gotarace
15 years ago
(Is this as frustrating a season as you have gone through, close loss after close loss that this keeps happening?)
I could speak for myself on your question. I'm frustrated. I'm very frustrated on the way, particularly today's game unfolded. It's a little bit of a picture of how our season has gone. We had a number of opportunities and we didn't cash in on them. We had some breakdowns and unfortunately that's why we're sitting here again with a loss.

(Your defense hasn't been able to get a key stop when the game is on the line, and it happened again today. Is there anything you can pin that on?)
Today we stopped them on first down and in the second-down play they came out on a breakdown. That's football. You have to stay gap-sound, technique-specific and so forth, and we didn't do that for four quarters today.

(You gave up 549 yards on the heels of a couple other poor defensive games. What has happened to your defense?)
Well, a lot of production coming from the opponent. There's no question about that. The big plays are something that has kind of lingered of late. If you go back to New Orleans all the way through today's game, we're making big plays, getting turnovers, but we definitely can't offset it. It's an explosive gains National Football League and we're not doing our job in holding that part down.

(It seemed like you blitzed more today. Did you change a lot of that up?)
I thought Bob was aggressive today with his plan. I thought he was aggressive with the pressure. We were trying to adjust it, our medical situation with Brady playing defensive end and so forth but it was not enough.

(The holding call on Moll looked questionable. Did you see it and do you have a comment on that?)
I don't want to comment about the officials. I think if you watched the game, you know how I felt about it. It's disappointing when you're in that position. You call those particular types of plays; we refer to as an inside zone to eliminate your run blocking unit's hands from getting outside. I didn't see the replay, but that was a big play in the game.

(What about the third-down conversions? You didn't make your first third-down conversion until the fourth quarter. What's going on there?)
We had some opportunities early. We went into the game to be aggressive in third down. We missed the one, the first one I recall, we had the two sacks in seven-man protection. We have been very good in third down, especially as of late. We did not handle that today. They went a little more five-man pressure. They played a lot more three-shell against us, which we feel plays to our advantage, but we were not able to convert. We were not very sharp on third down today.

(Seemed like Desmond Bishop had an up and down day.)
I didn't study Desmond Bishop every play. I would have to see the film to give you a more accurate answer to your question.

(It looked like teams have taken advantage of your overaggressive play by the defense. The defensive backs are attacking the wides, the running backs are cutting out there, putting fakes on the linebackers. It seems likes they are taking advantage of the overaggressive play. In practice they must go through fundamentally sound throughout the course of the week. How would you change practice starting this week?)
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I would say that it all fits together. The pass rush ties into coverage. If you want to be aggressive in a man-to-man scheme, whether it's a match scheme and two-shell, which we refer to as our switch coverage, the pass rush factors into that. It's the ability to push the pocket and rush the passer to take away their number one receiver in their route progression. I think it's not always just the pass defense of the secondary, you have got to factor in the pass rush. When those two don't work hand in hand, you have issues. They were aggressive going down the field on us. They had some double moves that they were able to convert on us. You have to weigh it both ways. The pass coverage fits with the pass rush.

(How do you sell the last three weeks of this team? Do you say there is still stuff to play for? How is the reaction in the locker room right now?)
We're the Green Bay Packers, so we're going to line up and we're going to prepare. We're going to get in here tomorrow and correct our mistakes, and everybody is going to know exactly what went wrong, what went right, and we will apply that as we move forward. But we are going down to Jacksonville to win a football game. We need to win a game around here. As far as your question, we are the Green Bay Packers. I fully expect everybody to prepare to perform at a high level.

(I'm assuming that makes what has happened around here even more frustrating because of the tradition around here.)
We know what the score is. We have one goal when you have the opportunity to work here, and we're not hitting the targets right now.

(Can you go over your injuries?)
Nick Collins had a thigh and he returned. Then he had a shin injury late and did not return. I don't have the extent of that. Danny Lansanah had an arm injury. He did not return. Mark Tauscher had a significant knee injury. He did not return. Korey Hall had a knee sprain and did not return.

(Do you think Mark is out for the season?)
I would say that's probably a pretty good guess. I have not talked to them. I am just relaying the information that has been given to me.

(With so many close losses does it become a mental thing when it comes to the end, you start to think what could go wrong? Do you sense that at all?)
I can only go off of what we just experienced in the fourth quarter. I think everybody, every man on the sideline, based on the way our sideline was into the game, everybody felt very confident that we were going to win that game. We made a number of mistakes and didn't have a whole lot of help throughout the game. And we battled all the way down to the end. So, I would say no, I don't have that sense right now.

Looks like Tauscher could be gone for the season if not forever in green bay. What do you guys think on what the coach had to say?
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
shield4life
15 years ago

(Your defense hasn't been able to get a key stop when the game is on the line, and it happened again today. Is there anything you can pin that on?)

Best question and one of the biggest and main reason why we're 5-8
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
bozz_2006
15 years ago
defense has been horribly inconsistent all year.
UserPostedImage
packedhouse02
15 years ago
The defense flat out sucks. Barnett went down for the season, but the truth be known, he played like crap the entire season before his injury.Chiller gets hurt and now you're on your fifth linebacker as a starter. If he were any good he'd have been starting ahead of the other guys. What disappoints me is the lackof adjustments during the game. We need a tougher minded D coordinator.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
the only defensive player who's playing well all year has been Wood.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Tauscher being out might be a blessing right now.

We are not a playoff team, so we need to start looking at players in terms of future.

I never want a player injured and not able to play, especially the caliber of Mark and I wish him a speedy recovery.

But back to my point, Moll showed decently against a quality DE.. I was impressed for the most part.. did he get beat towards the end.. yep, but good defensive players make plays.. he faired ok.

I would like to see this staff start to insert younger players into spot duty the last three games and see what they have, get some film on them in live action and let this GM and scouting department start filling out an offseason scouting agenda and start hitting the film room on the college kids and pending free agents.

Season isn't over, but it is clear we are pretty much out of it.. remain hungry but start seeing what you have.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
yooperfan
15 years ago
He says they are going to "get in there tomorrow and correct our mistakes".
That makes me feel more confident...............not.
dfosterf
15 years ago

Tauscher being out might be a blessing right now.

We are not a playoff team, so we need to start looking at players in terms of future.

I never want a player injured and not able to play, especially the caliber of Mark and I wish him a speedy recovery.

But back to my point, Moll showed decently against a quality DE.. I was impressed for the most part.. did he get beat towards the end.. yep, but good defensive players make plays.. he faired ok.

I would like to see this staff start to insert younger players into spot duty the last three games and see what they have, get some film on them in live action and let this GM and scouting department start filling out an offseason scouting agenda and start hitting the film room on the college kids and pending free agents.

Season isn't over, but it is clear we are pretty much out of it.. remain hungry but start seeing what you have.

"pack93z" wrote:

I was almost afraid to look at this post. :icon_smile: You and I have a bit of history of going OFF at some of MM's pressers...

I don't think they are going to do what you suggest. I think they are going to absolutely try and field the best 11 each time for any given play... The primary reason is just as Mike McCarthy stated in his presser- they need to win a football game. Just like I would like to take them out on the field tomorrow morning at 0600 for the practice that would last until 1759, full pads...for the first day of the coming 6 days right up until they get on an airplane for Jax...

Your idea is one hell of a lot better than mine, but mine is a hell of a lot more satisfying for me personally. Thursday Full Pad day--INSIDE---- for a losing F'ing football team... I hope they invent some seriously good DNA extraction/regeneration so I can go dig Vince up and show him this p#ssy-a$$ed crap.
shield4life
15 years ago
It's a shame this is by far Hawk's worst season ...
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.