Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Run defense has been shoddy

[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/440*302/pack120708.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - It's more than significant that the Green Bay Packers are on pace to finish with the fewest sacks they've had in a season since 1999.

Failing to get to quarterbacks has been an Achilles' heel the second half of this season.

But if you dig a little deeper into the numbers, consider how many interceptions the defense has made despite a weak pass rush and compare productivity with last season, it becomes apparent that an underlying reason for the Packers' disappointing 5-7 season is their inability to stop the run.

If they don't find a cure for it soon, starting today against the Houston Texans, it won't be the story of their season; it will be their obituary.

"The fastest way to die is to not stop the run," defensive tackles coach Robert Nunn said. "We have to keep working on that."

The collapse of the run defense from last season is startling.

Last year, the Packers ranked 14th in rushing yards allowed (102.9) and 11th in average yards per carry (3.9). This year they rank 27th in yards (141.8) and 29th in yards per carry (4.8).

The major difference is in the number of big plays they've allowed. Last year, they gave up seven runs of 20 or more yards, including four that were 40 or more. Through 12 games this year, they have allowed nearly double the amount of long runs, 13 of 20 or more, four of 40 or more.

You can recite numbers all day that reflect how poorly defensive coordinator Bob Sanders' unit is playing the run - how about allowing an average of 4.8 yards per carry on first down? - but all of it will be just cud to chew while watching the playoffs on TV if the Packers don't find a cure fast.

"We've got to do better," Nunn said. "It's amazing. You watch the tape and it's like you watch two different tapes at times. I don't know how many yards (Carolina) had, but most of them came on explosive gains. Those are the things that get you beat in this league.

"We've got to get the little things taken care of. It doesn't do any good to have 10 good snaps and one bad one. We have to come out every round ready to fight. We'll continue to work through it."

It could be that Sanders, Nunn and defensive ends coach Carl Hairston just don't have the manpower to get it done.

In-house help
[ul]After trading defensive lineman Corey Williams instead of paying him, general manager Ted Thompson decided to rely on his in-house talent to pick up the slack. He had spent a first-round pick on Justin Harrell the year before for exactly this kind of situation.

He drafted end Jeremy Thompson in the fourth round this year to help prepare for the eventual decline of end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, who was released last month, but otherwise he stood pat. He counted on Harrell (back) and Johnny Jolly (rotator cuff) to recover from injury and be productive players; he counted on Colin Cole to handle backup duties for nose tackle Ryan Pickett; and he had an ace card with Cullen Jenkins, a blossoming right end who also could play inside.

Perhaps his worst mistake was not seeing that the injury-prone Harrell wasn't going to be ready for the season, and that even if he were, an inactive off-season was going to make him mostly ineffective. He did not find another big body with run-stopping ability to make up for Williams' loss and subsequently the line was left short in numbers at the start of the season.

Early in the year, with Harrell on the physically-unable-to-perform list and Jenkins on injured reserve after tearing a pectoral muscle, Pickett and Jolly were playing more snaps than they should have been. Each was getting 40 to 50 instead of 25 to 35, and it took its toll.

"You play inside like that the way we play and you play high numbers, it's going to catch up to you," Nunn said. "You go back several games and they had to play a lot of snaps. But that's no excuse. Guys are healthy, as healthy as they can be. We just have to improve, and that's what we talk about daily."

It would be unfair to pin all the blame for the run defense's woes on the defensive line. The linebacker unit clearly has not performed to the level it did last year and bears plenty of responsibility. But with any defense, it starts up front, and with the way the Packers' scheme is set up stopping the run is the priority for that group.

Allowing teams so many yards on first down puts the entire defense in an unfavorable position. An offense facing second and 5 can run or pass; an offense facing second and 9 is likely to pass.

So far, opponents have had second and 5 yards or fewer roughly 28% of their plays. On those downs, the Packers have just two sacks and opponents are averaging about 6 yards per carry.[/ul]

Can't key on pass
[ul]If the Packers were stopping the run better, the defensive line would be able to tee off more often at the snap, knowing odds are a pass is coming.

"The run is the most important thing to stop," Cole said. "And then our assignments first and foremost, and then we work on getting some pass rush. A lot of times when guys play-action us, those guys can lock up on us and hold us just like they do. It makes it harder to get off and play pressure."

Overall, individual performance may be at the root of the decline.

Pickett missed all of training camp with a hamstring injury, and though he hasn't missed a game, it's highly unlikely the injury hasn't had an effect on his play. His tackle numbers are actually ahead of last year's pace, so the decline probably isn't too great.

"He came in ready to go and, boom, he tweaked something and it just sets you back and it seems like you're running in mud uphill the rest of the way," Nunn said. "It's frustrating, but it's no excuse."

Jolly, meanwhile, is playing through his first full season. He played sparingly in six games as a rookie and started seven of 10 games last year before suffering the rotator cuff tear. His tackle numbers are better than they were last year, but he doesn't have a sack.

"I'm always hard on myself," Jolly said. "But I actually think I'm playing better than last year now. Who knows? There are still four more games to go. I just try to leave it all on the field every game."

Cole has had his ups and downs this year but seems to have given the Packers the same as he did a year ago. Harrell came back at midseason and has been effective at times but never dominant.

"Last year, you saw flashes of good things," Nunn said of Harrell. "The thing that we've got to do is be more consistent. I'm not sure without a true off-season the story is going to be told."

As a group, the statistics would show a drop-off in play. Ted Thompson wasn't willing to acknowledge that yet.

"Let's wait until the season is over to do that," he said. "We've still got four games to go. That's something you look at when the season is over."

If there has been one constant throughout the season, it has been the big play. Of the 13 runs of 20 or more yards, seven have occurred on first and 10. There isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to the breakdowns other than they just keep happening.

At this point, the Packers' hopes depend on figuring it out.

"The thing is, effort and everything is there," Pickett said. "Our attention to detail isn't there. Last year, we didn't give up big plays in the run game. I can count on my hand how many big plays we had last year. This year, it's always, teams have two or three big plays against us a game.

"It's always the same thing - somebody's out of a gap, somebody's not here or there. That's kind of frustrating."[/ul]

UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago

The major difference is in the number of big plays they've allowed. Last year, they gave up seven runs of 20 or more yards, including four that were 40 or more. Through 12 games this year, they have allowed nearly double the amount of long runs, 13 of 20 or more, four of 40 or more.

Ouch.
DGB454
15 years ago

Run defense has been shoddy

If there has been one constant throughout the season, it has been the big play. Of the 13 runs of 20 or more yards, seven have occurred on first and 10. There isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to the breakdowns other than they just keep happening.

At this point, the Packers' hopes depend on figuring it out.

"It's always the same thing - somebody's out of a gap, somebody's not here or there. That's kind of frustrating."

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

To me it keeps going back to coaching. When the coaches are saying "There isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to the breakdowns other than they just keep happening." then someone isn't doing what they are getting paid to do and that's figuring it out and fixing it. Ignorance is no excuse but it seems to be the only excuse they are giving. Someone has to go at the end of the season and I vote that it's the whole deffensive staff that should go.
15 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

Ouch.

Our defense is just giving up too many big plays this year.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

Ouch.

"IronMan" wrote:

Our defense is just giving up too many big plays this year.

Uhhhhhh.................REALLY?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (20m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (33m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.