Zero2Cool
12 years ago

NEW YORK -- National League MVP Ryan Braun's 50-game suspension was overturned Thursday by baseball arbitrator Shyam Das, and a source told ESPN that Major League Baseball officials are livid over the decision.

Braun's case marks the first time a baseball player has successfully challenged a drug-related penalty in a grievance.

The decision was announced Thursday by the Major League Baseball Players Association, one day before the 28-year-old outfielder was due to report to spring training with the Milwaukee Brewers.

Fantasy Spin: Braun Back In First Round

Milwaukee Brewers OF Ryan Braun has successfully appealed his suspension for a positive drug test. And barring further developments he is once again worthy of a first-round selection, writes ESPN.com's Tristan H. Cockcroft. Story

Braun tested positive in October for elevated testosterone, and ESPN revealed the positive test in December.

"I am very pleased and relieved by today's decision," Braun said in a statement. "It is the first step in restoring my good name and reputation. We were able to get through this because I am innocent and the truth is on our side.

"We provided complete cooperation throughout, despite the highly unusual circumstances. I have been an open book, willing to share details from every aspect of my life as part of this investigation, because I have nothing to hide. I have passed over 25 drug tests in my career, including at least three in the past year."

Braun didn't argue evidence of tampering and didn't dispute the science, but argued protocol had not been followed. A second source confirmed to ESPN investigative reporters Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn that Braun questioned the chain of custody and collection procedure.

According to one of the sources, the collector, after getting Braun's sample, was supposed to take the sample to a FedEx Office for shipping.

But the source said the collector thought the FedEx Office was closed because it was late on a Saturday and felt the sample wouldn't get shipped until Monday.

As has occurred in some other instances, the collector took the sample home and kept it in a cool place, in his basement at his residence in Wisconsin, according to the source.

Policy states that the sample is supposed to get to FedEx as soon as possible.

Braun's initial T/E ratio was more than 20:1. Sources previously confirmed synthetic testosterone in his system. A source says MLB is livid and is considering options and other comment.

Hill and Schlereth

ESPN Investigative Reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada explains how and why Ryan Braun's suspension appeal was upheld by Major League Baseball.

The source told ESPN the seals were totally intact and testing never reflected any degradation of the sample. Based on the World Anti-Doping Agency code, this is exactly what would have been expected to happen, and the collector took the proper action, the source said.

The source also noted that synthetic testosterone doesn't just show up because a sample sits in one place or another.

Travis Tygart, chief executive officer of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, called the decision "a real gut-kick to clean athletes."

"To have this sort of technicality of all technicalities let a player off ... it's just a sad day for all the clean players and those that abide by the rules within professional baseball," he said.

The players association did not supply reasoning behind Thursday's decision.

A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that, after being informed of the positive result, Braun asked to have another urine test taken, and that the second test was within normal range.

An evidentiary hearing on Braun's appeal was held Jan. 19-20 in New York, ending the day before the player accepted the NL MVP award at a black-tie dinner.

"Today the arbitration panel announced its decision, by a 2-1 vote, to sustain Ryan Braun's grievance challenging his 50-game suspension by the commissioner's office," a statement from the players' association said.

MLB executive vice president Rob Manfred and union head Michael Weiner are part of the arbitration panel, and management and the union almost always split their votes, leaving Das, the independent panel member, to make the decision.

Manfred said management disagreed with the decision by Das. It is the first time a drug suspension has been overturned in a grievance, baseball officials said.

"It has always been Major League Baseball's position that no matter who tests positive, we will exhaust all avenues in pursuit of the appropriate discipline. We have been true to that position in every instance, because baseball fans deserve nothing less," Manfred said. "As a part of our drug testing program, the commissioner's office and the players' association agreed to a neutral third party review for instances that are under dispute. While we have always respected that process, Major League Baseball vehemently disagrees with the decision rendered today by arbitrator Shyam Das."

Attempts by ESPN to reach Das have been unsuccessful.

Braun hit .312 with 33 homers and 111 RBIs last year and led Milwaukee to the NL Championship Series, where the Brewers lost to the eventual World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals. The Brewers are counting on his offense following the departure of Prince Fielder, who became a free agent and signed with the Detroit Tigers.

Braun already was signed through 2015 when the Brewers gave him a new deal running through 2020 that added $105 million and guaranteed him a total of $145.5 million over a decade.

"MLB and cable sports tried to sully the reputation of an innocent man," Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said on Twitter. "Picked the wrong guy to mess with. Truth will set u free #exonerated."

Brewers closer John Axford added on Twitter: "All I can say is that Braun has exemplary character is continuing to handle this in an unbelievable manner."

Positive tests for performance-enhancing drugs have been relatively rare under the major league testing program, with just two others in 2011: Tampa Bay outfielder Manny Ramirez and Colorado Rockies catcher Eliezer Alfonzo. Ramirez at first retired rather than face a 100-game suspension for a second positive test. Wanting to return this year, he is serving a 50-game penalty -- the length was shortened because he missed most of last year.

ESPN  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

MLB and cable sports tried to sully the reputation of an innocent man. Picked the wrong guy to mess with. Truth will set u free #exonerated. When its guilty until proven innocent, all u need are the facts. #howsthecrowmlb #exonerated.

I’ll let my buddy take it from here. All u idiots talking about technicality open up for some crow too. See if Espn gets pressured not to . . . let the people hear the truth. Should get interesting. #exonerated#shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Aaron Rodgers (Twitter) wrote:

Here's an article on PFT .

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
It might be Aaron Rodgers who wants to shut his mouth here. In this case, overturning of the suspension does not exactly equate to exoneration. Braun himself never disputed the validity of the tests themselves, just the chain of custody of the samples. He left it to the public to draw their own conclusions -- that perhaps the samples were tampered with after protocol was not followed -- but there was no evidence of such tampering. The seals were fully intact. In choosing the tack he took, Braun all but tacitly admitted the results were valid. I'm not saying I don't think he should have gotten off on this technicality -- I think preservation of the chain of custody is of paramount importance, and this defeat will probably spur MLB to tighten up procedures -- but to say that Braun's innocence was vindicated here would be a huge stretch. His second, normal urine test is no evidence of his innocence, since from what I have read, it has been shown that second tests taken the same day as a positive result can show normal hormone levels.

I am actually disappointed this was how he got off the hook. I had hoped information substantiating his innocence would emerge. Now for the rest of his career, a cloud of suspicion that he probably got away with a fast one will be hanging over his head.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

It might be Aaron Rodgers who wants to shut his mouth here. In this case, overturning of the suspension does not exactly equate to exoneration. Braun himself never disputed the validity of the tests themselves, just the chain of custody of the samples. He left it to the public to draw their own conclusions -- that perhaps the samples were tampered with after protocol was not followed -- but there was no evidence of such tampering. The seals were fully intact. In choosing the tack he took, Braun all but tacitly admitted the results were valid. I'm not saying I don't think he should have gotten off on this technicality -- I think preservation of the chain of custody is of paramount importance, and this defeat will probably spur MLB to tighten up procedures -- but to say that Braun's innocence was vindicated here would be a huge stretch. His second, normal urine test is no evidence of his innocence, since from what I have read, it has been shown that second tests taken the same day as a positive result can show normal hormone levels.

I am actually disappointed this was how he got off the hook. I had hoped information substantiating his innocence would emerge. Now for the rest of his career, a cloud of suspicion that he probably got away with a fast one will be hanging over his head.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Agreed and what I posted on the other Braun thread. Many people (both innocent and guilty) have won on technicalities. It doesn't prove anything other than we have procedures and they must be followed.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Nothing wrong with the guy speaking out for his friend who was going through something pretty shitty. You guys have no loyalty at all to your friends huh? Just cower behind the shades when your buddy is getting beat around? Wimps! 🙂
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Nothing wrong with the guy speaking out for his friend who was going through something pretty shitty. You guys have no loyalty at all to your friends huh? Just cower behind the shades when your buddy is getting beat around? Wimps! :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Are you still harping on that? Boy talk about beating a 🐴

[neener]
UserPostedImage
nathaniel
12 years ago
Braun never challenged the validity of the tests, which he could have done. He offered to take a DNA test to prove they weren't his samples, MLB said "OK", then Braun backed out. He was let off on a technicality that had NOTHING to do with the test results. All the seals on the actual sample, the bag and the box were all completely sealed and not tampered with. The A and B samples ended up with the exact same results.

When Braun decides to challenge the actual test results instead of the method of transportation, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. The fact that anyone sees this as an acquittal and complete explanation of the test results is just a tad delusional. Again, the appeal has NOTHING to do with the test results, and Braun hasn't challenged the results. That really can't be stated enough. If someone accused me of something I didn't do, and my only legal action was to discredit that person instead of proving my innocence, I'd sure as hell expect people to be skeptical of me. His next move will be going after ESPN for leaking his name, and he has every right to do that. It should have been confidential and anonymous. But remember, his first legal action wasn't to prove his innocence, but to discredit the collector. There's a big difference.

Now, how do you all feel about Roger Clemens? There is literally more testable evidence against Ryan Braun than there is against Roger Clemens, but I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say Roger Clemens is a cheater. Even I believe that. Innocent until proven guilty, though, right? So how is that fair? Is it because Ryan Braun plays for the Brewers? Because he's Aaron Rodgers' friend? Anyone else gets off on this technicality and I highly doubt anyone gives them the benefit of the doubt. Including me.
blank
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I feel after the first sentence I lost interest because it started off inaccurate. So many love to knock others down to make themselves feel above them. Pathetic society we live in these days.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Uh, what? His first sentence is entirely accurate. Braun challenged the chain of custody, not the test results themselves. He never once disputed the scientific validity of the results. Your ad hominem is unwarranted.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Uh, what? His first sentence is entirely accurate. Braun challenged the chain of custody, not the test results themselves. He never once disputed the scientific validity of the results. Your ad hominem is unwarranted.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

lmao o.k. won't be going through this again here as I did with CNN punks and ESPN nimrods.

Believe whichever flavor of bullshit tastes best! Nuts anyone?

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.