Formo
12 years ago

Yes Zero, from what I've read he was self appointed/not affiliated with any sanctioned Neighborhood Watch program. I've also read that he'd made upwards of 50 calls to the police in the last year or two.

I've also heard he was a failed police officer candidate.

Originally Posted by: dingus 

I've seen a few different titles, depending on the media. I saw that he wasn't even an 'official' Neighborhood Watch 'member', to a Neighborhood Watch captain. That is yet another gray area in this case.

The past phone calls are as irrelevant as Trayvon's supposed punching a bus driver or being suspended from school. Its funny how I've seen most people who are calling for Zimmerman's head bring up his past but completely ignore Trayvon's. Personally, that stuff is in the past and not relevant to this particular case.

I, too, saw that the reason he was the 'Neighborhood Watch guy' was because he didn't get a police officer position.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
dingus
12 years ago

I've seen a few different titles, depending on the media. I saw that he wasn't even an 'official' Neighborhood Watch 'member', to a Neighborhood Watch captain. That is yet another gray area in this case.

The past phone calls are as irrelevant as Trayvon's supposed punching a bus driver or being suspended from school. Its funny how I've seen most people who are calling for Zimmerman's head bring up his past but completely ignore Trayvon's. Personally, that stuff is in the past and not relevant to this particular case.

I, too, saw that the reason he was the 'Neighborhood Watch guy' was because he didn't get a police officer position.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

I think the phone calls speak to the idea that he was a paranoid overzealous wannabe cop. How many times have you called 911 in the last two years. I recently lived in a particularly scary neighborhood here in Chicago and might have called 911 2-3 times in 6 years. He lived in an upscale neighborhood, did he not? (I'm asking, can't recall)

As Far as Zeros comment, I'm thinking he doesn't condone it but understands the possibility. We have to remember that Martin was still a 17 year old, not the brightest age for a teen. Add to that the whole trying to act hard bit and he pops the cause of his fear in the face.
blank
Formo
12 years ago

I think the phone calls speak to the idea that he was a paranoid overzealous wannabe cop. How many times have you called 911 in the last two years. I recently lived in a particularly scary neighborhood here in Chicago and might have called 911 2-3 times in 6 years. He lived in an upscale neighborhood, did he not? (I'm asking, can't recall)

Well, in the initial 911 call Zimmerman DID say there was a rash of break-ins recently. So that could be a source of a few calls. And he WAS a Neighborhood Watch guy (whether he was an official one or not is not relevant), which would also explain why so many calls. Now, I'm not denying that he's an overzealous paranoid creeper. I'm saying the amount of calls he has made sort of fits the bill and is irrelevant. Just like Trayvon's altercations with a bus driver and his inability to stay in school. (See what I did thar?)

As Far as Zeros comment, I'm thinking he doesn't condone it but understands the possibility. We have to remember that Martin was still a 17 year old, not the brightest age for a teen. Add to that the whole trying to act hard bit and he pops the cause of his fear in the face.

Of course there's a possibility of the reaction. My point is as soon as you throw the first 'punch' in a physical altercation, regardless of circumstances, you are the instigator and can not be claiming self defense.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I stopped caring what you say after this. Sorry bruh.

Someone. Doesn't. Know. How. To. Debate!!!

HOW'S YOUR DONKEY!!!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

We do agree on quite a bit about this, yet you say you stopped reading me "bruh"?

Whatever the kid or adult it previously, I don't think holds weight to what happened that night.

A few questions.

When the dispatcher told the adult it was not necessary for him to follow the kid, was he in his vehicle or on foot? I think this matters quite heavily. If on foot going back to his vehicle and the kid jumps him, then yes, I would have to say shooting him was self defense and he'd have a right to claim as such. If he was still in his vehicle and got out after being advised not to, in my opinion, he loses the right of self defense because as I've said before, he becomes the aggressor.

I read a few times, the scuffle took place on grass and some say concrete. Yet, the yellow tape blocked off was only around grass? Does this mean anything?

Why didn't the police take pictures of the wounds right away? I know this is common practice for Green Bay, WI police officers as I've witnessed it myself. They get cataloged in the case file.

I think I enjoyed the Brett Favre debates more ...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
The more I read, the more I am convinced the media is blowing the accurate coverage of this; running with each and every angle of the story without any regard to the accuracy of said report.

Here I thought that was exclusive to the sports "journalists".

Either way.. there are a couple of unanswered questions that remain, but I am trying my best to wait until they get presented under a court of law and one can read the transcript of the events without the media spin cycle applied.

That said.. everyone is entitled to their opinion on the topic.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dingus
12 years ago
Martin couldn't claim self defense because he was dead. Zimmerman did claim self defense after following/stalking and scaring a 17 year old boy. Martins GF was having a conversation with him on the phone and she said he expressed fear, I'll find the article.

As far as Trayvons past, he was suspended from school for having some weed shake in the lining of his backpack, and I hadn't heard about him punching a bus driver but he's not some recidivist (gotta love Raising Arizona!) who struck fear into the general public. I'm sure he was no angel, probably a typical blowhard pseudo gangster, but in the end he's dead and this full grown man Zimmerman, who was specifically told by the 911 operator to mind his own business, ended his life. And walked away.
blank
Porforis
12 years ago

The more I read, the more I am convinced the media is blowing the accurate coverage of this; running with each and every angle of the story without any regard to the accuracy of said report.

Here I thought that was exclusive to the sports "journalists".

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

You don't read the news much, do you? Back in the day you made money by getting advertisers. You got advertisers by being relatively balanced and getting as many readers as possible. In the internet age, you get the most hits (and thus ad revenue) by posting something controversial that will stir the post and make people angry. Angry people share links more, and post more in the comments section. This isn't a liberal, conservative issue... This is the media overall.
Pack93z
12 years ago

You don't read the news much, do you? Back in the day you made money by getting advertisers. You got advertisers by being relatively balanced and getting as many readers as possible. In the internet age, you get the most hits (and thus ad revenue) by posting something controversial that will stir the post and make people angry. Angry people share links more, and post more in the comments section. This isn't a liberal, conservative issue... This is the media overall.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

LOL.. been in the IT business for over twenty years, damn never knew that website hits generated profits, thanks much for the tip. [sarcasm]

My point is, if you are going to regard yourself as a fact driven journalist or company, then do your homework and provide researched facts over an angle to draw hits. If that is what you are after, then announce yourself as a "paid" blogger feeding rumors over facts. If I wanted drama and rumor, I would read TMZ.

If I hit a site like CNN, ABC, CBS I want the authors to present validated facts or if they are going to report the "latest" gossip, disclose it as such. Don't present me a timeline or accounts based on poorly researched or single unnamed sources as fact, it will be the quickest way for me to drop them as an regular read.

And Yes I know it is common, but honestly, I think it one of the greatest downfalls of this nonstop media driven age, being first or providing a slant to generate hit verses reporting the news as is without fiction.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
12 years ago
Let's all allow the nation to come to a complete friggin' halt while we wring our collective hands over the circumstances surrounding the death of this individual.

Pavlovian- fucking - dogs.