Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
We can't stop the run.. they can't stop the pass... should be entertaining to see which sieve cracks more. ;)

Honestly though.. this bodes well for a bounce back game of sorts for the Packer passing game after two weeks of so so production.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/314279 

Packers: Bears' pass defense has been toothless
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY The question came at Aaron Rodgers in much the same way that the Minnesota Vikings' pass rush had a few days earlier: Strong, and from multiple directions.

But this time, unlike with Jared Allen & Co., the Green Bay Packers quarterback was able to deftly side-step it.

First, standing in front of his locker, the man with the camera on his shoulder just had to know: Are Rodgers and the Packers "licking your chops" to face the Chicago Bears' pass defense Sunday?

What the question might have lacked in style most players are smart enough to recognize potential bulletin-board fodder when they hear it it certainly made up for with substance: The Bears enter the game with ranked 30th among the NFL's 32 teams in pass defense, having allowed a whopping 251.8 yards per game.

"That's only because they gave up about 20 yards rushing (to Tennessee last week)," Rodgers replied, pointing out how the Titans' LenDale White (10 carries, 14 yards) and Chris Johnson (14 carries, 8 yards) went nowhere against the Bears.

"In this league you're going to give yards one way or the other, any defense. And they shut down the run great and Tennessee had to try to run the ball through the air. They have a solid back end. ... So it's going to be important for us to execute the way we know how to. But it's going to be tough sledding all day, no doubt about it."

Next up were the slightly craftier Chicago-area reporters, who asked Rodgers during a conference call whether he was "surprised that teams are throwing the ball so well" against the Bears.

Again, the numbers don't lie.

In their nine games, the Bears have allowed five quarterbacks to establish season highs for passing yardage: Tampa Bay's Brian Griese (a career-best 407 yards, two touchdowns), Atlanta rookie Matt Ryan (301 yards, one TD), Minnesota's Gus Frerotte (298 yards, two TDs), Detroit's Dan Orlovsky (292 yards, two TDs) and Tennessee's Kerry Collins (289 yards, two TDs).

Hardly a Murderers Row of signal-callers there, by the way.

But Rodgers again refused to take the bait.

"Now, that's a loaded question there," he said, preparing to give a variation on his answer to the lick-your-chops question. "They're really doing a great job against the run as they showed against Tennessee and when that happens, you've got to try to throw the ball to try to be effective. I think they're playing incredibly well. It's impressive to see those guys. They're doing a great job against the run, and in that case you're going to have to be effective throwing the ball."

While Rodgers was being politically correct, the two men who know the Chicago defense best Bears coach Lovie Smith and middle linebacker Brian Urlacher gave their unvarnished opinions of the pass defense.

"We're just not stopping the pass very well," Urlacher said.

"With how we've played pass defense, I would assume most teams would want to pass just about every time against us," added Smith, whose defense has generated just 17 sacks and only five in the last four games. "We just haven't made enough plays in the passing game. I can't give you a reason why. Sometimes statistics can be a little misleading. We haven't made some plays in key situations, but overall I'm pleased with some of the things we've done on the defensive side.

"To me, you talk about good defense, you're talking about, how are they doing on scoring? And we're 15th in that. Third downs are also important. We're a top-five team on that. You look at takeaways (tied for first in the NFL with 20). We just haven't played the pass well. Hopefully, we can get that taken care of."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy, meanwhile, said in his conference call with Chicago-area media that he'd like his offense to be "balanced," and he wasn't just saying that.

Halfback Ryan Grant has grown increasingly productive 439 of his 625 yards have come in the past five games and the ground game (16 carries, 75 yards) was one of the few offensive bright spots in last Sunday's loss to Minnesota.

That said, if the Bears take the same approach to stopping the run they took against Tennessee putting eight and nine defenders up near the line of scrimmage McCarthy won't be afraid to go pass-heavy in his play-calling.

"How are they going to play us this week? ... Are they going to load the box like you saw a lot of in the Tennessee game? Those are the questions that really will be answered on Sunday," McCarthy said. "The bottom line is scoring points. It's important to run the football because you establish the line of scrimmage, (but) we're going to get the ball in the end zone any way we need possible."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Since69
15 years ago
Well, last week about this time I would have sworn we were going to crush the Viqueens, so I don't feel comfortable making predictions about this Bears game on Sunday. I'll hedge my bets and tone it down a little...

Packers 34, Bears 13
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Since... I think we very well might see the best game of the season come from the Packers this weekend.. if not, I will be truly disappointed overall.

Time to roll boys.

Packers 31 Bears 12.. yep for field goals.. providing Hester doesn't break one off.

I think this defense will be stirred up like a kid just kicked the hive out of the tree... one pissed off bunch.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I've always felt that with the Bears games stats were thrown out the window. Nothing you expect or have seen in the past typically happens. It's normally a tough physical game regardless of previous weakness/strength.

Example, we earned half our losses from the Bears last season. (for those who can't figure that out, we lost four games, two of them were to the bears).
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
Reading that article, and being a Republican, I just wish we could have done one of those hologram thinga-ma-jigs and got Aaron Rodgers on the podium in the debates instead of John McCain. I still want Rodgers as my quarterback, and well, you know the rest... :thumbleft:

It is time for a shockingly good game from the Pack. I so desperately want to make my second post in the bears forum as obnoxious as is humanly possible... As I had stated in my introduction there, I like to give what I get, and if anyone ever deserved a troll-like response, it is those bears fans.
A nice, total, thorough, unequivocal, scary bad ass-whipping would do wonders for my rhetorical repotoire. :icon_smile:
4PackGirl
15 years ago
exactly what i was thinkin zero. their stats are thrown out as well as ours. it's usually a nasty battle. we need the W!
gbpfan
15 years ago
We need this win,and you stop Hester and mike you pretty much have a good game.This should be a win but I said that last week :icon_smile:
Cheesey
15 years ago
I'm getting tired of getting our butts kicked by a guy named "Lovie". :physassult: :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
15 years ago
If Childress can beat the Packers, McCarthy can beat the Bears.

Now that Barnett's out, the Big 5 and Chillar can all play. I better see some aggression in this game, or you can write off this season.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

(for those who can't figure that out, we lost four games, two of them were to the bears).

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

No, actually we lost 3 games, 2 to the bears so that would mean we lost 66.6 percent of our games to them...more than half.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.