Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Here's an interesting article on Brett Favre. You can read more of the extra points by clicking the writers name.

The other day when I spoke to Mark Murphy, the Packers president said he has not personally spoken to Brett Favre about returning to Green Bay for a number-retirement ceremony.

But Murphy wants it to happen within the next couple of years. And it is going to happen. So fill up the comments section with all the anti-Favre smack you want, but my hunch is it's going to happen by 2014.

Of course, it can't happen unless Favre wants it to happen. And you can bet No. 4 wants it to happen for all the right reasons, as well as for the way he could cash in and get the attention he craves. And let's face it, he's not getting a lot of attention now.

You can tell he's missing the spotight because he's starting to give interviews again. He talked at length recently about the current state of NFL quarterbacking. He had some nice things to say about Tony Romo, the local guy who catches a lot of grief in Dallas for his inconsistent play and sometimes for his off-the-field life.

I don't want to call this a "healing process" on Favre's part, because he pretty much instigated the mess in 2008, when the Packers told him they were going to start Aaron Rodgers that season. They said he could be No. 2 or retire, and then the fireworks began. I'm not sure if he's ever going to apologize for being a clown by flying in to defy and upstage the franchise during the inter-squad scrimmage, but he's finally starting to mend a few fences in the best way he knows how.

Believe it or not, he's starting to pay Rodgers what looks to be sincere compliments. Favre never had anything to publicly say, period, about Rodgers when they were teammates, except for that time when Favre said it wasn't his job to take Rodgers under his wing. An aging Favre felt threated by Rodgers' presence, and his worst fears played out in early '08 when Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson gave him the news that Rodgers was now the guy.

Four years later, Favre is finally ready to recognize Rodgers' skills. I agree with NFL blogger John Katzowitz in this piece that there is nothing back-handed about Favre's compliments.

But I'd take it one step further. I think Favre is finally beginning the process of reaching out to the Packers after one of ugliest high-profile divorces in pro-sports history. Favre knows it's for his own good because he realizes what being re-associated with a world-class brand like the Green Bay Packers could do for him. He needs the Packers more than the Packers need him, but wasn't that the lesson that was taken away from the awful split? No one is bigger than the Packers, not even Favre. That said, there is a Green Bay-Favre legacy that must be recognized and eventually celebrated.

And to me, he never has to apologize for signing with the Vikings, because just about anyone in his position would have done that. Set aside for a moment that the Vikings are the hated rival - and, of course, he wanted to stick it to Thompson - but the Vikings were a play or so away from the Super Bowl that year.

I just want to hear Favre apologize for his behavior during that divisive summer of '08, while Rodgers sensibly kept his mouth shut. Rodgers has always been the good guy in this episode, and he quietly got his revenge by winning the MVP.

Michael Hunt  wrote:

UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
11 years ago

Rodgers has always been the good guy in this episode, and he quietly got his revenge by winning the MVP.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Not to mention the Super Bowl victory and putting up superior numbers to Favre in every possible way.

I'm looking forward to the day when Favre and the Packers can kiss and make up.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Porforis
11 years ago
Only things Favre has going for him over Rodgers is pure longevity, memories, and his personality and passion. Although I might take out those last two because Rodgers has both, just a different kind. If Rodgers keeps down the path he's been going, he will surpass Favre in every way (although not the consecutive starts streak). That's not all on Favre, because Rodgers has some sick weapons... But you can't argue that Rodgers just doesn't make the mistakes that Favre did.
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

Not to mention the Super Bowl victory and putting up superior numbers to Favre in every possible way.

I'm looking forward to the day when Favre and the Packers can kiss and make up.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

I'm looking forward to the team treating him like Curley Lambeau.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I'm looking forward to the team treating him like Curley Lambeau.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Perhaps best in a new thread, but could you enlighten us on how Curley Lambeau  was treated?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 years ago
Didn't Lambeau leave GB to coach the Bears or something like that? Not sure if that is it, but i know it was something that Lambeau did that didn't exactly make him "loved" at the time.

I kind of hope Favre is treated like Curly Howard....."whoo whoo whoooo!" LOL![grin1]
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Didn't Lambeau leave GB to coach the Bears or something like that? Not sure if that is it, but i know it was something that Lambeau did that didn't exactly make him "loved" at the time.

I kind of hope Favre is treated like Curly Howard....."whoo whoo whoooo!" LOL![grin1]

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

That was Curly Lambeau, not Curley Lambeau. [grin1] [duh] [grin1]
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

That was Curly Lambeau, not Curley Lambeau. [grin1] [duh] [grin1]

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I figure most people are smart enough to figure out what I mean.

While I do have a 17+ grade level vocabulary, I can't spell most of it. Without spellcheck, my posts would be unintelligible.
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Lambeau was not honored by the team until after he passed away.

What is good enough for the founder of the team is good enough for the guy who betrayed it.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I figure most people are smart enough to figure out what I mean.

While I do have a 17+ grade level vocabulary, I can't spell most of it. Without spellcheck, my posts would be unintelligible.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Touche, however, I figured any Packers fan would spell one of the founders of the Packers properly. 🙂
UserPostedImage