Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 1:31:32 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,749
Applause Received: 1,317

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
Zombie and NSD have ruined me. I just asumed "Milk those bees" would be a sexual innuendo for something, but I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what it was.

Apparently, it's about bees.

Actually Rocky I stuck the phrase on Dakota one time when I was a bit irritated with him. Which happens often. Since he is out in the Dakotas and they do have some ranching out there I figured I would take a leap and associate his bee work with wrangling cattle. (innuendos as to just what he was doing with those bees was fine by me.) Ranching of course is a little different than milking cattle but I was being a little derogatory so I didn't care.

DT took it all in stride (damn him) and ruined my wrath. I still use the term even though it is not meant to be derogatory any longer. After all I know he works long and hard to keep his hives going and profitable.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 1:49:40 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,996

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
After all I know he works long and hard to keep his hives going and profitable.

hi

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Online Wade  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 1:53:46 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Wade's favorite product - corn syrup from Iowa.

Ack!

I'm trying to think of my favorite Iowa product. It isn't corn syrup or any corn product.

Maybe UI cheerleaders.

Maybe Amanas-made Landjaeger.

Or perhaps a nice and juicy pork tenderloin sandwich.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline DakotaT  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 4:54:20 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,297

Actually Rocky I stuck the phrase on Dakota one time when I was a bit irritated with him. Which happens often. Since he is out in the Dakotas and they do have some ranching out there I figured I would take a leap and associate his bee work with wrangling cattle. (innuendos as to just what he was doing with those bees was fine by me.) Ranching of course is a little different than milking cattle but I was being a little derogatory so I didn't care.

DT took it all in stride (damn him) and ruined my wrath. I still use the term even though it is not meant to be derogatory any longer. After all I know he works long and hard to keep his hives going and profitable.

Actually we use the terms bee herding for working with them in the field, and bee milking for the extraction process of the honey we steal from them.

And how dare I accuse the white man of stealing the Native American lands and American Southwest from Mexico. I am walking talking pile of bovine fecal matter.

I love beekeeping. It is very profitable, hard work, and I get to provide people with an excellent product from mother nature. Some of you have been given the delicacy at a very reasonable price or trade; and all anybody else has to do is ask nicely and sort of kiss my butt a little, but not really.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 6:17:48 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Actually we use the terms bee herding for working with them in the field, and bee milking for the extraction process of the honey we steal from them.

Interesting. I did not know.

And how dare I accuse the white man of stealing the Native American lands and American Southwest from Mexico. I am walking talking pile of bovine fecal matter.

what the hell are you talking about?

I love beekeeping. It is very profitable, hard work, and I get to provide people with an excellent product from mother nature. Some of you have been given the delicacy at a very reasonable price or trade; and all anybody else has to do is ask nicely and sort of kiss my butt a little, but not really.

Yeah I know. I love real honey instead of the store crap. I usually get some from a local bee herder.

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 11:40:58 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

what the hell are you talking about?

I've pissed just about everybody off with these comments over the years. Nobody wants to be responsible for the past.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:14:32 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I've pissed just about everybody off with these comments over the years. Nobody wants to be responsible for the past.

It is off topic is what I meant. Tongue

It doesn't piss me off. I am willing to take responsibility for the the past. MY past. Not someone else's actions just mine. I can acknowledge an injustice that occurred in the past and help to resolve it and still not be responsible for it.

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:40:07 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

It is off topic is what I meant. Tongue

It doesn't piss me off. I am willing to take responsibility for the the past. MY past. Not someone else's actions just mine. I can acknowledge an injustice that occurred in the past and help to resolve it and still not be responsible for it.

See the actions of my ancestors do bother me. When I use to play rec bball, the native boys would call me white boy with the Nword connotation. They hated my guts without even knowing me. Of course my natural charm, would always win them over Big Grin but their hatred bothered me - so I read some books other than what I was taught in a white man's school. I wasn't too impressed with my ancestors anymore. They feel we owe them more then we can ever repay - and I'm in no position to disagree.

Are the descendents of the ill gotten wealth to pay for the sins of evil men? It's a great debate to have but people need to keep an open mind.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:06:12 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Shouldn't you really call me a sustainer of life? Without my beekeeping bretheren, you all cease to exist. I like that, not only am I a righteous republican jobs provider - I am a sustainer of life on this planet.

Actually, flies pollinate more than bees, but everyone hates flies so they never get any credit.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Formo  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:59:21 AM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

See the actions of my ancestors do bother me. When I use to play rec bball, the native boys would call me white boy with the Nword connotation. They hated my guts without even knowing me. Of course my natural charm, would always win them over Big Grin but their hatred bothered me - so I read some books other than what I was taught in a white man's school. I wasn't too impressed with my ancestors anymore. They feel we owe them more then we can ever repay - and I'm in no position to disagree.

Are the descendents of the ill gotten wealth to pay for the sins of evil men? It's a great debate to have but people need to keep an open mind.

Holy crap.. Are you de-railing a de-rail?!

Good thing that you know what your ancestors did and feel bad for it. Good for you. My ancestors did none of the sort.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Pack93z  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:24:51 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

My mental image of:

The strenuous life of the bee milker...

UserPostedImage
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 3/6/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:08:43 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,996

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
My mental image of:

The strenuous life of the bee milker...

They say camera adds 10 pounds ... ?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline wpr  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:44:57 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Mom get's the Michigan Country Lines magazine. This article on honey bees was in the March/April issue.

From Dakota's point of view I am sure he will think it is a little simplistic.

In keeping with Zero's request I cut some of the article out.

Quote:
Honey bees have existed for millions of years and supplied honey for the human race since the Stone Age, but there is great concern that their benefits to the world will be diminished, if not lost. However, with a little help from homeowners and other concerned citizens there is hope for their future—and ours.
Once thought to be native to South Asia and the South East Asia subregion, recent studies indicate honey bees may also be native to Africa and probably all continents except North America. Cave drawings also indicate that early humans recognized the value of honey.

As humans learned to domesticate honey bees the art of beekeeping grew, and today they also provide us with beeswax, propolis (a bee glue used in cosmetics and health supplements) and pollination services.

Though several species exist, only two have been domesticated (the Egyptians were among the first to do so), and only one (Apis mellifera) is used extensively for domestic honey production and pollination.

An average well-managed domestic hive will hold 50,000 bees (sometimes as high as 80,000) in mid-summer. Bees from one hive can gather up to 80 pounds of pollen, and produce well over 100 pounds of honey annually.

Honey bees generally visit flowers to collect pollen, their source of protein, and in the process are responsible for about 80 percent of all insect pollination. This service is valued in the billions of dollars, and without it many commercial and home-grown food crops would be greatly reduced.

In 2007, honey bees made the news because a disturbing number (30 to 70 percent) of North American European hives collapsed. This sudden, unprecedented decline was named colony collapse disorder (CCD). Researchers have not found a specific cause, but many scientists suspect a combination of factors rather than a single pathogen or poison. This may include loss of habitat, changes in agricultural practices, new viruses and pathogens, extreme weather during the past decade which resulted in impaired protein (pollen) production, and the possible synergistic effects of any combination of these factors.

A decline in beekeeping is another contributing factor to the population decline that has been taking place since the 1950s,.

“For many years the cause of decline was economic in nature and tied to the availability of other sweeteners on the market,”...caused many people to stop using honey as a home sweetener.

“With relatively cheap sweetener prices, we no longer consume much honey on a per-person basis—less than 2 pounds per year,” he said. “On the other hand, we consume more than 100 pounds of refined sugars and HFCS per person and some estimates are much higher than that.

“This caused honey prices for many years to stay so low as to make it difficult to make a living and many commercial beekeepers gave up their operations,” he adds.

Compounding that problem are the health issues of honey bees. “In the last 20 years we have had two new parasitic mites come into the country, and the varroa mite vectors as many as 17 to 20 different viruses that affect honey bee health,” he continues. This has increased the cost of keeping bees alive, resulting in additional beekeepers giving up this important work for jobs in other fields.

“Without a corresponding rise in pollinating fees over the past 15 years or so, many of the larger beekeepers that are still in existence would likely have gone out of business as well,” Tucker says.

... homeowners can still help protect these amazing and economically important creatures.

“The main thing homeowners can do is provide plantings of beneficial flowers that bloom during the full season to provide nectar for honey bees and all native pollinators.”

“The second thing is to educate the public to accept a lower level of perfection in their yards and gardens and use less herbicides and pesticides that can affect pollinators,” he continues. “It is not a good thing to treat our lawns to remove clovers and even dandelions that provide nectar to bees. While it makes for a less perfect looking lawn, it is more natural and beneficial to the bees.”

According to Tucker, white clovers and native wild flowers, trees and shrubs that provide lots of pollen and nectar are wonderful additions to yards and landscapes. Shrubs such as spirea, currents, blackberries, blueberries and even honeysuckle are great choices. Beneficial trees include all fruit-producing and ornamental varieties such as Bradford pears and black locusts.

So, what’s the course of action if a swarm of honey bees show up on its own? Because they can pose a threat to people and animals, and because the swarm may be the more aggressive strain of Africanized honey bees, Tucker suggests calling a local beekeeper to have them removed.

I suppose I do as well as many others to provide a place for bees to gather. We have a our yard overrun with dandelions in the past. Not so much now as I do treat the yard. Even so we still have white clover. In addition I have a blackberry patch that is growing pretty big. A honeysuckle bush. A crab apple tree that I always wait as long as I can to trim. Certainly after the blossoms a off. A few cherry blossom bushes. And a couple of mulberry trees.

I love to go lay under the crab apple tree when the blossoms are there and listen to the tree "hum". Hundreds of bees swarm all over it. Not all of them are honey bees.

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 3/13/2012(UTC)
Offline zombieslayer  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:56:39 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Ack!

I'm trying to think of my favorite Iowa product. It isn't corn syrup or any corn product.

Maybe UI cheerleaders.

Maybe Amanas-made Landjaeger.

Or perhaps a nice and juicy pork tenderloin sandwich.

When I was a kid, I was in love with that girl from Iowa from the Ice Castles movie. Yeah I know, slim chance she's actually from Iowa but her character was from Iowa.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#30 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:28:02 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I loved Ice Castles as a kid. I tried watching it a couple years ago and was dismayed to find out that it hasn't aged well at all. Even worse, it's not available on DVD (or wasn't then anyway). You have to watch it on VHS. That made me strangely sad.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed