Zero2Cool
11 years ago
This is a really good write up once again by Jason Wilde, so do please click his name to read his other articles.

I think the longer this goes on, the more of a black mark it puts on both the Packers and Brett Favre. Each comment I see, each article I read and everything else pertaining to it ... I just can't help feel ... get over it already, both the Packers and Brett Favre.

We as fans gave tons to Brett Favre and in turn Brett Favre gave us tons too. It is time to move forward!

GREEN BAY – Bob Harlan thought he had the perfect opportunity for prodigal son Brett Favre to begin reconnecting with the Green Bay Packers organization he came to embody during his 16 years as the team’s star player.

But much to the retired Packers president’s disappointment, he does not expect the iconic quarterback to return to Green Bay for former head coach Mike Holmgren’s induction into the Packers Hall of Fame on July 21.

Speaking on Green & Gold Today Tuesday morning, Harlan said he suggested to the Hall of Fame that Favre be among the invitees for Holmgren’s induction dinner, which will be held at the Lambeau Field atrium on that Saturday night. Holmgren, who coached the 1996 team – led by Favre – to the Super Bowl XXXI title, is the lone inductee this year.

But Harlan said the Hall of Fame reached out to Favre’s agent, James “Bus” Cook, and does not expect Favre to attend. Favre, who was traded to the New York Jets in 2008 following his unretirement and then spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons with the rival Minnesota Vikings, did not play in the NFL last season.

“We had a meeting about two months ago and talked about who should be invited back – Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, people like that,” Harlan said, referring to two Holmgren assistants who went on to be successful head coaches themselves. “And, we talked about players. And I said to the group, ‘What about No. 4? This would be the perfect time for him to come back, come into Green Bay.’

“The crowd at the Hall of Fame banquet is an adoring crowd, they’re as loyal to the Green Bay Packers as anybody.’ And unfortunately, I don’t think he’s going to do it. We did approach his agent, and I don’t think Brett’s going to do it. I feel badly about that.”

Harlan said as he understood it, the Packers Hall of Fame, which is run independently of the Packers organization, reached out to Cook without consulting with coach Mike McCarthy or general manager Ted Thompson first.

"What we tried to do, the people at the Packers Hall of Fame worked through his agent, and the last I heard, the agent had not gotten back to them. I don’t even know if Bus knew what we were calling about," Harlan said. "They did make that phone call to him. In my mind, there would not have been a better place for him to make his return to Green Bay.

"(McCarthy and Thompson) don’t really have anything to do with that. That strictly came from the committee that runs the banquet."

Favre attended the July 2008 Hall of Fame banquet, serving as presenter for his longtime center and friend, Frank Winters. Favre, who had criticized the organization and Thompson a few days earlier in an interview on FOX News, did not speak about the situation he and the Packers were in at the time.

Harlan said he believes Favre will return to the fold eventually, but that hard feelings remain. Harlan also said it’s important that Favre and the Packers reconcile before Favre is enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The five-year clock starts from a player’s final game, meaning Favre would he Hall eligible for the 2016 class.

“He’s got to come back someday and have his number retired. He’s going to go into the Packers Hall of Fame; I think he should go into the Packers Hall of Fame before he goes into Canton,” Harlan said.

“I met with he and (his wife) Deanna the day they announced their retirement (in March 2008), and you could tell it was a very, very difficult day for him. I know he broke down and cried at his press conference, but in a short meeting I had with him before that conference – and basically all I wanted to do was thank him for all he did for this community and this organization – he was extremely tense and seemed very tired. And I thought Deanna, his wife, seemed the same way. And I think it was, he just could not face the reality that this was coming to an end. I felt badly about that since that day.

“I just have great respect for him, and somehow, some way, he’s got to come back here.”

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
If I'm reading the details from the excerpt here correct, the "invite"/"reach out" went like this:

1. Harlan said to someone from the Hall of Fame committee, "why don't you invite #4?"
2. Some guy from the committee (maybe the same guy, maybe not) contacts someone at Bus Cook's office (not Bus Cook).
3. Cook (and Favre) haven't responded.
4. No one talked to either McCarthy or Thompson.

Thompson/McCarthy <--> Harlan <-->PHOF committee member(s) <--> Cook employee <--> Cook <--> Favre

Forgive me, but this doesn't sound like a whole lot of "reaching out."

This is a long way from "Nixon goes to China", or even "Kissinger goes to China". It's more like "Harvard classmate of Kissinger" calls Mao's assistant's assistant secretary inquiring about whether Mao wants to come to the Harvard Political Science Department's Alumni Brunch.

(Not saying anything wrong with what Harlan's doing -- it's good to see. But it sounds to me like there is still a long ways to go before "reconciliation" and long diplomatic handshakes between Favre and the Packers.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Here's the comments I posted on the PFT article...

Packers call the agent, whom does not return a call and it’s assume Brett will not attend? Great, put more words in Brett’s mouth, that won’t tick him off more.

Whatever. We as fans have given tons to Brett Favre and in turn Brett Favre gave us tons too. It’s time for the fans, the Packers and Brett Favre to move the deuce on!

Brett proved he still had it.
Packers proved they had the real deal with Aaron Rodgers.

Everyone was friggin right!!

Brett Favre didn’t say he wasn’t coming, nor said he wouldn’t come for a reason.

Who is going to spend money to boo Brett Favre? I can assure you, not any Green Bay Packers fan. And you can thank the 2010 Super Bowl winning season for that.

Packers fans got “revenge” (for lack of better word) when the Packers beat the Favre led Vikings, twice en route to a Super Bowl victory.

I fear at a Packers GAME, he may be booed, but I really feel most Packers fans have buried the hatchet.

The bitterness is between Brett and the Packers. And like I said, each proved they were right, so it really is time to move the frick on!

As a devoted Packers fan myself, its getting embarrassing with each day another article sprouts outlining that the Packers and Brett are not on good terms. Both have done so much for one another … just make up and guess what … the Packers can profit from Brett, and Brett can profit from the Packers. Use one another!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I understand Brett Favre perhaps declining due to not wanting to overshadow the actual event. However, it's not hard to ignore comments and it's not hard for the Packers Hall to make it clear any question about the "divorce" will elicit immediate boot out of the door.

The point I'm making here is ... Mike Holmgren is only going to be inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame one time and Brett Favre is a huge reason why. They both benefited greatly from one another. Thus, measures need to be taken to ensure they can both have each others company at a special occasion as this.

I suspect ...
Holmgren would want Favre there.
Favre would want to be there for Holmgren.

We are talking about grown men here right? You're telling me it's better to run an hide instead of face it and handle it accordingly?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.