highly-touted Diondre Borel and Tori Gurley for the Packers sixth receiver spot. Throw in the fact that the Packers don’t usually keep six receivers and you can see Boykin took a longer road than anybody to make the 53.

Don Barclay, guard — Barclay is another undrafted rookie. He improved throughout camp, so the fact that he’s still around isn’t overly surprisingly. The fact that he’s one of only two backups — the other being Evan Dietrich-Smith — on the offensive line is.

Phillip Merling, defensive end — Merling earned the bust label after washing out in Miami after being selected in the second round. The Packers gave him new life and he slowly came on during training camp. Ultimately, he beat out Daniel Muir, who seemed like a lock a week ago, for a roster spot.

Terrell Manning, linebacker — How can a guy go through the entire preseason, show absolutely nothing and end up on the final roster? The fact that he was a fifth-round pick, I guess.

Dezman Moses, linebacker — At this point, Moses being on the roster isn’t a surprise. We’ll just list him because he’s an undrafted rookie.

Sean Richardson, safety — Richardson is the fourth undrafted rookie to make the Packers roster. He played alongside Casey Hayward at Vanderbilt. He can hit, although he has some work to do in coverage. Interestingly, the Packers chose Richardson over Anthony Levine.

Brandian Ross, cornerback — Ross was an undrafted free agent in 2011. Frankly, this is probably the biggest surprise of the bunch. Not only have we not noticed him on the field, but we know next to nothing about him.

total packers  wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

I'm glad to see Coleman back. I think he could take the backup job from Harrell as soon as next season. I like his arm strength. I suppose it will come down to the mental aspect for him.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Wise career move for him to stick around and take MM's QB school next offseason.

Dude could get a big contract in 3 years.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
  • beast
11 years ago

Terrell Manning, linebacker — How can a guy go through the entire preseason, show absolutely nothing and end up on the final roster? The fact that he was a fifth-round pick, I guess.

Sean Richardson, safety — Richardson is the fourth undrafted rookie to make the Packers roster. He played alongside Casey Hayward at Vanderbilt. He can hit, although he has some work to do in coverage. Interestingly, the Packers chose Richardson over Anthony Levine.

Brandian Ross, cornerback — Ross was an undrafted free agent in 2011. Frankly, this is probably the biggest surprise of the bunch. Not only have we not noticed him on the field, but we know next to nothing about him.

Originally Posted by: total packers 

I noticed Ross a ton heck he might of shown up more than the other CBs but didn't have the hype. He looked a lot like Jarrett Bush, in all of the good ways (didn't think you'd ever hear that did you?) But Ross (like Bush) was very aggressive, physical and VERY good tackler. Also (unlike Bush) when the play broke down, Ross would normally find the ball carrier and chase him down. Not always getting the official tackle but he'd force the runner to look else where for an open lane and someone would make the tackle. I think he earned his spot on the team from what he showed in the preseason games.

Overall I think Levine was slightly better than Richardson, BUT Richardson is a rookie, Levine is a 3rd year guy... Levine should of been a lot better than a rookie and because he wasn't got to go with the potential of the young buck who showed he can compete and look good doing it while learning the playbook at the same time.

I think Manning looked lost on defense at times. So I'm guessing STs and potential got him in? Also maybe the injuries to Lattimore and Francois. Jones and Manning would be the next back-ups to them and Jones might be cut once Walden serves his one game suspension.
UserPostedImage